Main Menu

Acoustic Rigs

Started by phishlips, September 17, 2010, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishlips

Hey, any of you guys playing acoustic live?  Just wondering if any of you guys have a good acoustic set up.  I've always done the electric thing mostly because its more fun, but also because generally acoustics sound awful through a PA.  Not that I have any money at the moment to buy more gear, I'd be interested in hearing what you guys are using.  Anything special?  Just acoustic amps?  Particular DI boxes?  Other pedals that would keep it sounding like an acoustic guitar?  Whatcha got?
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

picture_of_nectar

My bandmate plays a Taylor through my Roland AC-90 which has a line-out to our PA.

He also uses a AM Maxon OD9 tubescreamer with it, and a DD7 that he just uses for the reverse dealy function when things get crazy.

Overall it sounds pretty good.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Poster

EHX Magnum 44 with LR Baggs preamp from an Epiphone Master Built! Tits Mcgee

phishlips

cool, thanks guys for the info.  I'll looking into those setups.  I've just always been turned off by soo many guys in the area playing an acoustic straight into a pa.  It sounds like crap to me.  Having that with the fact that my band plays mostly electric type stuff its been easy not to spend money on another rig to bring out and set up, but it'd be a nice change now and then.  Thanks again guys.
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

Poster

cant stress enough how great these epiphone master built acoustics are when properly setup... with the LR baggs + solid state amp with plenty of headroom = a huge sound

ColForbin

Quote from: posternutbag on September 21, 2010, 01:12:18 AM
cant stress enough how great these epiphone master built acoustics are when properly setup... with the LR baggs + solid state amp with plenty of headroom = a huge sound

You speak the truth about those epiphone master builts, they are simply incredible.

I do acoustic shows from time to time and I have a Martin DC-16GTE electric acoustic, with the martin prefix blend preamp.  Basically there is adjustable mic inside the sound hole and a pickup so you can choose what kind of blend of the two you wish.  It's a smoking acoustic, I love it.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=DC-16GTE%20Premium

Anyways, I usually just use a DI and go straight into the PA system.  A place I played at semi-regularly in the summer had one of those Bose tower units, slick setup for sure.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

aoguitars

My buddy Ryan from the Ryan Montbleau Band, who plays coast-to-coast in any type of venue that you can think of, plays through the Fishman Aura thingy and loves it. It's really hard to amplify an acoustic (he plays a Collings) and retain its tone without sounding like ass, but the Aura does a killer job.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

phishlips

Hey Andrew, thanks for the tip on what Ryan uses.  His tone is great, thats for sure.  I've seen him a few times around here and met him once.  Seemed like a real cool guy and he actually gave me your card.  I forget what I was asking him about, whether it was his guitar, strap, or cables...anyway he had given me your card.  Seems like you've got yourself a really good thing going, I obviously don't know you but its just nice to see someone doing well.  Next time I find myself north of Boston I'd like to stop by your shop and try one of your gorgeous guitars.  Thanks again for the info.