TC Flashback Delay - Looks outrageous!!

Started by ColForbin, March 02, 2011, 03:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColForbin

Has anyone checked out this review for the TC Flashback Delay, this thing seems quite awesome to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvCC1TfNfb4

And here is the manufacturers page:  [url]http://www.tcelectronic.com/flashback.asp[/url

After mulling it over for all of a few hours, I ordered one and will post my thoughts after I receive it.  But man, the features sound pretty good:

* TonePrint- instant access to custom pedal-tweaks made by your idols!
    * 11 delay types including looper - expansive delay options from subtle repeat to total time-warp
    * Audio Tapping - set delay times by simply strumming your guitar!
    * 6 seconds delay - all the delay time your playing could ever need ... and then some.
    * Stereo in & out - for added flexibility to your set-up
    * True Bypass - zero loss of tone
    * Analog-Dry-Through - maximum tonal integrity and clarity
    * Delay Time, Feedback and Repeat controls - for total control of your delay sounds
    * Spillover on/off - super-smooth and natural transitions between sounds
    * Easy battery access - makes changing batteries fun! (well, almost)
    * Small footprint - save precious pedalboard space
    * High quality components - only the best will do when it comes to tone
    * Road-ready design - ready to follow you wherever your playing takes you

Plus they are marketing it for like $169.00USD, sounds pretty swell.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Walker done done

Gotta say, that does look pretty bad ass.  I wish you hadn't posted this because now I want one!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Brian27

I like the feature of audio tapping where you strum the delay tempo but the Digitech Time Bender does that. I think im going to get the Strynom Timeline for Christmas. That thing looks badass

Happyorange27

This pedal looks and sound pretty sweet and at a good price.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Happyorange27

Ok Colforbin, we need that report you promised :P
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

ColForbin

Right, got it.

This thing is awesome.  Really cool sounding delays, all of which I like, but to be honest I rarely use any setting but the tape delay, it's super rich.  I'm getting used to the audio tapping, but it definitely takes some getting used to.  I have my delay in the end of my chain, so I elected to use it in buffered mode, sounds terrific.  It's a super versatile delay pedal with a small footprint, and I've only found one drawback.  My biggest beef is with the looper, when you have the looper selected, the effect level knob controls the volume of your signal, even when the pedal is disengaged.  Here is the response to that issue from TC.

QuoteYes - that is correct. Here is a somewhat complicated reason why... it has to do with the analog-dry-through feature and true bypass:

Basically Flashback is never true bypass when you select looper: The reason why, is that we want it to be "armed" and ready to record as soon as you select the looper. If it was true bypass you'd have to first turn the looper on to active the effect and THEN turn the recorder on, to actually start recording. Obviously we couldn't be using one press on the footswitch to do both these actions, so we'd have to come up with some way of controlling "looper on" AND "record/stop" using to different footswitch "commands" (for example "press footswitch once to activate looper" and "press and hold to record"), which I hope you'll agree would be very annoying and not very intuitive.

So the bottom line is that no matter how you set the dip switch on the back of the pedal, Flashback will always be in buffer mode when you select the looper. If you have Flashback in TB mode, it'll of course automatically jump back to TB when you select one of the delay types... you should actually be able to hear the relay clicking when you switch between the looper and delays.

The reason why the looper controls the volume of the entire signal in loop mode is because of the analog-dry-through feature. The FX Level pot is an analog pot that mixes the wet signal with the dry AFTER the wet signal has been converted back to analog. In other words, we can't do any clever digital trickery to the wet signal (i.e.turn it all the way up when in loop mode), because the pot is analog. Because the looper is 100% wet and no dry as explained above, this means that the FX level pot controls the overall output of the entire signal.

Hope this explains why we designed the pedal the way we did.

Cheers,
Tore

So at the end of the day, great delay pedal and I'm super happy with it.  The looper is fine if you are just using it for practice, but if you are looking to loop stuff live, you need another looper.  I haven't got into any of the toneprints, I imagine I might check them out some day.

Cheers.
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

Happyorange27

That was a great report! ;D  Thanks.  I was really getting ready to maybe purchase one and this info is golden.  Not sure yet if i want to pull the trigger.

fulltone1989

I picked one up over at TGP, will report once I've had time to play with it!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

AWWW YEAH, just purchased a Flashback.  On it's way.  Forbin you were much of my convincing along with about 7 other YouTube demos.

ColForbin

Happy, like I told my wife in on our wedding day, I believe you've made the right choice here.

I think you'll really dig it.  Cheers.
Current rig: 

Happyorange27

Finally it arrived.  It's amazing!  The clarity is impeccable. I ran in stereo mode with my BJ and Champ. I love the Mod mode. Grandioso chorus in there and the delays just swirl around your head. OMG I have missed time based effects so much!  Anyway every mode is cool. The looper is great too. Now I just need another one so I can loop and delay:)
Yeehaw!

manicstarseed

Quote from: Happyorange27 on November 07, 2011, 06:53:03 PM
...... Now I just need another one so I can loop and delay:)
Yeehaw!

Didn't you have a Nova Repeater?
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Happyorange27

manicstarseed

Cool. When I first landed here, it was a little overwhelming reading everyone's signatures. Who had what gets blurred.

This looks real tempting to add a Flashback to my rig. I love my repeater, but like you said about the looper.. its nice to have 2 delays. Considering my gap in chorus and wah, I think I need to focus on other things than delay. TC does a real nice job in the sound processing dept. I think I want their corona chorus  or their chorus/flanger.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

ColForbin

Quote from: Happyorange27 on November 07, 2011, 06:53:03 PM
Finally it arrived.  It's amazing!  The clarity is impeccable. I ran in stereo mode with my BJ and Champ. I love the Mod mode. Grandioso chorus in there and the delays just swirl around your head. OMG I have missed time based effects so much!  Anyway every mode is cool. The looper is great too. Now I just need another one so I can loop and delay:)
Yeehaw!

Glad you like it dude, I'm still a huge fan of mine as well.
Current rig: