Main Menu

Trey's guitars in order.

Started by deadbearbobby, November 09, 2010, 06:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbearbobby

All right, I have spent the last month and a half going through every Phish related website and this what i've got. The complete list of all Trey's guitars. Here we go:

Ibanez MC 150 in the polar white finish
Timecaster- Made by Time guitars
1st languedoc- Flammed maple top, paduak sides and back. This 'doc had the single coil in the middle position and two humbuckers. Three knobs for tone and volume and the mini switches and the three-way selector. This is the one seen in the Clifford Ball DVD's and at everyshow from '89 till '97. This one has a different shaped headstock, with the inlay of Marley sitting with a thought bubble that reads "who's the mar-mar?"

2nd Languedoc- Spruce top, flammed maple sides and back. Volume knob, tone knob, three-way pickup selector, Two humbuckers. This one has The inlay of Marley chasing a cat. The headstock shape is lin the shape of vermont, like the current G2's being built by paul. you can see pictures of a long haired Trey holding it here:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/84331378  also, the video of oysterhead playing on Conan on youtube shows Trey playing this guitar. This is also the guitar that Trey had refinished in the vintage sunburst color... those pictures on Phish.com and are featured with the pics from his lates 'doc.

3rd is the first koa. This is the one that arrived in 1997. This one is redder in color and features tha current set up of the G2's being produced today.This one is seen in everylive show from '97 till the phish breakup. This is the one with pearl inlays in the fret.

4th Languedoc is also koa, but a lighter koa with two flammed "stripes". This one was built in 1999, but used only a few times with phish. It was brought out as the main guitar used by Trey after the phish breakup. It can be seen used with Trey's solo band and the hampton shows and all phish shows until july 2010.

5th Languedoc is the latest addition. it features an ocelot on the headstock and highly flammed koa top and body. it also has cocobolo binding and a unique 12th fret inlyay.

There was a green doc used by Trey at fenway. This is rumored to be the Languedoc guitar owned by Page. This is unoffical. also Trey had Paul build him a Jazz box in the shape of the G2. This was seen at some shows but never used live.

So... here it is.
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets
not in use: Vox AC4, Flanger hoax, Giga delay, PIgtronix Mothership

patrickstefanski

You forgot (at least) one.

At IT trey had a big ole fat bodied Languedoc...more like a traditional archtop.  He picked it up for about 2 minutes and then disappeared into Phish history.

Still worth mentioning though.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

sour d

Quote from: patrickstefanski on November 09, 2010, 07:23:02 PM

At IT trey had a big ole fat bodied Languedoc...more like a traditional archtop.  He picked it up for about 2 minutes and then disappeared into Phish history.

That was supposed to be the jazz guitar. Only had 1 pickup in the neck position. Where did that go?  And don't forget the oysterhead antler guitar the matterhorn. He would pretend to get sounds by rubbing the horns when he was really doing volume swells with the volume knob.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

picture_of_nectar

In the Fest 8 3D video Trey was warming up with the guest singers/horns with a Sunburst G2.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

patrickstefanski

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on November 10, 2010, 04:45:49 AM
In the Fest 8 3D video Trey was warming up with the guest singers/horns with a Sunburst G2.

this is true.   This is the guitar referred to in the original post...his first languedoc (as refinished to the sunburst).
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

picture_of_nectar

Refinished??? Are you sure about that???

patrickstefanski

I remember thinking that during the movie.

at first i was liek "oh sweet new doc" but if you look , marley is definitely on the headstock.
Current Rig:

picture_of_nectar

deadbearbobby

Quote from: sour d on November 09, 2010, 09:12:56 PM
Quote from: patrickstefanski on November 09, 2010, 07:23:02 PM

At IT trey had a big ole fat bodied Languedoc...more like a traditional archtop.  He picked it up for about 2 minutes and then disappeared into Phish history.

That was supposed to be the jazz guitar. Only had 1 pickup in the neck position. Where did that go?  And don't forget the oysterhead antler guitar the matterhorn. He would pretend to get sounds by rubbing the horns when he was really doing volume swells with the volume knob.
Damn... both right... i was really just focused on the "main" doc's... but both of those will be added.
Thanks
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets

deadbearbobby

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on November 10, 2010, 09:55:13 AM
Refinished??? Are you sure about that???

Yeah positive... it's on the gear page in a photo. In the pic it's hanging up with two G4's.

picture_of_nectar

Are you able to find the link to that pic, never seen it. Much appreciated!

aoguitars

Also, your order of the first two is off.

Curly Maple Top/Padauk B+S with the Two Buckers and the single in the middle (which was removed) was the '87 Protoype with Marley saying "Who's the Mar Mar?" on the headstock. This was the more streamlined headstock shape, without the cutout that we see in Paul's work starting with #2 to current. This is the on the back of Lawnboy:

The second one was Spruce Top/Maple B+S with Marley chasing the cat saying "I'm the Mar Mar.":

As for the #2 being refinished, this is a pretty crazy notion. It's definitely the same headstock and inlay (from what little I've seen), but it also has a new set of fingerboard inlays, which leads me to believe that the board was replaced as well...it also adds the mini-switches which #2 did not have originally:

ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

deadbearbobby

Andrew is right... thanks. I have changed the order of the list. Thanks, with all the conflicting pictures and list online it is tough to get it all straight, which is the point of this post. My only question though, is that trey is shown with long hair in the picture link i posted in the first post... and why would paul go from three pickus and all the switching capablity to the 2 humbuckers with volume and tone? It makes sense that this is the right order because of the headstocks and the inlay, but just seems odd to me... i guess thats why trey never really played it much live... very few pictures of the spruce top languedoc. thanks again AO... You're input is great! also i sent you another email... more guitar thoughts.
peace.

picture_of_nectar

I am thinking the tobacco burst Doc is just a different one with the same Marley headstock inlay. I've read Trey has 10 Docs and it wouldn't suprise me that he gets the choice one out of each batch Paul makes.

I don't remember seeing the Spruce one. I dint think it was used live much. The board inlay looks almost Gibsonish.

aoguitars

My guess about #2 not being used much in live settings is that guitar was probably pretty hard to handle at such loud volumes. Spruce tops really howl when going through that much juice...and the Curly Maple B+S would have also made for a pretty bright sounding guitar. Perhaps it just didn't jive in the big venues tone-wise.

In looking at that one photo of the Tobacco Burst (I'd love to see more if anyone finds any), I really think that it's #2 with a refin. I can't imagine Paul would 1) go through the trouble of making another headstock with that same shape (which has since been tweaked to what he does now) with that same exact inlay, or 2) put the volume knob and pickup selector back in those old spots if it was a totally new guitar (they also have moved on the new ones). That Burst picture is definitely a Spruce top, which also jives with #2. It's the fingerboard inlays that throw me off...my guess is that something must have happened to the guitar (back-bowed neck or bad rod, or maybe it fell of a stand and cracked somewhere) to the point where that fingerboard needed replacing. That also makes sense with a total refin to a Tobacco Burst, since a lot of black is used, which is often used to hide repairs. It's a lot of work to replace a fingerboard, so I can't imagine that it was just a spur-of-the-moment thought to change the inlays.

Also, there was supposed to be a 3rd Marley guitar, but none have surfaced (at least, to my knowledge)...could be a private guitar that never got played out.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com