overdrive, distortion, fuzz pedals

Started by IamWILSON, July 12, 2011, 10:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

So I know there are so many different overdrive pedals to get and mods to do.  In your opinion, what's the goto one to dial in your own unique sound.  I know the ts9 is overused by many (I'm guilty and own a bunch of them but really do love the tone), I'm considering trying out an OCD or the King of Tone pedal, (figure I'll get on the waiting list, but is it worth it in the end)?  I'm even intrigued by the PlimSoul.  How do you guys like them and why?  What other boutique and/or modded pedals are you guys using?  I'm just thinking about trying to create an edgier more modern sound for my progressive/eclectic jam/art/improv band that is getting back together.

Here's a b- quality soundsample from a couple years ago so you can get an idea of what the music is like. 

http://soundcloud.com/groovington/e-meter
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

I really like my Fulldrive II w/ mosfet, a lot of versatility in that unit. Stack in with one of your TS's and you should have a great OD tonal palette to choose from. They're relatively inexpensive now and you can get other tools with the funds!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Walker done done

I've heard the OCD's are great.  Never tried one myself but I have a few friends who are great players that swear by them.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

fulltone1989

Quote from: Walker done done on July 13, 2011, 10:51:26 AM
I've heard the OCD's are great.  Never tried one myself but I have a few friends who are great players that swear by them.

OCD's are based on a TS circuit, of course so is the FDII.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

picture_of_nectar

I stack a Timmy-OCD-Maxon OD9 silver.

The Timmy is almost allways on.

Then I switch between the OCD and OD9 depending on what I'm after. They have very different sounds. Basically the OD9 is thick with mids, more of a blues rock vibe. The OCD is scooped and sounds more trebley. Withthe bridge pup, watch out the OCD will tear your face off.

I've had mixed results with all 3 on at once. It can get muddy if my guit volume is cranked, but sends my hollowbody into feedback heaven.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

IamWILSON

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on July 13, 2011, 11:51:08 AM
I stack a Timmy-OCD-Maxon OD9 silver.

The Timmy is almost allways on.

Then I switch between the OCD and OD9 depending on what I'm after. They have very different sounds. Basically the OD9 is thick with mids, more of a blues rock vibe. The OCD is scooped and sounds more trebley. Withthe bridge pup, watch out the OCD will tear your face off.

I've had mixed results with all 3 on at once. It can get muddy if my guit volume is cranked, but sends my hollowbody into feedback heaven.
Interesting, I might have to borrow a buddy's OCD to do a little evaluation.  I haven't found much about the Tim or Timmy yet.  What's the difference between the 2?

Anyone here play with the King of Tone?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

ColForbin

I have a King of Tone and completely love it!  Very nice sounding pedal.  Basically, I got on the list for the KOT and got myself a Signa Drive from cmatmods.  The Signa Drive is amazing, my plan had been, get the Signa Drive and when the King of tone comes along, should I really dig it, sell the Signa.  Well, the King of Tone came along, and it was as good or better than I thought it would be, but the Signa isn't going anywhere, it's that good.  Very, very versatile.  It comes standard with a three way toggle switch that allows different clipping and gain structures.  So it can go from a clean boost, to a TS type overdrive, to a Marshall like crunch.  It's only $135.00 too, not to mention Chad is the man in terms of coolness and customer service.

The King of Tone in it's own right is an amazing overdrive pedal, and combined with the SD, I have never been more happy with my OD setup.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on July 14, 2011, 07:40:00 AM
I have a King of Tone and completely love it!  Very nice sounding pedal.  Basically, I got on the list for the KOT and got myself a Signa Drive from cmatmods.  The Signa Drive is amazing, my plan had been, get the Signa Drive and when the King of tone comes along, should I really dig it, sell the Signa.  Well, the King of Tone came along, and it was as good or better than I thought it would be, but the Signa isn't going anywhere, it's that good.  Very, very versatile.  It comes standard with a three way toggle switch that allows different clipping and gain structures.  So it can go from a clean boost, to a TS type overdrive, to a Marshall like crunch.  It's only $135.00 too, not to mention Chad is the man in terms of coolness and customer service.

The King of Tone in it's own right is an amazing overdrive pedal, and combined with the SD, I have never been more happy with my OD setup.

Have you tried a FDII? I am picking up a twin and I am debating what the better OD may be, the FDII or the Double Signa Drive.

Poster

+1 to cmatmods. Chad is a buddy, very good people. However, after you try all the above mentioned pedals, you should still check out a "Klon Centaur"

fulltone1989

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 14, 2011, 11:53:39 AM
+1 to cmatmods. Chad is a buddy, very good people. However, after you try all the above mentioned pedals, you should still check out a "Klon Centaur"

Klones are relatively inexpensive and good, but I remember seeing a Klon on ebay for around $700 or so. I've heard the buffer's in them are great though.

Poster

the buffers in them are great? what is that supposed to mean?

raisingfreen

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 14, 2011, 12:15:43 PM
the buffers in them are great? what is that supposed to mean?

Ok kids I sense there is a lesson coming soon. Stay tuned....

Always remember when "keepin it real" goes wrong.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Poster

Well, the klons i work with have true bypass switches. So it isnt buffered bypass, and there isnt an FET, or line driver built into these boxes?

The beauty of a Klon is the seemingly complex breakup... Comes from a combination of things, but they have an obscene amount of output. That probably has something to do with it.

As for another pedal worth checking out, the destination overdrive 2 is pretty amazing. Also pretty cheap at under 100 bucks used. Kimock got me turned onto that pedal

fulltone1989

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 14, 2011, 12:36:35 PM
Well, the klons i work with have true bypass switches. So it isnt buffered bypass, and there isnt an FET, or line driver built into these boxes?

Unless the Klon's you are working with have been modded, they aren't true bypass. Klons have a buffered bypass, which are very clear and transparent.

http://soundsdifferentblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/gear-review-klon-centaur.html

Poster

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on July 14, 2011, 12:48:24 PM
Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 14, 2011, 12:36:35 PM

Unless the Klon's you are working with have been modded, they aren't true bypass. Klons have a buffered bypass, which are very clear and transparent.

http://soundsdifferentblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/gear-review-klon-centaur.html

interesting reppd, doesnt surprise me they have been modded at all. studios will tend to do shit like that to make dorks like us happy when they are being charged out the ass