Rock & Roll

Started by rymann76, May 10, 2011, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rymann76

Hey, I was wondering if any of you knew the the chords to Phish's version of Rock & Roll by Lou Reed. Been listening to the IT version of the song. Thanks

IamWILSON

Off of the top of my head I'm pretty sure its |C   |C   |Gm  |Gm  |F    |F   |C   |C  *| The little thing he does that is too hard to explain right now, but what I play (that sounds like what Trey does) is use a Csus chord but in 1st inv (3rd "E" in the bass").  When the lyrics come in you basically play a measure of each of the above chords.  And I think the turnround at the end of the verses is |D  |F  |G  |F  |C  |F  |C  |F  |.... or something like that.  Besides some riffing I don't think there's really much else to it. 

Anyone willing to expand further, or better, on my input?

Goodluck!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

IamWILSON

just decided to pull out my gtr and check that....so its C - C - Gm -Gm - F - FGF - C - C at the beginning. At least per the 09 show I checked it too. I could swear Trey used to do some Fsus thing in the 90s on F, but maybe my ear is just better now.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

rymann76

Thanks man I appreciate it!

Walker done done

I posted this a while back.  We play this song frequently in our band.  Not sure how much different the Bb6 is from a Gm, but here's how to play it:

Bb6:
x
x
(6)

I play a shortened version without the Bb root on the low E though.

Rock n' Roll
The Velvet Underground

C                       Bb6       
Jenny said when she was just five years old you know there's
F             F G F   C
nothing goin' down at all.
C                  Bb6                 F       F G F        C
She turned on that radio and there was nothin' happening at all.
C                  Bb6                     F              F G F    C
She turned on that L.A. station couldn't believe what she heard at all
C                           Bb6
She started dancin' to that fine fine music
    F                 F G F    C
Her life was saved by rock and roll.

D                     F
chorus:  Despite all the complications they could just
         G                           F
         Dance to that rock and roll station
                      C            Bb6
         And it was alright(it's alright)
                  C            Bb6
         It was alright(it's alright)
                  C            Bb6
         It was alright(it's alright)
                  C
         It was alright.

riff 1:
E ---------------------------------------------------
B ---------------------------------------------------
G ----------------7-^9—-7-7----7-9-10~--^12-10-9-----
D ---10-10~--9^10--------------------------------8---
A ---------------------------------------------------
E ---------------------------------------------------

Jenny said when she was five years old you know her
Parents will be the death of us all.
Two TV sets and two Cadillac cars well they don't
Mean nothin' at all, not at all.

She turned on that L.A. station couldn't believe what she heard at all.
She started dancin' to that fine fine music, her life was
Saved by rock and roll.

chorus

solo over verse chords

1st verse

chorus-end on last "alright"

Riff 2 (Trey's riff at the end which leads into the solo):

E ----------------------8--10^12-12p10^8--------------------
B -----------------8-10------------------10-8---8-----------
G ---------------9----------------------------9---9--7h9~---
D ---------8-10---------------------------------------------
A ------10--------------------------------------------------
E ---^8-----------------------------------------------------
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

IamWILSON

Walker, that is the exact voicing I play as well! No root note, jut the triad on D, G, and B strings like you had written.  Funny because I know my band will start playing this song soon, but I've never thought about the fact that Mike is playing a Bb while Trey is playing what I view as a Gm triad with the 3rd in the bass, hence my saying its Gm.  But yes, the fact that Mike is playing Bb will make it a Bb6 chord.