Main Menu

Ibanez Artcore?

Started by fulltone1989, December 06, 2010, 10:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hey everybody,

So I am thinking of getting one of these guys, simply because I play at a lot of house parties and don't want to subject my baby to furthur punishment at those places. She is an ES-339 30/60, and I want to find something similar, but a hollow-body so there is some difference between the two. What are some model #'s that I could look at? I am a huge fan of the small bodies and really like the AS73Gs I have seen, but I am curious as to what you all might recommend.

Thanks,
      Tom
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Brian27

If you can spare $200-$300 to replace the pickups the AS73 might not be a bad choice. The Epiphone Dot also would be a good choice but again youd want to change pickups. I recommend a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Jazz or "59" in the neck for those P.A.F. tones.

Happyorange27

I played one and really loved it.   
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

How big is the body on the AS73?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Happyorange27

The profile is a little bigger than my Wolfgang, but didn't seem unreasonable.  The thickness of the body was nice an small, as far as chambered guitars go (not thick).  I did notice the guitar was heavy too, at least compared to my solid Wolfgang.  Also, I think the body made it a little body heavy and thus not so balanced.  This is all just because I know how well my guitar fits to my body and is nimble and balanced.  Like anything, you could get used to it.  I can see why Trey's guitar works so well, because it's a mini hollow and it fits under his arm easily.
Anyway, I'd pick up the Artcore for myself as a gateway guitar (since i have not chambered guitar yet).  For me it was the closest I have gotten to Trey's sound.  For you it's the other way around and you want to downgrade, but not buy something shitty.  I vote yes for this purchase.

FYI i played it through a Blues Junior III and it was da bomb.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on December 06, 2010, 02:09:46 PM
The profile is a little bigger than my Wolfgang, but didn't seem unreasonable.  The thickness of the body was nice an small, as far as chambered guitars go (not thick).  I did notice the guitar was heavy too, at least compared to my solid Wolfgang.  Also, I think the body made it a little body heavy and thus not so balanced.  This is all just because I know how well my guitar fits to my body and is nimble and balanced.  Like anything, you could get used to it.  I can see why Trey's guitar works so well, because it's a mini hollow and it fits under his arm easily.
Anyway, I'd pick up the Artcore for myself as a gateway guitar (since i have not chambered guitar yet).  For me it was the closest I have gotten to Trey's sound.  For you it's the other way around and you want to downgrade, but not buy something shitty.  I vote yes for this purchase.

FYI i played it through a Blues Junior III and it was da bomb.

Yeah, Im just looking to get one for a "not too heartbroken if anything bad happens to it" guitar, now all I gotta do is find a place that has them so I can try it out!

Happyorange27

I'm scoping out a AFS75T on craigslist. It's a true hollow body unlike the AS73. It's still nice and thin so I'm going to investigate.

JamVol

Hello all,
I am new to the site but just got an Ibanez ADJ 91 and Love It.  I also have an awd 82 and it is great as well.  Put new pickups in both and they sing!!  I also wish they made a full hollow double cutaway with the small strat size body but o well.  Good luck you can't go wrong with any of the lot.
Guitars:  Ibanez ADJ91,  Ibanez AWD82, Martin D41  
Effects: GBC95--Ibanez Tubescreamer--Effects Pedal Boutique SRB808 plus Duel Drive--CmatMods Ross Clone--Nova Repeater--Boss TU-2--Digitech Jamman Delay                           
Amp: Fender DDRI
Effects not in use: Whammy 4 and various other crap

Happyorange27

Quote from: JamVol on December 12, 2010, 11:16:50 AM
Hello all,
I am new to the site but just got an Ibanez ADJ 91 and Love It.  I also have an awd 82 and it is great as well.  Put new pickups in both and they sing!!  I also wish they made a full hollow double cutaway with the small strat size body but o well.  Good luck you can't go wrong with any of the lot.
Thanks JamVol!  Welcome. Glad there are others in the Artcore realm since I don't have a large budget for the big guns.