what does it take to run a Leslie?

Started by IamWILSON, July 29, 2011, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

A guitar student of mine told me he saw a Leslie for sale on craigslist in my area.  It's only $250!  What does it take to use it?  I imagine I need another amplifier for it? 

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/2483864405.html
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: IamWILSON on July 29, 2011, 07:20:28 PM
A guitar student of mine told me he saw a Leslie for sale on craigslist in my area.  It's only $250!  What does it take to use it?  I imagine I need another amplifier for it? 

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/2483864405.html

I'd imagine you'd need a power amp to run the Leslie. I think Trey used a DRRI to run his.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

raisingfreen

You will need the correct preamp to run this (specifically the UC-1A  COMBO PRE-AMP with the 6 pin cable). If you look inside the pics you will see it has an amp (power amp) in it already. Do a bit of research and you will find the info you need to run and maintain these. Not cheap! Although would be cool to have one in the man cave.

Here is a site with some parts you will need when things break down. http://www.trekii.com/mainindex.html#PREAMPS

Research this a bit and you know why "It's only $250!" if it came with the preamp it would be much much more... If the seller has the working preamp. Snag this asap and sit on it.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

raisingfreen

Take another look at the picture of the leslie in question and see if you notice anything missing. This is a Leslie per say but not actually the one we all associate the sound with. Its missing a key element. There are to parts to the sound the rotory Drum and Horn. This is just the lower half it appears. Looks like this was for use with the bottom end sounds of an organ if I am not mistaken. I am no expert however but do dig this sound.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

IamWILSON

Yeah, I figured out pretty quickly that this wasn't the 122 or 144.  Even the one speaker sounds great I'm sure.  I think I've read somewhere that Trey even used to only run his with one speaker (the horn if I remember correctly?).  Anyway, I've decided to pass on it.  And in the process of research and looking around for others I've come across a Hammond CV organ for sale in my city for $200.  These are capable of being modified to obtain B3 sounds.  So I'm gonna go take a look at it Monday night.  If all goes well I'll be the happy owner of a 450lb & 70 year old instrument that looks like furniture.   
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).