overdrive, distortion, fuzz pedals

Started by IamWILSON, July 12, 2011, 10:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 14, 2011, 12:50:19 PM
Quote from: tomasmaclennan on July 14, 2011, 12:48:24 PM
Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 14, 2011, 12:36:35 PM
Well, the klons i work with have true bypass switches. So it isnt buffered bypass, and there isnt an FET, or line driver built into these boxes?

Unless the Klon's you are working with have been modded, they aren't true bypass. Klons have a buffered bypass, which are very clear and transparent.

http://soundsdifferentblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/gear-review-klon-centaur.html

interesting reppd, doesnt surprise me they have been modded at all. studios will tend to do shit like that to make dorks like us happy when they are being charged out the ass

All True Bypass isn't necessarily the best route to go with a long chain I don't think, i'd imagine Mr Finnegan (Klon builder) put in the buffer's to help boost the signal along when the Klon is off.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Poster

i like the sound of the buffers in my TS pedals. Same with Maxon. I have implemented a variety of handmade buffers in the past to shape the subtleties of my clean tone when using a variety of boxes. i didnt mod the klons, just used some owned by a local studio when tracking, but now I am curious to find an original one. They were ferocious, articulate, loud as fuck, and reminded me of the combination of a silver plus a ross, all by itself. That is to say it made my amp respond in a similar way.

fulltone1989

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 14, 2011, 01:01:09 PM
i like the sound of the buffers in my TS pedals. Same with Maxon. I have implemented a variety of handmade buffers in the past to shape the subtleties of my clean tone when using a variety of boxes. i didnt mod the klons, just used some owned by a local studio when tracking, but now I am curious to find an original one. They were ferocious, articulate, loud as fuck, and reminded me of the combination of a silver plus a ross, all by itself. That is to say it made my amp respond in a similar way.

I've never used a Klon before, but I'd definitely like to try one for the fun of it. I am wondering what buffer(s) to get for my board. Here's my chain
Whammy II -> RMC3 - > FDII -> Ross Clone -> Pitchblack -> amp send -> nova Repeater -> Boomerang + -> amp return. I was thinking adding two buffers at the start and end of the chain in front of my amp, and putting an additional buffer before the Repeater in the EFX loop providing the buffer in that isn't up to snuff when I get it. I was looking at the T1M mini-buffers.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Poster

too many buffers. itll make you go full cartoon, also the whammy hates buffers. We had to dial that in over some time. Found the right ones and use a noise filter to clean things up nicely. It certainly wasnt something I would keep in the chain, only when using the WH. At the most, I would reccomend only using one at the beginning, and end of your effects chain. That whammy is a tone sucker, same with Nelsons rang, so I would always leave that in a loop with its own custom buffer.

Alot of these guys have huge rigs for touring, see my profile pic, whereas unless your playing amphitheaters on a set run of shows, maintaining a big rig like that requires some patience. Buffers need clean power. The iso strips may work for some places and not others. Really gotta get into those bigger metal transformers for clean power on a rig with alot of buffers. Its a bitch, and can often hurt more than help. If your in huge venues, get a good sound tech, they should be able to think on their feet for different venues/problems with

fulltone1989

Quote from: Ole' Whiskey Calhoone on July 14, 2011, 01:21:41 PM
too many buffers. itll make you go full cartoon, also the whammy hates buffers. We had to dial that in over some time. Found the right ones and use a noise filter to clean things up nicely. It certainly wasnt something I would keep in the chain, only when using the WH. At the most, I would reccomend only using one at the beginning, and end of your effects chain. That whammy is a tone sucker, same with Nelsons rang, so I would always leave that in a loop with its own custom buffer.

Alot of these guys have huge rigs for touring, see my profile pic, whereas unless your playing amphitheaters on a set run of shows, maintaining a big rig like that requires some patience. Buffers need clean power. The iso strips may work for some places and not others. Really gotta get into those bigger metal transformers for clean power on a rig with alot of buffers. Its a bitch, and can often hurt more than help. If your in huge venues, get a good sound tech, they should be able to think on their feet for different venues/problems with

How does the Whammy hate buffering? I was under the impression that it tracked better with a strong clean signal.

IamWILSON

Serious thread hijacking in here!

Well I'd love to try the Klon Centaur, but it sure seems like it will be way out of my pricerange.  May try to get my hands on the Timmy which sounds pretty good, but probably still not much of a change from my old ts9s.  I feel the same way about the OCD too, in that its similar to the tubescreamer, but for some reason I've heard them and they've never really made my ears perk up and wonder "what box is making that noise?"  And the Signa Drive sure sounds like its worth a shot, especially with much shorter wait and lower price compared to the KoT.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).