Anyone here use Hard Truckers cabs?

Started by IamWILSON, May 22, 2011, 09:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

If so, which one(s) and can you give me a review.  I'm thinking about taking the plunge as I am always looking for louder and cleaner tone with my low wattage amp.  Will upgrading from a 1x12 to a 2x12 do any of this for me?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

ColForbin

Well, I think you'll notice a difference between 1x12 to 2x12, I mean you'll be pushing more air, and in my humble opinion, once those tone tubby's are broken in, they are nothing short of delightful.  I own the JG-1 cab and I think it sounds brilliant.  It really tends to "open up" (if that makes any sense to anyone else) my tone, I love it.  I bought mine a few years ago and I can say this, I would never, ever think about selling it.  I would highly recommend this purchase.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

IamWILSON

Definitely gonna have to get me one of them.  Unfortunately, my fund are too tied up in tour plans right now.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Poster

I had some custom 2x12 vert cabs made, like the HT fatty; ended up dumping them in a heartbeat for Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12 cabs. They blow the shit out of them for what I do. Took a big loss in the swap, but my ears do not lie. They have as much bass as a 4x12, weigh a million pounds, and are basically the loudest clean speaker/tunes cabs Ive ever heard. Check um out! And I love Glenn and the gang down in GA, so it aint personal. Run tell that homeboy.

IamWILSON

Quote from: posternutbag on May 26, 2011, 09:07:48 PM
I had some custom 2x12 vert cabs made, like the HT fatty; ended up dumping them in a heartbeat for Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12 cabs. They blow the shit out of them for what I do. Took a big loss in the swap, but my ears do not lie. They have as much bass as a 4x12, weigh a million pounds, and are basically the loudest clean speaker/tunes cabs Ive ever heard. Check um out! And I love Glenn and the gang down in GA, so it aint personal. Run tell that homeboy.
So I was in the area of the local gc today and figured I'd go down there and see if they have one of those cabs and plug it into the same Egnater head I have.  Well they didn't have that but they had a Mesa 2x12 Road King cab marked down to $300.  It had a custom Bone croc covering on it (not so thrilled about it but whatever for the price), and gold grille which actually matched my amp head color pretty well.  Tested it out and took it home.  Both speakers are split in their separate compartments and there's a Celestion 90 in the open back side and its got a vintage 30 in the closed back side.  And it is stereo too!  I'm not running it that way, but that might get some use in the future.  Anyway, after plugging it into my setup, it definitely gives me much more clean headroom and is just louder in general that I actually was turning down my heavier gain ts-9 (drive and volume) and my amps master volume and gain and still getting great tone.  Really cool to notice that even my tone with both ts-9s on has even cleaned up very nicely and can still become saturated with overtones and create a really nice glassy sustain.  Now I gotta do a little more practice to control the beast!

Poster

^ as should be your ultimate goal; predictable breakup, at meticulous pre-conceived levels. Iam using a carr 6v slant head with the 250 watt EV 12L and it will not breakup unless I want it to. And when it does, sweet fancy moses, its like getting tickled by a beautiful naked woman.

IamWILSON

Just checked out the Carr 6v....holy mother of sweet mercy TONE!!!  Listened to some clips off of their website and then found a good clip on youtube so I could see the guitars and no effects pedals being used.  3 words come to mind.  De - Lish - ous!

Poster

Quote from: IamWILSON on May 29, 2011, 04:33:23 PM
Just checked out the Carr 6v....holy mother of sweet mercy TONE!!!  Listened to some clips off of their website and then found a good clip on youtube so I could see the guitars and no effects pedals being used.  3 words come to mind.  De - Lish - ous!

Its really cool. Ive got two of them, running in stereo, into 2 1x12 Mesa Boogie EV Thiele Cabs. The only issues Ive had has been some rattle, artifacts when the heads are getting slammed with bass at stage volume. My tech at tube depot, thinks he can fix it, with some tinkering! But hey that just goes to show, gazillion dollar amps, still will have practical issues too. Almost none of the stuff you can buy has been made for heavy gigging.