Main Menu

Whammy II Settings

Started by Stiles12, July 09, 2007, 10:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

Quote from: TheSeeker on August 06, 2013, 01:02:48 AM
Quote from: fulltone1989 on August 05, 2013, 10:18:06 PM
I had a II for awhile but sold it and bought a V, which was awesome. I may get another down the line.

When mine is on it's not super noisy, but you can definitely tell that it's on.  You can tweak the little volume knob on the back, which helps with the noise also.  Make sure your input and output jacks are nice and clean too.  Mine was noisy as a mofo when I first got it, but after a couple shots of deoxit and BAM!! No noise....well a lot less noise anyway.  I might actually replace both the jacks and see what that does.

Hey Fulltone, how is that V?  I thought about getting one myself.  I used to have a IV, and sucked a donkeys balls big time!!  I've heard samples of the V on youtube, and it sounded pretty sweet and smooth.  I especially like that chord function.  I was also gonna try out one of those Molten midi things.  Seems like you can get some pretty cool sounds with that little gadget.

I just got a V, and it's excellent.  The harmonizer is a lotta fun, the whammy's tracking is great, and the polyphonic mode works a lot better than I thought it would.  The only complaint I have is the detune/chorus sounds kinda bad in 'deep' mode.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Happyorange27

Thanks everyone.  I did play a V and thought it was a fine pedal.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

In the words of Momma Cosby, "Issa sweet ol thaaaaaaang."
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

GonePhishing46

I figured out how to True Bypass the pedal, if anyone wants to true bypass it themselves. Not too bad.
Custom Hollowbody -> TS-10 -> TS-9 modded -> Ross Compressor -> Whammy II (True Bypass) -> Tuner -> Black Cat Vibe -> Alesis Quadraverb -> Groove Tubes Soul-O-75 -> Groove Tubes 4x10 Cabinet || Hammond Leslie

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

jenkins

The whammy 2 is the pedal if you're going for trey tone. If there's any one pedal that's trey in a box imo its the whammy 2, at least his effects in one box.

I wouldn't so much describe it as noisy as much as i consider it a tone sucker.
You have to have it on its own bypass loop to really use it and sound good, it really does suck tone when its not on.

I use a loopmaster 6 loop true-bypass looper so its completely out of my signal unless im using it, which is a lot.

Something i don't read much about is the detune setting, i think trey uses this a lot more than people think. Just turned on it gives a watery, almost chorus, almost leslie like tone. Very effective, especially when using tube screamer and a compressor thru it.

Great pedal, imo you gotta get the 2, without the ability to toggle between modes with my foot it would not be nearly as versatile. I don't understand why they went back to the other design instead of improving the 2 with its foot toggles. Dont make no sense yo

Buffered

Quote from: jenkins on February 04, 2014, 01:25:30 AM
The whammy 2 is the pedal if you're going for trey tone. If there's any one pedal that's trey in a box imo its the whammy 2, at least his effects in one box.

You have to have it on its own bypass loop to really use it and sound good, it really does suck tone when its not on.

I use a loopmaster 6 loop true-bypass looper so its completely out of my signal unless im using it, which is a lot.

Something i don't read much about is the detune setting, i think trey uses this a lot more than people think. Just turned on it gives a watery, almost chorus, almost leslie like tone. Very effective, especially when using tube screamer and a compressor thru it.

Great pedal, imo you gotta get the 2, without the ability to toggle between modes with my foot it would not be nearly as versatile. I don't understand why they went back to the other design instead of improving the 2 with its foot toggles. Dont make no sense yo

I have to agree about the II and the foot switch capabilities, seems like a really cool feature than nobody else was doing at the time. If I ever incorporate the V back into my rig Im gonna get a midimouse or disaster control midi switcher to control the settings.

Digitech just reissued the bass whammy, maybe we'll see a II reissue in the future?

I had a II with a TB switch but I was always afraid of using it live because of the dinky plastic jacks, I just can't trust them. I tried installing metal jacks but there is no place to ground them as the chassis is plastic also. Sweet pedal. I liked the 5 just as much as the II though. That things gonna be a classic too in 10 years.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Buffered on February 04, 2014, 08:54:44 AM

I have to agree about the II and the foot switch capabilities, seems like a really cool feature than nobody else was doing at the time. If I ever incorporate the V back into my rig Im gonna get a midimouse or disaster control midi switcher to control the settings.

Digitech just reissued the bass whammy, maybe we'll see a II reissue in the future?

I had a II with a TB switch but I was always afraid of using it live because of the dinky plastic jacks, I just can't trust them. I tried installing metal jacks but there is no place to ground them as the chassis is plastic also. Sweet pedal. I liked the 5 just as much as the II though. That things gonna be a classic too in 10 years.

Honestly, I prefer the V with a MIDI switcher in the MIDI in.  It's just so much better (polyphonic mode!).
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

jenkins

So on the V with the midi footswitch you can't I'll go between settings like you can on the two?
if that's the case i would be seriously considering going out and buying one

Buffered

Quote from: jenkins on February 07, 2014, 02:36:30 AM
So on the V with the midi footswitch you can't I'll go between settings like you can on the two?
if that's the case i would be seriously considering going out and buying one

What the midi does is program a response. If you had a 8 MIDI footswitch controller you could assign one buttom to each Whammy function but with it may be difficult to set it identical to the II as the II can set two functions to bounce between really fast. Sorry about the runon sentence.
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

With the exception of The Whale, what are some examples of Trey using the Whammy. I've never tried one so I'm not sure all it can do. I know it has a pitch shifter/harmonizer feature and a detune/whammy effect, obviously. But it seems the former is rare in Trey's playing. And the latter, I can think of some big "bends," for lack of a better word, but it seems this could be accomplished just as easily with slides up the neck. Does Trey use the whammy for that effect? Also, some of his slow build ups up the neck sound as though they may be accomplished using the Whammy. Am I right? Is this the extent of his use of this pedal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Buffered

Quote from: Jkendrick on February 07, 2014, 12:31:49 PM

With the exception of The Whale, what are some examples of Trey using the Whammy. I've never tried one so I'm not sure all it can do. I know it has a pitch shifter/harmonizer feature and a detune/whammy effect, obviously. But it seems the former is rare in Trey's playing. And the latter, I can think of some big "bends," for lack of a better word, but it seems this could be accomplished just as easily with slides up the neck. Does Trey use the whammy for that effect? Also, some of his slow build ups up the neck sound as though they may be accomplished using the Whammy. Am I right? Is this the extent of his use of this pedal?

In particular 1998 and 2003 shows I hear the octave down setting or the octave down + dry tone often used. I ran an envelope filter after the octave down and it was mighty funky but it sounded like my speaker at the time was having trouble dealing with the low frequencies the Whammy produced. Sometimes he incorporated the RMC3 and TS9 for that sludgey "drugged out" sound. Check out the Live in Brooklyn Free Jam for an example. Couldn't think of a better way to describe it. He also uses the octave +1 or +2 for the funk siren, I actually did a youtube video on how to do it with just a delay and Whammy- check it out! Simple or Reba jams that start really soft would also use that same octave up setting. I think those are the extent of his uses, at least to my ears.

FWIW I do the whale call easily enough by just sliding my fretting hand down a whole step and back up rapidly or just up a whole step, although it's not an approximation bc you can hear the individual frets a little. That's 90% of why I used the Whammy.

In the Clifford Ball 2001, at the end or beginning I forget but it sounds like a space ship taking off and I think that's Trey saving a note into the Rang and then using the Whammy to seamlessly change the pitch but in order to do that he'd need an effects router so go Rang > Whammy whereas the Whammy is usually first in his chain. For all I know it could be page. In the summer of 09 I saw the lightsaber thing at the end of First Tubes and to get the "clash" sound of a saber I think it was an interval change (Perfect 5th sounds nice) causing it. His tone was also heavily distorted so it could just be the volume pedal creating that "tone" but he was definitely stepping on something(s). I guess not knowing exactly how is part of the magic! The scariest part for me is seeing him swing a Languedoc around playing swords with his microphone stand though.

Jkendrick

So an example of the build up thing Trey does often can be heard at about 11:15 on the A Live One Stash. Is that Whammy in there or is that all fingers. I hear a tiny bit of wah at one point I think.

Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Jkendrick

Are the slide ups during the Bundle of Joy section of the 6/11/94 Red Rocks Fluffhead Whammy or "organic" slides?