Rig of the amateur: happyorange

Started by Happyorange27, September 12, 2010, 07:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

I bet that sound bubble is great, what mics do you use?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on May 06, 2012, 08:19:40 PM
I was using Audio Technica and now EV mics. They are dynamic cardioids. They sound just fine. I'm sure some condenser mics would rule but that's down the road. Yep the bubble is where it's at. Sustain without ridiculous volume.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Happyorange27

For giggles I added more capacitance to the sweep range cap in my cry baby. It was already .022 (Hendrix stock value). Most cry babies have .010. I went to .042 by putting some caps in parallel. I like it. More bass and less treble. Almost like a volume pedal on the very low end. No harsh top end. Likes OD better. I added little proto sockets to that part of the PCB so I can play around with values.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Nice, I always like your thoughts etc on wah. I have been thinking I might need a different wah - it hasn't gotten switched on too often lately.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Exactly! Now mine is tolerable. Send me your wah and I'll add those sockets and give you caps and resistors to play with. Redeem that pedal:)

Heady Jam Fan

Yea - thanks man! Maybe I will, I have to decide if it is a good platform to begin with - it is a Budwah, kinda more midrangy. I think the low-end gets lost in the mix a bit, but I need to put some time in with it again to recall why I haven't been turning it on as often.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

I just got a Jamman Stereo.  It's cool enough.  I did notice diminished treble in the tone.  It's like my tone knob is around 5.  But I think I'm ok with that because I keep my treble on zero on my amp anyway because I just want as much mids as possible.  Heck maybe i'll get a bypass looper eventually, but seriously it's really minuet.  Anyway I think sourd has one and spoke highly of the robustness.  I will say there is no noise added to the signal.  I like that you can store different loops and just toggle between them using the foot up and down buttons.  So you can record a verse and a chorus in separate loops.  Just switch to the next loop anytime ahead of time and it will wait for that first loop to finish and seamlessly go into the next loop; doesn't skip a beat.
The rhythm accompaniment is limited to like 9 samples and they are like metronome or like boom-chuck sounds; nothing elaborate.  But hell it's totally fine for messing around and practicing jams.  It's cool because when you lay down your first loop, the drums automatically quantize to the duration of your loop and subdivide perfectly.  So it's doing some calculations to make the rhythm match your beat.  That means you don't need to manually set up the drums.  You can always tap tempo ahead of time if you want.
So there is more to play with, but that is the jest of it.

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on November 08, 2012, 08:37:32 AM
I just got a Jamman Stereo.  It's cool enough.  I did notice diminished treble in the tone.  It's like my tone knob is around 5.  But I think I'm ok with that because I keep my treble on zero on my amp anyway because I just want as much mids as possible.  Heck maybe i'll get a bypass looper eventually, but seriously it's really minuet.  Anyway I think sourd has one and spoke highly of the robustness.  I will say there is no noise added to the signal.  I like that you can store different loops and just toggle between them using the foot up and down buttons.  So you can record a verse and a chorus in separate loops.  Just switch to the next loop anytime ahead of time and it will wait for that first loop to finish and seamlessly go into the next loop; doesn't skip a beat.
The rhythm accompaniment is limited to like 9 samples and they are like metronome or like boom-chuck sounds; nothing elaborate.  But hell it's totally fine for messing around and practicing jams.  It's cool because when you lay down your first loop, the drums automatically quantize to the duration of your loop and subdivide perfectly.  So it's doing some calculations to make the rhythm match your beat.  That means you don't need to manually set up the drums.  You can always tap tempo ahead of time if you want.
So there is more to play with, but that is the jest of it.

Jamman Stereo is great. I think it's equally as easy as the Boomerang to use live.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Stecks

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 17, 2012, 04:03:32 PM
Nice, I always like your thoughts etc on wah. I have been thinking I might need a different wah - it hasn't gotten switched on too often lately.

I love my VOX...  can't go wrong...
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Stecks

Quote from: Happyorange27 on May 06, 2012, 09:13:47 PM
Quote from: tomasmaclennan on May 06, 2012, 08:19:40 PM
I was using Audio Technica and now EV mics. They are dynamic cardioids. They sound just fine. I'm sure some condenser mics would rule but that's down the road. Yep the bubble is where it's at. Sustain without ridiculous volume.

I have an AKG C2000B phantom powered through an old Behringer EURORACK MX602A..  The AKG condenser is out of production now, I'm sure there are much better ones, but I like mine, I've had it for about 10 years or so (at least!)... think it was about 3 bills when I first got it.  Probably better ones out there for much less now.
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Happyorange27

Heady Jam Fan

Happyorange27