Rig of the amateur: happyorange

Started by Happyorange27, September 12, 2010, 07:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

Sweet demo. Just saw this for the first time!

You make that Sustaniac thing sount pretty nice! I still don't understand what it is from the video, a digital pickup? It's amazing what you can do with digital pedals. For me, the fun of hollowbodies...even cheaper ones, is that the controlled sustain isn't allways gauranteed just from taping the string. It's something you gotta work out of the instrument. With different pedal combinations and positioning to the amp, the variables change and keep you on your toes. That challenge of making it hum and not shriek or die off is a fun balancing act. Makes me feel like I'm riding a wave of sound or something, and could wipe out at any second...and often do...

I like your tone for sure. I'm also a Blues Jr fan, mine has a Vintage 30 in it which I really like.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

Thanks man!  Here is the instructional video I made for the Sustaniac.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pu4KCH6b3Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I made this mostly because noone else has made one with most of the details along with demonstrating the modes of operation. It's not a pedal as you'll see:).

Oh and I do want to ride that wave you speak of some day...some day.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

I helped my friend buy an ibanez hollowboy for $400. Actually ha really nice tone and sustain.  Not out of reach foranybody I don't think.

Happyorange27

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on February 18, 2011, 12:23:44 PM
I helped my friend buy an ibanez hollowboy for $400. Actually ha really nice tone and sustain.  Not out of reach foranybody I don't think.

Yep that's more realistic for my budget.  After I get my amp all modded out, I'll start to look into such a guitar.  I've been torn on whether to sell my wolfgang to raise money for a new guitar or just save up to add a guitar.

One other thing I'm messing around with is designing my own hollow body (just the body) on my 3D Cad sofware and then having a rapid prototype built (SLA) if you are familiar with the process.  I can throw on a Warmoth neck and the appropriate electronics.  It would be fun and it might sound shitty or amazing.  Who knows.  All I know is I've got these designs in my head and I want them to come to life.  As a design engineer, it would be a shame if I never bring them to life.  Just spending time documenting all the critical dimensions of a guitar right now so that it all assembles perfectly the first time.

Thanks for all your continued help man.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

This is the Ibanez Semi Hollow I picked up. It had a nice setup and upgraded D'marzio pickups. My buddy looooves it.

http://www.massstreetmusic.com/store/show_item/4198-Ibanez-AGS83B

I plugged it into my Bls Jr for a bit and was really impressed. Also I like the styling compared to alot of the other Artcore seriesn models.

Happyorange27

It's pretty classy looking.  I like a good amount of the Artcore series very much and that's probably what I'll end up getting.  Thanks for being so helful.

I played an Artcore through a BJ and thats what kick started this whole transformation of gear lately.

Happyorange27

I'm pleased to share some videos of my Billm mods on the Blues Jr. If you hear clipping, it's the iPhone microphone, not the amp. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUPw1wvgi8s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXl8Bpgynss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIRfAlQbihY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Happyorange27

ColForbin

Man, I just want to say I think you have a great thing going with your tone.  I don't think it's just one thing, but a combination of everything you got going on.  I watched the you tube clips and the sound cloud recording and I really dig it.

How do you like the soundcloud app?  Is it a free app?
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Happyorange27

Quote from: ColForbin on March 24, 2011, 07:34:00 AM
Man, I just want to say I think you have a great thing going with your tone.  I don't think it's just one thing, but a combination of everything you got going on.  I watched the you tube clips and the sound cloud recording and I really dig it.

How do you like the soundcloud app?  Is it a free app?

Soundcloud has a free app for the iphone; simple to use.  I think I got the idea from PON.

Wow man I appreciate it!!!  ;D Thanks.  I like to think I've made SOME progress.  Poster didn't give me such a great review as you did; I almost jumped in the lake.  :P  (Serioulsly though he is helping me up my game which I am appreciative for sure).  I think I was just trying to squeeze out all my tricks, which are admitidly choppy and non cohesive.  Remember kids, I came onto this forum knowing very little about good tone and I've made some strides.  I'm enjoying the journey.  If you think my playing is Phishy that's probably because I listen to live Phish for hours each day.  I'm trying to diversify currently, using Pandora radio.  It's opening my eyes to so many great artists.

Be yourself.  Enjoy playing.  Push yourself.  Connect with your audience.  Have a nice day.

Happyorange27

Happyorange27

I put a new output transformer in the Blues Jr. Also added a clean boost channel to add 10 db any time. Adds before output tubes as not to distort preamp signal. Also swapped mid cap out for smaller value as to get more mids. I haven't cranked it up yet, but even playing quietly it's sweet.

Happyorange27

So the biggest change to my rig just transpired in the past couple of weeks.  I sold most of my pedals and my Wolfgang and brought in the A.O. hollow body guitar.  That is not an easy decision to make, but it was the right decision.  I got so attached to that gear because I'm a sentimental person and I was in my comfort zone.  So now I'm the Caterpillar breaking out of the cocoon.  New skin, new body, and with wings!  Stripped of the components that gravity can pull on.

So with just an few pedals and an incredibly strong source or colorful guitar shapes at my fingertips and sounds coming cleanly out of my highly modded amp, I start my new quest.  This is the next quantum.  It feels good.  I took some really good advice from some very experienced folks on this forum.  If it wasn't for this forum, I'd be sucking digital, solid-state, tone sucking ass still!  My advice...is to take advice.

Happyorange27

Here is the AO in action.  It's just down and dirty (or should i say just clean).  Better demos to come. 

http://youtu.be/CYmWLDxjRuk

phishlips

sounds good happy.  can't wait to hear some more.
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.