Main Menu

Whammy II Settings

Started by Stiles12, July 09, 2007, 10:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiles12

Hey scott how far do you boost up the output on your whammy II, I picked one up the other day and frequently have to change the sound to make it softer or louder, it humms a little when you boost it up it seems. Any Suggestions?
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

Quote from: \"Stiles12\"Hey scott how far do you boost up the output on your whammy II, I picked one up the other day and frequently have to change the sound to make it softer or louder, it humms a little when you boost it up it seems. Any Suggestions?
The whammy is pretty noisy no matter what you do. Trey had the same problem. Trey asked Brian how he could clean up the noise and Brian told him there was no way becasue the whammy and boomerang are just cheaply made effects. Trey then asked Brian to put the whammy and boomerang in the loop with the CAE Super Tremolo. This way when you aren't using these effects they are taken out of the signal chain.

I have a loop that I can turn on and off and in this loop I have the whammy 2 > Headrush Delay > Boomerang. To set the boost on the whammy I first turn the loop off and strum. Then I turn the loop and and strum. I then adjust the gain on the whammy until the volume is the exact same when the loop is on or off. If you don't have a loop you might have a little harder time getting all your settings worked out. You might want to invest into a switch that has a loop or 2 just to take it out of the signal chain when it's not in use.  Here is a link. I had these guys make me a box with 4 loops and a Bypass switch. http://www.loop-master.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=235eb2228319f88d516b2d8b8175e7a8

Hope this helps.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

ColForbin

There is something wrong with my Whammy.  It's like the treadle can't go all the way down, so whenever the effect is on, my pitch goes up unless I hold it down with my foot.  Any help??
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

ColForbin

Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

strangedesign

Quote from: \"ColForbin\"There is something wrong with my Whammy.  It's like the treadle can't go all the way down, so whenever the effect is on, my pitch goes up unless I hold it down with my foot.  Any help??
That sux! Take it to your local guitar shop and they may be able to open it up and figure out what is wrong. Good luck!
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

webephishin

Quote from: Stiles12 on July 09, 2007, 10:22:46 AM
Hey scott how far do you boost up the output on your whammy II, I picked one up the other day and frequently have to change the sound to make it softer or louder, it humms a little when you boost it up it seems. Any Suggestions?

I just picked one up at the local store for $200.  I have the same issue with mine- although i haven't had much time to mess around with it.  But my amp makes a very noticeable hiss/hum even when the whammy is bypassed.  I noticed when i turn the level down on it, the hiss/hum is less intense but it's still there....did you figure anything out about this that could help it?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Happyorange27

1. You need to calibrate the pedal (i think every time you turn it on).  I don't have one but that's what I heard.  Look up the manual.
2.  Yeah these pedals are noisy.  You need to get a true bypass looper box to bypass this pedal when you don't want the effect in your chain.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Happyorange27

OK I never owned one but I might soon.  What if i just leave it on all the time.  Will it be noisy?
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Happyorange27 on August 05, 2013, 04:13:43 PM
OK I never owned one but I might soon.  What if i just leave it on all the time.  Will it be noisy?

That's practically what Trey has been doing lately and I hear no noise, BUT that's Trey and his incredible equipment and incredible sound guy (Paul). He really loves that Whammy, it's always on lately!

I do think you will have some noise. With mine I can tell it's on just by the way the buffer in it acts. It really stands out and has a way about it. I really love it too. Just don't use it on every song. If it broke I would find a replacement asap.

Happyorange27

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on August 05, 2013, 05:25:13 PM
Quote from: Happyorange27 on August 05, 2013, 04:13:43 PM

That's practically what Trey has been doing lately and I hear no noise, BUT that's Trey and his incredible equipment and incredible sound guy (Paul). He really loves that Whammy, it's always on lately!

I do think you will have some noise. With mine I can tell it's on just by the way the buffer in it acts. It really stands out and has a way about it. I really love it too. Just don't use it on every song. If it broke I would find a replacement asap.

Interesting.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

I had a II for awhile but sold it and bought a V, which was awesome. I may get another down the line.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

TheSeeker

Quote from: fulltone1989 on August 05, 2013, 10:18:06 PM
I had a II for awhile but sold it and bought a V, which was awesome. I may get another down the line.

When mine is on it's not super noisy, but you can definitely tell that it's on.  You can tweak the little volume knob on the back, which helps with the noise also.  Make sure your input and output jacks are nice and clean too.  Mine was noisy as a mofo when I first got it, but after a couple shots of deoxit and BAM!! No noise....well a lot less noise anyway.  I might actually replace both the jacks and see what that does.

Hey Fulltone, how is that V?  I thought about getting one myself.  I used to have a IV, and sucked a donkeys balls big time!!  I've heard samples of the V on youtube, and it sounded pretty sweet and smooth.  I especially like that chord function.  I was also gonna try out one of those Molten midi things.  Seems like you can get some pretty cool sounds with that little gadget.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

sour d

The way to calibrate a whammy2 is when you first power it up, rock the treadle all the way forward and all the way back a few times. Getting the input level knob set right will help with the noise.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

Quote from: TheSeeker on August 06, 2013, 01:02:48 AM
Quote from: fulltone1989 on August 05, 2013, 10:18:06 PM

When mine is on it's not super noisy, but you can definitely tell that it's on.  You can tweak the little volume knob on the back, which helps with the noise also.  Make sure your input and output jacks are nice and clean too.  Mine was noisy as a mofo when I first got it, but after a couple shots of deoxit and BAM!! No noise....well a lot less noise anyway.  I might actually replace both the jacks and see what that does.

Hey Fulltone, how is that V?  I thought about getting one myself.  I used to have a IV, and sucked a donkeys balls big time!!  I've heard samples of the V on youtube, and it sounded pretty sweet and smooth.  I especially like that chord function.  I was also gonna try out one of those Molten midi things.  Seems like you can get some pretty cool sounds with that little gadget.

The V was very sweet, did the whale call thing easy. The only thing I really missed was not being able to select presets with my feet. If I get it again it will definitely have a MIDI selector, I was thinking about the MIDI mouse from Tech 21. The V didn't get super though which was a bit of a bummer and part of the magic of the II. Don't get me wrong though the Classic mode did get glitchy. just not significantly. Solid construction though.

When I was getting it repaired, I asked about the metal jacks and the repair place said it was impossible because there was nothing to ground the jack to because the whole pedal was basically plastic. Mine also had a supposed True bypass mod but I don't know how he did it.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.