Recommend a Solo to Learn--One wth Signature Trey Licks

Started by butterfly, March 18, 2011, 12:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butterfly

Looking for suggestions on a solo, live of course, to dig into and learn note for note.  It can't be too long like a ten minute jam -- or maybe it could be a segment of a longer jam.

What are some examples of solos that when you hear it you say "that's classic Trey right there". 

Help me out!

Thx

Bfly
Guys I like:  Scotty Moore, Luther Perkins, Chuck Berry, Pete Townshend, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page, Jerry Garcia, Johnny Ramone, John Frusciante, Dave Navarro, Mike McCready, Jack White and Trey.

IamWILSON

The last one I transcribed was the Theme From the Bottom solo from the Dayton '97 show.  Lot's of great classic Trey riffing in there!  The one I've been listening to lately and really wanna get down, but don't have the time is his solo on Julius from the '97 Europe show (Lucerne maybe?) that they released a little while back.  That one's like 5 minutes though!  Even if something seems like its too long, just set a goal to get about a minute of it down.  After you have that mastered, work on the next minute.  Or even just the phrases that make your ears perk up!  I forget which show, but you can even pull some good quick licks from the short solo that he will take in the middle of Sneakin' Sally.  I think the one I did was also from '97 (don't remember what show), but maybe you see the trend that I really dig the early cow funk guitar.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

patrickstefanski

I think Plasma is a good call.  He always does crazy stuff with that. Even the one from "Plasma" is good.
It's pretty short, mainly pentatonic, could be fun.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

butterfly

Thanks guys--

As it happens , I have been on a Fall 97 binge myself recently.  I've come to think that this era is my favorite Phish (the Island Tour is sweet too). 

In terms of Fall 97 shows--of course there is 11/22/97 Hampton (Mike's Song to open, Weekapaugh and Hood in the first set, rockin Black Eyed Katy in second) but also check the next night 11/23/97 in Winston Salem.  Another Black Eyed katy (this time in the first set) DTW>Low Rider>DTW in the second.

Guys I like:  Scotty Moore, Luther Perkins, Chuck Berry, Pete Townshend, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page, Jerry Garcia, Johnny Ramone, John Frusciante, Dave Navarro, Mike McCready, Jack White and Trey.

MomaDan

Do you by any chance still have any of your transcriptions? I am always interested in looking at that sort of stuff. Jdarks does this to perfection for Grateful Dead songs.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

fulltone1989

I learned a lot of licks from the IT festival's Chalkdust. It turns into a long jam but it's got a bunch of really good close-ups of Trey's left and right hands. Alternatively, Funky Bitch is a great tune to transcribe. There's a livephish from the late 80's, the Townsend family park one that has the tune on it I think.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.