Main Menu

my 2011 rig

Started by Poster, March 13, 2011, 11:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

So here's what I'm wondering... Do Poster and Happy Orange play very similar AO guitars?  Or do they share?  Spill it guys!  I want the full story, no detail spared.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: IamWILSON on July 15, 2011, 04:29:07 AM
So here's what I'm wondering... Do Poster and Happy Orange play very similar AO guitars?  Or do they share?  Spill it guys!  I want the full story, no detail spared.

They're the same person! Ying and Yang so to say.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on July 15, 2011, 10:50:22 AM
Quote from: IamWILSON on July 15, 2011, 04:29:07 AM

They're the same person! Ying and Yang so to say.

Hey somebody finally noticed that this AO Guitar has a new guardian :D I was wondering when someone was going to say something.

The guy formerly known as Poster (go figure out his new handle) and I, Happyorange, are completely 2 different humans, I can assure you.  So which one is the Ying and the Yang? :P

But seriously, I do now have in my possession the most holy relic know as the AO Guitar.  In short I'm super great full for the opportunity to have this transpire and I'm on cloud nine.   In time videos and audio will be posted for your listening and viewing pleasure.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 15, 2011, 01:09:17 PM
Yeah I gave Eric my AO Guitar. I think he will take great care of my baby Coco. It will make a noble air-loom for his young-ins.  

Unrelated but related; I started up a guitar company, and with all the bonus guitars floating around, I could not justify keeping her around. I was also advised, that it would not make much sense for me to be

playing it out anymore because of my company. Anyway, Ive been doing studio work all year. So with a string of commitments coming up starting this weekend at Namm, this is when Iam getting all

my gear together, and the timing was about right. Doing stuff with Drake, Lenny Kravitz in Miami, Drakes dad here in Memphis, MLGW 's EP is about to drop, working on booking from 3 dates starting in

Charleston-> up to Burlington for ski season, finishing mastering this shit we did a few months ago, blah blah music music, smoke some weed.

I guess ski season starts early up here? Are you talking about this Drake?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_(entertainer)
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

IamWILSON

Wow, that's very cool!  If I can I ask happy and poster a couple questions about AO guitars, I would love to hear each of your opinions on them:

1) How do you like his guitar necks? 

2) Zero fret : Yay or Nay - I ask because I have ordered a guitar from him, although he's still looking for a nice piece of Coco wood for me.  And I'm a little torn on whether to have him use it or not.  I sometimes really like the open string sound and how it reacts with fretted notes at the same time and wonder if the zero fret will get in the way of some things I do. 

3) Buzz Feiten tuning system - Do you have to tune the guitar that certain way the website says, or will any method of tuning really work?

4) What pickups do ya got in that baby?  And how do you like them?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

I hope Poster chimes in and gives his feedback because he specified the details for good reason and can shed light on why. I've barely had the guitar so I'm just acclimating myself with it.
The neck is great. It's wider than my Wolfgang so it's a change but a change I'm happy with. Very smooth and consistent the entire length. The coating on the back is just the right friction.
The zero fret is fine, I don't even notice it. I think it keeps open notes similar in behavior as the rest of the fretted notes.
I haven't tuned using the official method, just on the fly. I'll try the method eventually but on the fly seems just fine.
The pickups are Wolftone Dr. Vintage. They are very nice indeed.

Again I'm just getting my feet wet. It's like going from a Cessna to an F14 fighter jet. You know it's amazing but you have to figure out what all the buttons do and how to approach maneuvers previously not possible. Heck I spent a while just figuring out the climate, temperature, humidity control system in the guitar case today!  And sometimes I just look at the guitar because it's a work of art and so many details in it.

So I'll have better answers after I put some miles on this piece.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

sour d

Yeah I gave Eric my AO Guitar.
, smoke some weed.
Unrelated but related; I started up a guitar company, and with all the bonus guitars floating around, , smoke some weed.

Please elaborate
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

sour d

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 17, 2011, 12:39:21 AM
whatcha want to know D  :) which Phiga is yours?
First I'm curious why you gave away such an amazing guitar and second what's up with your guitar company? My phiga is one of Phil's bolt guitars with a bubinga top.
http://www.philgawen.com/phigaguitars.htm    Page 2 of the currently available.

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

Quote from: sour d on July 17, 2011, 05:05:30 PM
Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 17, 2011, 12:39:21 AM
whatcha want to know D  :) which Phiga is yours?
First I'm curious why you gave away such an amazing guitar and second what's up with your guitar company? My phiga is one of Phil's bolt guitars with a bubinga top.
http://www.philgawen.com/phigaguitars.htm    Page 2 of the currently available.

Second, and that guitar sour is pretty awesome! Poster, you said you're recording with Drake? The rapper?

picture_of_nectar

GAVE the Coco AO away? Really?

Either way, congrats Happy_O, cool guitar!
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

Sweet guitar ^.

Thanks PON ;D

picture_of_nectar

That's exciting Calhoone, bust of luck in your venture!
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

sour d

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 17, 2011, 10:12:51 PM
And yes D, there is a secret, stink/light proof Egyptian glass nuggle jar in there just for you. 
Just for me? That's gotta be one big ass jar! NICE!  8)

Walker done done

Hey ^^

Who's walnut guitar is that I saw on your Facebook page?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

raisingfreen

I have a theory that "Ole' Whiskey Calhoone" is actually not who we think he is.
My guess is he's either Garth Brooks or Chris Gaines. It makes sense as he hasn't covered the jamband stuff yet.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux