graphite picks

Started by IamWILSON, April 02, 2011, 08:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

I've been using Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0 picks for a long time, when I'm playing rock/jam music anyway.  The other day I just got my hands on an Adamas Graphite 2.0 (the one Trey uses) and was really surprised about how different it actually sounded from my pick.  Of course I can pay $50 for a dozen of them on Ebay, but that's pretty ridiculous!  However, there are these on EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TELEFUNKEN-Graphite-Guitar-Pick-2mm-Bag-6-Picks-/160432149682?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item255a8054b2#ht_1288wt_1129

Has anyone used them?  The page says they are "graphite enriched delrin."  Is that the same as the Adamas picks?  Anyone know or have any experience with these picks?  Basically, I can spend $18 for 6 of them, or about $50 for a dozen of the real deal.  Wondering if the telfunkens will give me the same sound as the Adamas picks.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

YouEnjoyMyReba

These are the picks I use.  I use to use the gator grip as well, and while I can definetly tell a difference sound wise, it is not that drastic of a difference and most other people cant even tell, even other guitar players that I play with.
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Happyorange27

I have the Adamas pick and I love it. Cactuskeeb recognized it just from my YouTube sound so it must be noticeable to tuned ears. 
I've been looking at Telefukens too. They have to be pretty damn close. Just buy them; they are inexpensive.  ;)
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

Quote from: Happyorange27 on April 03, 2011, 11:27:44 AM
I have the Adamas pick and I love it. Cactuskeeb recognized it just from my YouTube sound so it must be noticeable to tuned ears. 
I've been looking at Telefukens too. They have to be pretty damn close. Just buy them; they are inexpensive.  ;)
Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy a pack of Adamas and Telefunkens and take the Pepsi challenge.

"Am I a ni**er? Are we in Inglewood? No... You're in my home. White people who know the difference between good shit and bad shit, this is the house they come to. Now, my shit, I'll take the Pepsi challenge with that Amsterdam shit, any day of the fuckin' week."
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

cactuskeeb

I have both the Adamas and the Telefunken.  There is no noticable difference between the two.

Stiles12

disagree... sound wise there is a silght difference... not in a bad way just a slight difference,

The true difference lies in the thickness and size of the picks. they are tough to go from one to the other becuase they feel differently in your hands.. I use both and have almost completely given up on telefunken (not becuase of sound) becuase its difficult to go from one to the other, and i started with addamas.

its personal preferance as to what you are comfortable with, but i wouldnt say there is no difference between the two.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Happyorange27

Quote from: Stiles12 on April 04, 2011, 11:26:30 AM
disagree... sound wise there is a silght difference... not in a bad way just a slight difference,

The true difference lies in the thickness and size of the picks. they are tough to go from one to the other becuase they feel differently in your hands.. I use both and have almost completely given up on telefunken (not becuase of sound) becuase its difficult to go from one to the other, and i started with addamas.

its personal preferance as to what you are comfortable with, but i wouldnt say there is no difference between the two.

Are you using the Telefunkens that look the same shape as the Adamas?  Because there are several different profiles and maybe you are using one that is not the same??  Just checking.  If you have the one that looks just like the Adamas, I can't imagine that it would be that much of a pain to go back and forth.

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

I like the Adamas. Been rotating the same 3 for a while now and have a spare pack.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone