My new (used) Hollowbody

Started by picture_of_nectar, April 20, 2011, 04:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

Just scored this baby on the used market. Should arrive tomorrow!
http://www.thornguitars.com/hb-htm/hb005.htm

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

phishlips

G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

IamWILSON

Damn! That is a beauty PoN... I hope you're planning on letting us get a listen of that guitar in action?  If you don't mind me asking, can you PM me what you paid for it, maybe even just a ballpark figure?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

picture_of_nectar

Thanks.
Yeah the guys in our band and I throw our stuff up on the web for anybody to hear. Ill let you know when it's the Thorn. We're hacks, but whatever...

It's funny because I fell in love with this guitar almost a year ago going through Rons hollowbody gallery. He only has 5 up in there. So anyway I started inquiring with Ron about building me a Koa Artisan hollow and he politely declined. In the Thorn forums he said he's done withbuilding hollowbodies for a while. I didn't ask why but I presume it's because he is focused on the SoCal series he's producing now. (If you haven't seen the SoCal gallery on his site, do yourself a favor and check them out. Each guitar is like a piece of artwork.)

So basically I didn't think a koa hollow Thorn  was in the cards, then out of the blue her owner had to part with it, and another Thorn adict beat me to it by an hour. But as it turns out he decided he couldn't afford to keep her.(which may very well be the case for me too).

Point is I feel pretty fortunate and lucky to find her and that the timing was right financially. Speant more then I should have nor care to admit. But if it's at least as good as my other three Thorns, and I far expect it to exceed most anything I've ever played, it will be worth it.

Poster

so its a glued set neck? what kinda pickups are in there?

picture_of_nectar

It's a set neck, not sure about glue, but I assume so.

The pickups are PRS Archtops and it has the piezo bridge. Might swap pickups for Lollar imperials.

picture_of_nectar

Arrived today! Patiently waiting to have the house to myself in the morning and plug her in.

Great feel and acoustic tone.

Only fault I can find is that it's heavy as a tank, probably due to the rosewood body. Feels like a chunky Les Paul. Gotta be around 9lbs.

picture_of_nectar

Still getting use to the HB05. She's a beast and a tank so if I'm not careful it hurts to play like a two hour set with it. The weight might be a deal breaker if I have to move something. Crossing fingers...

The tones are deep and rich, like a heavy red wine with many flavors lingering in your ear. I have gotten some nice feedback out of it but I think tge PuPs are holding her back. I'm also thinking about switching to 11s just to get that thick chunky rosewood body to really resonate.  

The neck is incredible. Chunky and smooth as silk. Fretwork and inlay is a work of art.

It has a PRS electronics system including Achtop pups and some speacial proprietary piezo system. Ron mentioned it was something you couldn't find aftermarket. Anyway I think I might have the Archtops removed and swap with some Thorn Pasedenas.

On another note, I happened to be in the position to pick up this David Myka hollowbody. Dragonfly#92
http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/092/default.htm

patrickstefanski

From what I hear, Thorn makes some top notch guitars...you are a lucky man!
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

fulltone1989

If you ever run out of room for your hollow-bodies I will happily babysit one for you! Beautiful instruments!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.