AO Guitars Workingmans Venus

Started by raisingfreen, September 27, 2011, 11:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

Been meaning to post this for the last month or so. After several years of doing business with Andrew at AO Guitars I have taken delivery of the finest guitar I have ever played. Andrew has posted this recent project on his website so all of the specifics are listed there. I would list them here however, I want to encourage anyone intrigued by this to visit his site.

Walker initially introduced me to Andrew in a round about way, and over the years I have been very impressed by the work he has done for me. My first visit to AO Guitars was for a modification and complete refinish to an old ibanez. While exploring his wonderful workspace, I noticed this unfinished guitar body sitting on a storage shelf. There were all sorts of unfinished guitar bodies in progress however this one just caught my attention. It was simple and beautiful. I picked it up and at some point I mentioned to Andrew that "this looks like a working mans guitar". The overall shape and spruce top in contrast to the detailed maple back was different yet distinct. Its not over detailed, just simple. After some conversation about the project at hand, back on the shelf it went. Over the years there was not one visit to Andrews shop where we did not have at least a small conversion about this guitar body....Long story short is eventually he agreed to sell and finish it for me even though it was his unfinished original prototype for his Hollow Rim design. The guitar needed a neck so Andrew made a custom Soft V neck for it, exactly the way I wanted it. We discussed electronics a bit however, for the most part, I just let him do what he does best.

Reviews of custom guitars and builders can sometimes be misleading, as so many times they are purchased, played briefly and then new buyers go on the forums to state thier findings. I felt it was more honest to really dig in and experience the guitar for several weeks and let it "settle in" before I would say anything. Andrew really took the time to understand what I was after when building the neck specifically and absolutely nailed what I had in my mind while still keeping his overall concept completely in tact. The end result was a extremely versatile, light weight, smooth playing guitar. Its balanced, not neck heavy. Its open and airy, while still controllable feedback wise. Its got balls when needed and it has just the right amount of tonal options without having to think too much. Its unique sound stands out. Its worth mentioning that due to whatever wizardry he does with setups it also stays in tune better than any guitar I have ever played. In other words I am pleased.

Andrew is a very talented guitar builder. You don't have to meet a many (or any) luthiers to form the opinion, as the way he maintains his shop and the level of experience he has is immediately noticeable. Its everywhere. Customer service is a important issue for me as well and Andrew knows exactly how to under promise and over deliver every time. Its not fast work but its done right the very first time. Top that off with him being a hell of a nice guy to put it simply. Every conversation I have ever had with him I learned something new. He is an artist and a absolute craftsmen.

Start a conversation with Andrew and you may end up with your dream guitar as well good friend when all is done.

http://www.aoguitars.com/?p=1103

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

ColForbin

NICE!!!!

I knew it was somebody on here who had this, I just wasn't sure who.  Glad you like it man, I'm looking forward to mine.  Andrew is an absolute joy to deal with, very flexible, very open to whatever crazy or not so crazy ideas you might have.  Even though he's a Patriots fan, silly Olson.

I like how you decided to dig into it before writing a review.  Are your toggle switches series/parallel for both pickups, or do they do something else?
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

jadirusso

Very nice write up freen. Glad you are happy with it. Andrew is the man!
Not too much longer now and I'll have my AO as well.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

raisingfreen

Quote from: ColForbin on September 28, 2011, 07:37:32 AM
Are your toggle switches series/parallel for both pickups, or do they do something else?

This is a great question and precisely why I did not write a review immediately. The wiring or switch options available for guitars is vast and a very objective thing. I initially asked Andrew to more or less wire it like the red head guy has. (whats good for him is good for me right?) (what a silly assumption) I quickly learned that was not necessarily the right option for me and the way I play. This guitar is different and has its own vibe going on. Andrew chooses pickups that match his guitars and I feel his wiring options provide just the right amount of function without being too complicated. (see his Jerryfication page for crazy switcharoo madness). After playing the guitar for a few weeks I realized that I missed the simplicity of using two Series/Split/Parallel (one for each pickup). He had done this for me on another guitar and I loved it. Being fortunate enough to live near his shop, I had him swap out the Master Coil Tap/ Master Series Parallel switches and reinstall what I was used to. The Master Coil Tap/ Master Series Parallel wiring is very nice and provides lots of tonal options. It was just not for me.

Let me explain why I think the Series/Split/Parallel switch is best for me. I am picky about neck pickups in particular. Andrews choice of the Wolfetone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers was just perfect and absolutely addressed my concern about not wanting a neck pickup that is too dark or muddy. I also don't use very much overdrive by way of pedals. Being able to have my neck pickup be in Parallel (to chill it out somewhat) while having the bridge stay in Series is a really handy option especially for rhythm playing. Switching from Parallel to Series provides just enough of a boost on either pickup that it makes it easy to get just the amount of grit assuming your amp(s) reacts the way mine do (20-30 watt Class A styles). Since I primarily prefer the sound of the neck in Parallel and or Split, using a Master Series Parallel switch would require me to make two changes when going from bridge to neck. This is personal preference but in my opinion still provides me the same options as the latter (just in a different way). I can still turn on the dark side by switching the neck to Series when needed. If your a set it and forget it type player its important to keep these options in mind. Talk to your doctor before making this important decision about your wiring.

I really think its important to keep in mind that no matter what guitar your playing or having built (at least in reference to phishy esque sounds and this forum) equipping a guitar with the same pickups and wiring options as the red head guy may not be the best idea unless they happen to really compliment the specific guitar. I like how Andrew specifically chose pickups that compliment and work for his guitars. He'll use others upon request, but why not let the artist do his job. In reference to writing reviews its important to keep in mind what the customer asked for in comparison to how they perceive the guitar the builder made for them.

jadirusso

Hrmm I hadn't really put that much thought into the toggle switch options.  I believe I'm going with the Master series/parallel and coil tap option. It's good to read your explanation of your reasons for changing. I guess I'll decide if the master option is the right one for me once I get it and play it for a bit.

HappyOrange- if you happen to see this.. can you chime in on how you like the toggle options on yours?
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185

manicstarseed

Well I don't have that thar hollowbodiedness y'all on about..... I do have thoughts on this topic... The Col has a point. I wired my LP's Pearly Gates in Split/Series and the ability to choose the individual pickup's state is golden. Doing it again, I think I would go parallel/series. In a new build, I think a 3 way switch for each pickup would work better. I am self-limited by the available parts that work in the LP w/o drilling.

I think the Master approach is a practical simplification. It limits the total number options but ensures specific results and allows one  to focus on other aspects of the music. This in itself can make the simplification a masterful stroke in design.

Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Happyorange27

Quote from: jadirusso on September 28, 2011, 04:09:31 PM
Hrmm I hadn't really put that much thought into the toggle switch options.  I believe I'm going with the Master series/parallel and coil tap option. It's good to read your explanation of your reasons for changing. I guess I'll decide if the master option is the right one for me once I get it and play it for a bit.

HappyOrange- if you happen to see this.. can you chime in on how you like the toggle options on yours?

Hey Joe, I have the Master series/parallel and the coil split going on.  When i first got the guitar I wasn't sure which switch was which (I think I got the wrong information from some sources :)) but now I figured it out.  I like the coil splitting for very clean Fender sounds but I don't use it too often.  What i do you often is the master series/parallel because it kicks in more volume and grabs all the overtones and feedback.  So basically i play in the parallel realm during softer parts of the song and when i'm ready to unleash the beast, i just switch on the series so both pickups are active.  I must warn you that there are limitations to this set up.  I think the series thing only works when the pickup selector is in the neck position.  Please look at this setup.  I'm 95% sure this is what i have.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3L10_05/2-Humbuckers3-Way-Lever-Switch1-VolumeSeries-Parallel.html
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

raisingfreen

Quote from: manicstarseed on September 28, 2011, 11:08:10 PM
In a new build, I think a 3 way switch for each pickup would work better.
Quote from: Happyorange27 on September 29, 2011, 11:34:17 AM
What i do you often is the master series/parallel because it kicks in more volume and grabs all the overtones and feedback.

This is what I had put on the AO after trying the the other way. Two (3 way) Series/Split/Parallel switches. Once for each pickup. It does not make me have to think. I know exactly what will occur. There may be some interesting tones available using Parallel and Split (within the same pickup) however I assume just slight less output as compared to a Series Split setting which is what is happening I recall when the Split is active anyway on a normal wired guitar. It's still in Series, just Split. When I hit a switch I expect something to change audibly and be predictable. You know like "open the door and the light comes on" (just like the William "The Fridge" Perry during the Super Bowl shuffle)

Happyorange27

Quote from: raisingfreen on September 29, 2011, 02:25:20 PM
Quote from: manicstarseed on September 28, 2011, 11:08:10 PM
In a new build, I think a 3 way switch for each pickup would work better.
Quote from: Happyorange27 on September 29, 2011, 11:34:17 AM
What i do you often is the master series/parallel because it kicks in more volume and grabs all the overtones and feedback.

This is what I had put on the AO after trying the the other way. Two (3 way) Series/Split/Parallel switches. Once for each pickup. It does not make me have to think. I know exactly what will occur. There may be some interesting tones available using Parallel and Split (within the same pickup) however I assume just slight less output as compared to a Series Split setting which is what is happening I recall when the Split is active anyway on a normal wired guitar. It's still in Series, just Split. When I hit a switch I expect something to change audibly and be predictable. You know like "open the door and the light comes on" (just like the William "The Fridge" Perry during the Super Bowl shuffle)

Dude i agree with you so much.  Unfortunately my setup doesn't always audibly change because some combinations don't change tone at all.  I've checked all combinations and there are a handful that are exactly the same and that sucks.  If i have switches, i want all combinations to yeild a different sound.  This makes me think about having my guitar changed to your style.  I bet AO would like to have my guitar back in his hands for old times sake :).
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

jadirusso

Well now.. after this conversation I'm  going to have to give AO a call and discuss this to clear it all up.  thanks..
Joe

Happyorange27

Quote from: jadirusso on September 29, 2011, 02:55:22 PM
Well now.. after this conversation I'm  going to have to give AO a call and discuss this to clear it all up.  thanks..
it's a good thing you did your homework then now isn't it :)

Happyorange27

Also, this might be intersting about Paul's "hint".  Looks like Freen is Keen  ;)
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=493005

raisingfreen

How this stuff really works is beyond me. DPDT, SPST, Switches, Toggles yaddi yaddi.... This is why my money just goes to Andrew and he makes it sound good. We describe in laymen's terms what we want and he knows the skills and geek speak to Git-R-Done!

I wonder if there is a forum for when people need to put in new toilets and how the flange is positioned to get the best possible seal etc... I came home to my wife ripping up a bathroom once due to a leak and then tried to reinstall the toilet.......(: Good Times)....When faced with adversity you need to make a decision. Are you a do-it-yo-self'er, or would you be willing to pay someone a reasonable charge to have it done right. In my case, assuming to know what I actually wanted based on some hero's guitar, more than likely slowed down the ultimate completed delivery of my own. I did learn few things along the way. None of which improved my playing one single bit.

The way Andrew ultimately had to decide what I really wanted my guitar to sound like was to use the Rorschach Test. We had a few beers first, but it all worked out.

ColForbin

Me likey this thread, I did a little something different w/ my switches, but I'll save that for when the guitar is done.  Just in case I do my typical "change my mind 100 times on one thing",...thing.  That AO sure is patient with me, gotta give 'em that.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

raisingfreen

Another topic about this guitar and possibly happy's is about the use of the Zero Fret and OR on other modified guitars, is the use of the Buzz Feiten Tuning System. My understanding is that this can either be accomplished by using a Zero Fret setup and or use a BFTS Nut. I was pretty intimidated by this type of setup and had a lot of questions. The fact is it works great and in my opinion may even contribute to the way AO guitars stay in tune so well (especially with the Zero Fret setup). Note, I may word something the wrong way as I am still aloof to exactly how this works. I sprung for the Peterson Strobe Flip Tuner just to get some knowledge with this. According to Andrew you can still tune using ANY standard tuner, but in order to intonate correctly you would need to use the correct Buzz Feiten offsets (now programmed into a few newer style tuners on the market).

I had always felt I was pretty good at doing guitar setups, intonations etc..., in my own little dream world I thought I could even be a guitar tech as I like to troubleshoot. After talking with Andrew over the years it is a welcome reality check as to just how much misinformation can be spewed out (either by me, others online, in forums, etc) when we think we know what we are talking about. For instance the look on Andrews face when I very confidently, try to explain my understanding of how things like intonation and switches are supposed to work. He is kind enough not to laugh most of the time and gladly tells me once again on a level that I can comprehend.

Heres a tip. If you call or visit his shop and ask questions, write the answers down! I did not do this initially and ended up repeating myself a bit. DOH!
It'll save a lot of time that can be used for other things like discussing your next AO custom "Hollow Rim Jerry Hogcaster with a Kung-FU-Grip" and maybe with some shavings from one of Poster's Deer Antlers sprinkled in for Nostalgia.