Harry Hood (riff)

Started by Walker done done, December 11, 2010, 06:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Hi folks

Been trying to get Hood down and the only part giving me trouble is that snarling riff in the middle--you know the one.

The tab here just doesn't seem 100% correct, and after listening to it a million times just now, here's what I've come up with.  I saw this other tab somewhere and thought it made a little more sense to me but it still was off a bit, so I've modified it.  Wondering if y'all could take a gander and lemme know if it's spot on, or make suggestions as needed.  This is just the first section, I'm not gonna bother typing out the other 2 as they just modulate a step each time...

E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B-----------------------6--5----3----------3---------3----------3----6--5---3----|
G--------------5--4-----------------4-/-5------4-/-5-----4-/-5-------------------|
D------4--3----------------------------------------------------------------------|
A--2-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B----------3-----------3------6--5----3---6--5----3------------3----------3-----------3-------|
G--4-/-5-------4-/-5------4----------------------------4-/-5-------4-/-5-------4-/-5----------|
D---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B---6---5----3-----------3----------3---6---5----3----6----5-----3----------3------|
G-----------------4-/-5-------4-/-5---------------------------------4-/-5-------4--|
D----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

Here is the same thing further up the neck:

E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------10-9-----------------------------------10-9--------------------------
D--------10-9------12---9-10-12--9-10-12---9-10-12---------12---9-10-12--9-10-12---
A----9-8---------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--7-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G---10-9------10-9-----------------------------------10-9--------------------------
D--------12--------12---9-10-12--9-10-12---9-10-12---------12---9-10-12--9-10-12---
A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E---------------------------
B---------------------------
G---10-9------10-9----------
D--------12--------12---9---
A---------------------------
E---------------------------
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

Bump.

Someone else take a look at this and let me know if it's right/wrong?

Loop 3 Boomerang+

jadirusso

I'll take a look at it tonight and offer my advice.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

jadirusso

I think you have the notes right but I think it might be easier to play like this..

E |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
B |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
G |----------------10-9--7--------7--------7--------7--10-9--7--------7-------
D |----------10-9-----------9-h10----9-h10----9-h10-------------9-h10----9-h10
A |----9--8-------------------------------------------------------------------
E |-7-------------------------------------------------------------------------

G |-7--10-9--7--10-9--7--------7--------7--------7--10-9--7--------7--------7-
D |----------------------9-h10----9-h10----9-h10-------------9-h10----9-h10---
A |---------------------------------------------------------------------------

E |------------------------
B |------------------------
G |-10-9--7--10-9--7-------
D |-------------------9----
A |------------------------

Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185

Walker done done

Loop 3 Boomerang+

IamWILSON

Quote from: jadirusso on March 23, 2011, 05:13:37 PM
I think you have the notes right but I think it might be easier to play like this..

This is how I play it too, was gonna suggest changing that 12th fret note to the 7th on the D string, but russo beat me to the punch and actually even tabbed it out!  Sometimes it sounds to me like Trey actually bends that B on the D string up to C instead of hammering it, but I always just do the hammer on as it always sounds cleaner.  This is also one of those riffs that really upset me that Trey had such a difficult time with when they first came back in '09.  He screwed it up every time for the first half of the tour!  And really, is it that hard to take 5 mins out of your day to relearn a riff that you wrote, instead of trying to do it onstage?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

jadirusso

Quote from: IamWILSON on March 24, 2011, 12:36:45 PM
Sometimes it sounds to me like Trey actually bends that B on the D string up to C instead of hammering it, but I always just do the hammer on as it always sounds cleaner. 

Yes I agree that sometimes it sounds like just a bend instead of a hammer on.
Joe

Walker done done

Quote from: jadirusso on March 23, 2011, 05:13:37 PM

Problem with this is it forces me to furter utilize my retarded pinky - after trying this several times I'm much slower on this version.  I actually find it easier to play it the other way for some reason.  Maybe I should keep working on this way though....

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Flavaham

I play the "---9h10---"  part as a bend from 9 rather than a hammer on.