Main Menu

Soldering help?

Started by Flavaham, January 12, 2011, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flavaham

Okay, so I decided to try to learn how to solder so that I might be able to do some mods on my own.  I got an iron and a little board to mess around on to practice up.  I'm having a real hard time getting it to actually make a good connection with any kind of consistency.  Really I'm just making a mess! 

Let me make sure I get the idea:  You hold the iron to the joint to heat it.  Immediately apply the solder to the joint as you remove the iron.  Right?  If I leave the iron on the joint the solder goes everywhere.  If I remove the iron, either the solder does nothing or just beads up quickly but doesn't get into the joint.  What the heck am I doing wrong here?  I know it takes a lot of practice to do this well and consistently but it shouldn't be THIS hard!  I'm going to look for some videos on youtube to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong but either way, any pointers would be VERY helpful!
Thanks!

Walker done done

I'm not great at soldering, but I found this rant to be quite funny, so thanks for the laugh at the very least!  :D

But I think you're on the right track, checking out youtube and the like for some video tips.  That's probably the best way to go unless you actually have someone there in person to help you out.  I'm guessing that sour d could provide a tip or two?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

What kind of iron and solder are you using?  What's the wattage on the soldering iron?  I found that once I started using a Hakko iron with temperature control and Cardas solder, I was the champion at soldering. 

Walker done done

Quote from: cactuskeeb on January 13, 2011, 02:59:44 PM
I was the champion at soldering. 

Did you receive a title belt for this?  If not, I'm calling shennanigans. 

"The next guy that says shennanigans is gonna get pistol whipped!"
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Without a doubt, I am the heavy weight champion of soldering. 

Also, a solder sucker is extremely necessary.

Happyorange27

Cool, I'm getting a Hakko soon. Billm uses one too for amp mods. Way to be.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

sour d

Quote from: Flavaham on January 12, 2011, 10:54:29 PM
You hold the iron to the joint to heat it.  Immediately apply the solder to the joint as you remove the iron.  Right?  If I leave the iron on the joint the solder goes everywhere.  If I remove the iron, either the solder does nothing or just beads up quickly but doesn't get into the joint.  What the heck am I doing wrong here?
Sounds like the iron is too hot. Don't forget to tin the tip of the iron. Keep it clean. Using good quality solder helps.

Strike the hammer while. Iron is hot.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe