after thoughts...

Started by Walker done done, August 13, 2010, 12:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

So as I'm readying to board a plane back to the east coast, back to reality and saying goodbye to Phish tour...until the fall....I am left with these thoughts:

Telluride was an amazing experience, but the thing that carried the weight was the actual setting of the shows than the shows themselves, and after seeing tonights Deer Creek setlist, it further cements my feelings about the 2 day run. 

Let me get it out of the way that I had a really really really good time.  Brought my daughter to her first Phish show = enough said.  A highlight in my life that will never fade.  But speaking on the actual music/song selection/performance/execution/etc. whatever you want to call it, Phish was "here and there" and part of me was left hoping for a bit more.  There were a few awkward transitions and miscommunications. A few head scratchers let's say: Backwards coming out of Sand, the abrupt transition from the 6 minute Tweezer into Boogie On (clearly a miscommunication, but Boogie On was still sweet, just bummed about Tweezer jam getting lopped off prematurley, the continued fumbles of Walk Away (they can't seem to "nail" the changes), and why in the world Trey feels the need to play over Mike on Destiny Unbound is beyond me - give this one a listen, it's bloomin' awful.  Good news is we didn't notice it that bad at the show.  But, there were definitley a few "hell yeahs!" as well.  Camel Walk seems to be making a resurrgence, Light Up Or Leave Me Alone was awesome to see, Quinn bust-out was such a nice treat, not to mention a minor nod to Jerry on his day...as well as the Mind Left Body Jam they raged, and the 2nd night featured a sweet Timber jam, Roses Are Free was great, and Crosseyed is ALWAYS a treat. Shit, plane is boarding...will write more later!

To my own fault, I was really hoping for the epic of epics, and we certainly got that with the surroundings, the town, the vibe.  However, Telluride is a one-of-a-kind place that words cannot describe...if you guys want, I'll post some select pics from our time there to give you an idea of what this place looks like.  For those who haven't been (and it was my first time to Telluride...been to Colorado many a time but never to T-Ride), it is a majestic place at the end of the road, and the townfolk were so nice, so welcoming...the town itself was transformed into this small festival feel for the few days we were there and we all knew we were in a special setting.  Definitely a treat, as far as overall experiences go.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

patrickstefanski

bummer man.  Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.

I too was a little baffled by treys Destiny verse runs.  Even in Georgia i thought it was little much.

I was checking the setlists like a fiend throughout the 2 days...and i was a little disappointed, but chalked it up to "setlists dont really mean shit, it's all about how they play." But to hear that they weren't even "on" stinks.

Sorry man, have a safe trip back.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Walker done done

Thanks, back safe and sound.

Don't get me wrong, there was some really nice playing during the 2 day run, but also some stuff that you sit there and wonder why they chose what they chose to play. 

I wanted to hear Buffalo Bill sooooo freaking bad, but after listening to last night's version from the Creek, I'm glad it wasn't that one!  It was too fast, the harmonies were nowhere to be found, and they skipped the melody solo at the end (one of my favorite parts).  Ah well.  Beggers can't be choosers, as they say.  I'm very happy to be seeing them at all, and yet I'm still entitled to have an opinion, even if it's not always an A+.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

patrickstefanski

Quote from: Walker done done on August 13, 2010, 01:09:44 PM

Don't get me wrong, there was some really nice playing during the 2 day run, but also some stuff that you sit there and wonder why they chose what they chose to play. 

I wanted to hear Buffalo Bill sooooo freaking bad, but after listening to last night's version from the Creek, I'm glad it wasn't that one!  It was too fast, the harmonies were nowhere to be found, and they skipped the melody solo at the end (one of my favorite parts).  Ah well.  Beggers can't be choosers, as they say.  I'm very happy to be seeing them at all, and yet I'm still entitled to have an opinion, even if it's not always an A+.

well said, i hate the "phish can do no wrong" people anyway. not every show is "THE GREATEST WHO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" like you see on livephish.com, i'd rather hear 1 honest break down of the show then 1000 raving reviews that say nothing.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Poster

first night of cincinatti last year, WAS one of the best shows ever. :0) the next night, i left early!

cactuskeeb

Walker I had no idea you had a daughter.  How old?  Did you make her wear the giant headphones, to block the noise, like you see kids wearing at Monster Truck rallies? 

ShockedAndPersuaded

My brother and I where discussing the To-hell-u-ride show and we shared in the same disappointment.  After listening it was very lackluster at times.  Everyone has there bad night or two.  Walker I have a friend who plays bass for Sam Bush and Jerry Douglas and he goes out there every year for a big bluegrass festival they hold and he says the same thing about the place.  He said it's a "you just have to be there" kinda deal.

Quote from: posternutbag on August 13, 2010, 01:51:44 PM
first night of cincinatti last year, WAS one of the best shows ever. :0) the next night, i left early!
I was there second night and wished I would have made the first run. 

Quote from: patrickstefanski on August 13, 2010, 01:27:55 PM
Quote from: Walker done done on August 13, 2010, 01:09:44 PM

well said, i hate the "phish can do no wrong" people anyway. not every show is "THE GREATEST WHO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" like you see on livephish.com, i'd rather hear 1 honest break down of the show then 1000 raving reviews that say nothing.
You mean every show isn't EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

Poster

one of the worst shows sans coventry was definitely in New Orleans.

Shitty sound, shitty venue, no lot, birds flying around shitting on everybody (one landed on treys mic which was kinda cool)

Shitty setlist. Generally, just a bad show all around. 

picture_of_nectar

I thought the first night was a bit weak, and cuncur on the funky transitions. The second night was much tighter IMHO. Thought it was great.

Personally I'd rather see them trainwreck a segue then to stop playing alltogether.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone