What up G's: I'm happyorange (Eric B); glad to be here

Started by Happyorange27, September 12, 2010, 08:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Hey all you crazy gear heads, you've got me stoked about diving into the world of proper gear, tone, and techniques.  I've been rambling everywhere else on the net but then, bingo you guys are talking about some seriously great things.  I'm a mechanical engineer in Akron, OH who always loved to improvise, listen to Trey, and work at getting "the tone".  I'm super laid back and friendly and I love to network.  If you need CAD drawing, 3D modeling, prototypes of anything let me know.  I've modified my own pedals and designed a pcb for a wah.  Oh I make my own beer and wine which really makes the jamming in my basement that much better:)  Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all; i feel I already do know some of you after reading about 100 threads this weekend.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

welcome eric! just about everything you need to know is in older threads, but there is plenty of new things on the chopping block! cheers buddy!

Happyorange27

Thanks poster, I'm so excited you are my first reply. Oh the BMGs are totally rocking man. I dig.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

Very cool man, next time were up in your neighborhood, ill add you to the guest list :0)

Walker done done

LOL Poster, tell your mom to stop posting in the forum in an effort to make you look better  :D ;)

j/k...(sorta)....welcome orangeguy.  Welcome to the machine.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

Quote from: Walker done done on September 13, 2010, 09:45:56 AM
LOL Poster, tell your mom to stop posting in the forum in an effort to make you look better  :D ;)

j/k...(sorta)....welcome orangeguy.  Welcome to the machine.

^ What went up your skirt. My moms been dead for 9 years.

Happyorange27

I'm sorry to hear that poster (otherwise I was going to advise you to wear clean underwear before you left the house).  Walker dude, thanks a bunch. You too are the man on this forum.  Already learned a bunch from all your input. ;)

Walker done done

Quote from: posternutbag on September 13, 2010, 09:57:26 AM
Quote from: Walker done done on September 13, 2010, 09:45:56 AM
LOL Poster, tell your mom to stop posting in the forum in an effort to make you look better  :D ;)

j/k...(sorta)....welcome orangeguy.  Welcome to the machine.

^ What went up your skirt. My moms been dead for 9 years.

Dude, obviously I wasn't intending to pull a pun between the two.  And obviously you know that I didn't know that, and had I, I would've gone with your sister, your girlfriend, your dog, etc.  I hope you understand there was no malicious intention and that I was simply trying to make a joke.  My apolgies if you feel it was inappropriate.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

Lol. I always break peoples balls when they do momma jokes, so sorry if I made you feel  :'(

But seriously, momma been dead for 9 years. Weird to think she never even saw me play a show? /end creepy thought.

Orange: I love your energy man. It reminds me, of, me. Keep playing. If your personality is any indicator you will become one hell of a guitar player.

Happyorange27

Thanks poster, you must have checked me out on YouTube.  I'm very high energy and love to engage the audience.  There has to be that connection with them in order for both of us to get off if you will.  After high school I had to decide to be a music major or an engineer...i went with the more stable route and it has served me well, but i would love to drop it all and go on tour.
I really appreciate your words.

Poster

you made the right call.

majoring in music is a waste of time. there is enough resources available online to get that education for free> see bit torrent.

(with that in mind you could say ive graduated from the berkley school of music. lol)

definitely would recommend tossing half you gear, but hey man, its your voice. if you can talk through that rig and it sounds like it does inside your head, youve

got the tone bone. 

Happyorange27

Thanks, I love to toss half of it too.  Just need to strategically toss (sell) and replace (upgrade) as the budget allows.  I'm sure from what I'm reading here I can do some quick bang for the buck on some simple things (like get a Ross clone and sell the CS-3)...simple stuff like that.  It will be fun.

Poster

It seems nuts, but I would recommend you dump it ALL at once. Simply clean and list each and every thing on ebay at one time. Just keep an acoustic handy.

When you start with less you will learn more. Then as you add each component to the epic rig, you can see whats what. Really youve gotta free yourself of all that

stuff. Its just stuff. Just guitar, tuner, overdrive x1, comp, amp. Maybe a phrase sampler for practicing riffs. Then gradually add what you want

Happyorange27

Master Yoda, it appears you are having Luke (me) put on the blindfold and rely on nothing but the fundamentals, using the "force".  You want me to go cold turkey like an addict that must get that next junkie pedal.  Well thank you for that philisophical advice. 

Funny thing is that after I read your post while driving, some of my old acoustic only songs came on my ipod and it was almost a sign that it makes sense.  Now to give me some credit, i started out only on acoustic for years, then got an amp, then a guitar, then a crappy pedal, and another crappy delay, etc.  Hey i though Boss meant they were the best:)

Well if sold all my junk, it couldn't be more that $1500-2000.  I'm not sure how to approach this.  I'm sure noone has ever gone to such an extreme (or have they).  To give you credit, i played an Artcore guitar straight into a Blues Junior amp at Guitar Center a couple weeks ago, and it was blissfull.  I sat there for an hour just loving the "closer to Trey" sound that I've ever had coming out of my own playing.  So indeed I know what you are getting at (and that was just low end stuff).

So I'm going to ponder your recommendation for a while.  It funny how you get attached to "things" however.  And if you look at my gear, it's not extensive, it's just not right.  I know that my number one goal is good guitar and good amp.  I'm digging the AO guitar stuff but want to learn more.  I assume you would point me in that direction. (Actually i want to get some more details on your rig so i can get a better perspective from where you are coming from.)

Poster

Put it this way, you decide to take the plunge, Ill find you a guitar thatll make that artcore look like a burnt bigfoot turd. Same with the amp. All together you wont even spend 1500.

Trust me, at one point I had something like 15 tech maintained guitars at one time (this was years ago). Ive played out of dual full stacks, gone through the PRS line, blown money on gear in every way possible.

My only intent is to save you time, money, and get you really progressing. Its been my experience, that when you find the tone bone, there is no turning back.

Trust not the Jedi, but in the Force.