Calling all speaker connoisseurs!!

Started by ColForbin, September 14, 2011, 09:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColForbin

Ok,

I am upgrading my DRRI.  Now before I get started I've definitely heard the comment before, "don't bother, just save your money and get a vintage deluxe reverb..." 

I totally agree with that argument when I hear it being said to somebody who is about to buy a new DRRI and they are inquiring about mods.  But for somebody like me, who's had his DRRI for 5 years or so, and has gotten his moneys worth out of 5 times over, it's a bit of a different situation.  Also, I really like my amp, I am not one who thinks just because it's a reissue, that it sucks.  I certainly don't want to turn this thread into a vintage vs. reissue debate, so I'm digressing a bit.  But I have noticed that I'm much more in love with the sound of the amp through my JG-1 cab than just the straight up combo.  So I'm thinking on these three things:

1)  I am replacing the transformers with Mercury Magnetics, more on that in a bit.
2)  I am putting JJ tubes in
3)  I want to replace the on board speaker

Here's the thing.  I've been recommended the Weber 12f150 as a replacement in my amp, and by all reports that sounds good, but here's the kicker.  The output transformer that I am getting has 2-4-8 ohm secondary taps, which is my understanding would allow me to run my 8ohm cab along with my 8ohm on board speaker.  So 3-12" speaker operating on stage, which I think would sound pretty killer.  I know that I like tone tubby however....

The question, "Would it be mismatched or weird to have a weber speaker run with 2xtone tubby's?  Should I just get another tone tubby and have them all operate together?"

We are talking about a $200 difference in the two, so it's decision time.  Any input you strange designers have would be greatly appreciated.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

ShockedAndPersuaded

Here's my 2 cents and it's not worth that sometimes. I have the exact same set up. I've got 2 TT in my JG-1 and a Weber 75 watt blue alnico in the DR. I like the combo of the three speakers. The Weber has a little more upper mids and a slightly different top end. The MM tranny upgrade is worth the $. I put a MM fat stack in a RI SR and it made all the difference. The multi tap feature is nice but keep in mind the different settings yield slightly different tones. It makes the tranny work more or less depending on how low the load. Hope this helps.
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

ColForbin

Thanks man, it certainly does help.  But it also begs the question, have I been looking at the right speaker.  Weber recommended their 12F150 ceramic as "the" speaker for Deluxe Reverb.  But it's my impression an alnico would give me a creamier tone.  What are some peeps recommendations for speakers on a DRRI?  Weber?  Cannabis Rex? Something else?
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

fulltone1989

I really liked the Cannabis Rex in my Traynor, had a more-organic feel that a V30 and it responded to dynamics quite well. It really depends on what you're looking for in terms of tone ie - headroom, mids, voicing etc. The EV's brand of speaker has the highest amount of headroom. The Cannabis Rex is mids-heavy to my ear, and in a DR or any fender amp (scooped mids) it can be beneficial if that's the sound you're going after. Since the TT and Cannabis Rex are both Hempcone, and you like the TTs in the JG-1, I'd recommend a Cannabis Rex in your DR; personally at least.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

picture_of_nectar

I use Celestion Vintage 30s in my Rivera and Blues Jr. And my Twin has a 4x12" can with 4 Super 65's

I like both. Not gunna try and describe the tone, but I'm very happy with it.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Not gonna lie, I didn't even read any of these posts...but my answer would be a Tone Tubby, plain and simple.  Fucking great speakers.  $300.

http://www.tonetubby.com/pdfs/specs/Red-12-8.pdf
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

GDCSH-1

Quote from: Walker done done on September 16, 2011, 03:09:52 PM
Not gonna lie, I didn't even read any of these posts...but my answer would be a Tone Tubby, plain and simple.  Fucking great speakers.  $300.

http://www.tonetubby.com/pdfs/specs/Red-12-8.pdf

Agree, got a tt alnico in my DR for a few years now (along with tube upgrades no major mods though), been happy ever since, nicely broken in and nails the tone I've spent a while searching for.
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

ColForbin

Thanks guys, I've nailed it down to either the Cannibis Rex or the Tone Tubby.  The CR is approximately 1/3 of the price, but due to experience, I know I will like the Tone Tubby.....but is it 3x as good as the CR???? Huh?  Is it?
Current rig: 

Happyorange27

I have the Cannabis Rex.  It is the bomb!  You won't be disappointed.  Hell you could always sell it if you don't like it.  Also, I read that the CR cone is made by Tone Tubby and private labeled for Emminence so it actually IS a Tone Tubby.  You win!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

GDCSH-1

Some differences to take into account,

The Tone Tubby I have and talking about is the "Tone Tubby Red Alnico" - Alnico speaker magnet (they also came out with a new one called the " TT Black Alnico"). Which tone tubby are you looking at? the Alnico or the Tone Tubby 40/40 ceramic? I mention this because the Cannabis Rex has a ceramic magnet. Do you want a speaker that has an Alnico or Ceramic magnet? Alnico speakers are usually more expensive, explains the price diff a little.

ColForbin

The red alnico is the one I was looking at, the same one that is in my cab.  Also, thank you for clearing up the magnet that it is in the CR.  I could not, for the life of me find out what magnet was in it.  Also, I read on tgp the TT making the hempcone for Eminence was internet misinformation, but maybe not.  The fact that the CR is ceramic, definitely explains the price difference.  We'll see, there is a TT on ebay right now for $195ish so, I might go for it.  I don't know....

P.S. @ GDCSH-1, your inbox is full dude.
Current rig: 

GDCSH-1

Quote from: ColForbin on September 21, 2011, 08:53:12 PM
The red alnico is the one I was looking at, the same one that is in my cab.  Also, thank you for clearing up the magnet that it is in the CR.  I could not, for the life of me find out what magnet was in it.  Also, I read on tgp the TT making the hempcone for Eminence was internet misinformation, but maybe not.  The fact that the CR is ceramic, definitely explains the price difference.  We'll see, there is a TT on ebay right now for $195ish so, I might go for it.  I don't know....

P.S. @ GDCSH-1, your inbox is full dude.

Thanks for the inbox notice, it was full of those messages sayin my comp has a potential virus, or infectious..something like that lol i guess their spam related, didnt open them, deleted.

But nice man, thats a good price for the tt. You can mix ceramic an alnico speakers as well, tt and rex in your cab.. etc. I haven't heard what it sounds like but I know players do it.

Happyorange27

Hey I love my CR but I have some cash to blow and I'm thinking of trying out a Vintage 30.

Poster

A vintage 30 is a pretty thin sounding speaker. Why not get something with a heavier dope and more substantial magnet.