The Revamped undermind's theory

Started by Stiles12, December 07, 2010, 04:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiles12

This for some reason isn't on here so I decided I would at least put forth an effort to add it... considering it is a pretty easy chord structure and the solo is a good way to start using modes underneath all of our solos.

to start this song can be taken as a  I IV V progression starting from A. (A----D----E)

The Chord shapes can be played really anyway you want them to... I found that trey in this song doesn't like to use the droning fifth sound so he plays in an inverted shape; as he does on most songs. ( probably becuase gordon is playing within the key at all times hitting the low end of the root of the chord i.e. jazz basics)

A

e---5
b---5
g---6
d---7
a---7
e---x

D

e---2
b---3
g---2
d---4
a---5
e---x

E

e---4
b---5
g---4
d---6
a---7
e---x

At times looking back he will hit the D and The E as a Bar... you can do it either way...

Fill

e-----------------------------
b----------------------------
g----6---6---6--7---6-----
d-------------------------7--
a-----------------------------
e-----------------------------

Just in this little riff it tells a lot about what you can and cant do. first off, you know that you are not going to be in the lydian mode in the key of A (unless the jam completely changes) you know this because he moves the 3rd (c#) to the fourth (D) and in a Lydian mode you dont hit a Forth (so in A lydian you are not playing a D)  Also dorian is not hitting the 3rd, it is actually hitting the 3b.. so you can rule that out. Others without going into cosmic detail are locrian aolian ect that are out.

While this song can be played in a host of different scales I find playing Mixolydian works best. Probably because it is in Major and the step from E to D also the Mixolydian is going to keep the 3rd and 4th degrees of the song in tact. But trey does not sit in an A mixolydian, he uses a jazz approach and changes the scale every-time the chords change

If you dont know your theory on modes this might be difficult to understand (Ask if you dont know what I am talking about)

I Think trey is playing mixolydian over the top of every chord type for instance he is in a mixolydian A (for ease of your fingers) he is in a Mixo D but plays it in the shape of a dorian from the second string on the fifth Fret. (still just a mixo D) and he is sliding that upward to an E Mixo (again playing in the shape of Dorian from the second string on E)

Note: Playing it in a dorian shape just means that you are in an E mixolydian and when you bring the scale down to that location you are in the dorain shape... NOT PLAYING DORIAN.

YOu have to find the notes that can channel you from one mode to the next and from one note to the next. For instance.

Take the high end of the mixolydian mode for example.

e---7--5-----------------------------------------------------5----7
b----------8---7---5------------------------5---7---8------------
g-----------------------7---6---4---6---7-------------------------

Just by making your next note on the E and 8th fret... you have successfully moved from A mixo to D mixo (Easy  right, this is a continuation from the one above just restating the 5 and 7 on the e string

e---5-----7------(8)----7---5---
b---------------------------------8---7---5
g----------------------------------------------7----5----4

So in reality you went from an A Mixolydian to a D mixolydian by adding a a 3b and removing the natural third. slide that up a step and you are in E Mixolydian, follow the pattern of the chords and you got it.

Well that is it for now, if it is really confusing ask questions... I have a lot of songs like this so if you dont see a song or dont know what he is doing on a solo. let me know, you might just get a confusing rant like this one though.  :)

Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

KevinOnutbag

Thanks for the rant stiles.  I am in the process of learning and understanding theory modes ect.  Seeing it explained in songs that I know but don't excactly know what's going on "behind the scenes"  is a big help.  I hope  you do this with some other songs.   
Lp standard/Mex Strat/Equator Standard>RMC3 wah> ts9 silver mod x2> Comrossor>Fender hot rod deluxe.
Effects loop(Whammy 2>microverb>nanoverb>DM2000>Boomerang 3)

Stiles12

Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

I added this over @ Emil's site a while back but must've forgotton to post here as well.  I took this from the Indio version.  Stiles I haven't read through your post yet so not sure how it jives w/ yours...feel free to correct any of my mistakes.

EDIT: just read through yours, good stuff!  I love how you talk about theory...we need WAY MORE of that on this site. =)

Intro riff:

G>A  A                G>A  A
e ---3^5--5----------------3^5--5-----------------
B ---3^5--5----------------3^5--5-----------------
G ---4^6--6----------------4^6--6---6-6-6-7-6-----
D ---5^7--7---5-7-7-5-7----5^7--7-------------7---
A ---5^7--7----------------5^7--7-----------------
E ---3^5--5----------------3^5--5-----------------

G>A
Undecided, undefined
Undisturbed yet undermind
Relocated not retired
Reprimanded and rewind
Mystified and misshapen
Misinformed but not mistaken
Reinvented, redefined
Rearranged but not refined
D
Unrelenting, understroked
Undeterred yet unprovoked
A
Reinvented, redefined
E
Mystified and misshapen
D
A G > A
Undecided, undefined.

G > A
Undecided, undefined
Undisturbed yet undermind
Relocated not retired
Reprimanded and rewind
D
Mystified and misshapen
G > A
Reinvented, redefined
E
Unrelenting, understroked
D
Undeterred yet unprovoked
G > A
Undecided, undefined.

E & D riff during jam:

e ---7--7---------------5--5------------
B ---9--9---------9-----7--7--------7---
G ---9--9--7^9-11-------7--7--6^7-9-----
D ---9--9---------------7--7------------
A ---7--7---------------5--5------------
E --------------------------------------
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.