Ultralinear Pro Reverb

Started by fulltone1989, October 14, 2011, 02:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

I have an offer for a late-70's SF Pro Reverb in trade for my DRRI, having never tried an ultra-linear (master volume) amp I am curious to see if any strangedesigners have a later-SF Twin or something along those lines and what your opinion on it is! I'd be looking for a loud clean amp that loves pedals. Since its hand-wired clipping the bright cap or any other modifications would be cheaper than that of a PCB amp. It also has a 15" Pyle speaker in there and that is my only concern because the baffle must've been hacked up to accommodate that one, and bringing it back to a 2x12 configuration would be difficult. I don't really buy into the "harshness" or "brittleness" used to describe TGP'ers views about this amp.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

raisingfreen

Based on the mods to the Baffle and whatever else may have been done that you cant see, if you don't like the amp my fear is that you end up with something that has less resale value then your existing DRRI. Easy enough to change the baffle however and are readily available. A 15" may sound great though. Like an old VibroVerb kinda.

I have played SF Pro Reverbs several times and they can do clean very well (just a tad louder). I cant say it would sound all that different than your DRRI however. Master volume SF amps just don't demand the money as the non ones do. If you can try the amp out first obviously that would help.

A used DRRI in good shape goes anywhere from $450-700 (from what I have seen on ebay). There are just so many available. I remember trying to sell one and it was a shame what they actually get resale unless your lucky. A untouched Pro Reverb may fetch more but not much.

Maybe consider a speaker change in your DRRI? I bet you did that already though. Have you tried a 30-50watt Weber Blue in your DRRI? It's worth a listen IMO.

Check out the sound Eric Heywood (Ray LaMontagne's band) gets with rented DRRI's in various cities. They aren't bad if you can deal with the whole PCB distinction.

Check out old 30-45 watt Groove Tube combo amps as well (the soul-0 30, 45, 75 etc...) Great sounding amps flexible tube configurations and the prices have come down over the years. Same weight as the DRRI with more options tonally.

I dont think I answered your question, but food for thought.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

fulltone1989

I haven't really given a speaker any thought until now, does the blue dog begin to break up at a higher volume?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

raisingfreen

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on October 14, 2011, 04:11:40 PM
does the blue dog begin to break up at a higher volume?

What makes this speaker great is exactly because of when it breaks up on some deluxe reverbs. I can only speak for the 30-50watt alinco version however at a reasonable stage/jamming volume (approx 6-7) on a deluxe it just sounds great. Hard to describe but obvious why Trey used one when you hear it.

Give it a try. Maybe some good tubes as well. I like DRRIs regardless of the PCB nonsense. They sound good and cost little on the used market. Whats not to like?

fulltone1989

Quote from: raisingfreen on October 14, 2011, 04:52:55 PM
Quote from: tomasmaclennan on October 14, 2011, 04:11:40 PM
does the blue dog begin to break up at a higher volume?

What makes this speaker great is exactly because of when it breaks up on some deluxe reverbs. I can only speak for the 30-50watt alinco version however at a reasonable stage/jamming volume (approx 6-7) on a deluxe it just sounds great. Hard to describe but obvious why Trey used one when you hear it.

Give it a try. Maybe some good tubes as well. I like DRRIs regardless of the PCB nonsense. They sound good and cost little on the used market. Whats not to like?

Very true, I have GT's in there not :( but I have a set of JJ 6v6s that I just have to stick in there and bias. The only issue is I don't use my DRRI every day, at my rehearsal space. The reason I said that is there would be a longer break-in period. Does the blue dog get rid of the "boxiness" when the amp is cranked?

raisingfreen

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on October 14, 2011, 05:04:13 PM
Does the blue dog get rid of the "boxiness" when the amp is cranked?

I would say it just gives the amp a flavor that is recognizable and distinct. It will have a break up that is smooth and not "ice pick" so to speak. A broken in Weber Alinco Blue is a great thing to have. They are available used and already broken in. I used a 30watt in my 69 DR and loved it. I sold that amp however and have been trying different things but I will always go back to that comparison and may go back to it again. I had a Sylvania 5u4 in the rectifier  as well as some really nice green label sylvania 6v6's. It was a really tight great rock and roll sound. I use a Groove Tubes Soul-O 30 now but always miss the DR with the weber.

Boxiness could be the space you are hearing the amp. My little 57 tweed sounds like crap in the man cave but just wonderful in an open room. Never judge an amp in a smaller space in my experience. It will sound different when given room to breath.

fulltone1989

Great advice, thanks. Currently checking out a Weber vibrolux kit with Mercury magnetic OT but I may hold onto the DRRI for awhile.

sour d

I would trade for the old silverface if I were you. The first thing you need to do is play through the amp. That may be the deciding factor for you. A reissue deluxe can be had fairly easily but a silverface pro reverb with a 15" speaker are not as common. You may never see another, who knows. As far as the master volume thing, a lot of people talk shit about it and some mod the amps to remove it, but I find it very useful on my silverface twin. Volume on 8 and master wherever it needs to be depending on the venue etc.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

Very good to know, thanks sour.

It's between that SF Pro or a Sligo vibrolux for a NAD for me.