11/21-23/97 Release / Wah ?

Started by MomaDan, October 27, 2011, 08:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MomaDan

So Phish is remastering 11/21 through 11/23/97 and I'm pretty happy since 11/22 is my favorite show. It sounds crystal clear and there is a little sampler of the Mike's Groove right here: http://www.relix.com/audio/relix-radio/2011/10/27/phish-mike-s-groove
If you want to buy the box set its here:
http://drygoods.phish.com/Dept.aspx?cp=773_52623

Now we all take about gear all the time here so I'm going to throw in my question. I'm looking for a wah pedal and that can give me the tone during that Mike's Song. Anything close?

Also kinda related, but according to the legend when did Trey get the RMC3 (whether its true or not)?
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Brian27

Trey has never played a wah other then a Dunlop GCB 95.

Happyorange27

Dan I agree that this sounds like a Cry Baby.  I have one so I can say it's basically what I get out of mine.  Do you have one?  If so, what are you not getting out of your wah?  Which revision board do you have in there?  Have you considered upgrading your inductor or playing with the vocal, mids, bass or input resistor?  Have you experimented with and ICAR 100K pot?  How about moving the pot a couple teeth either way (calibrate).  What about using a different value for the main coupling capacitor.  These are all good things to experiment with so you can get closer to what you want. 

Remember it took Brian and Trey many, many different Cry Babies until they found the one they liked.  God know what is really inside there because maybe somebody did some mods in there and that was the one they picked.  I don't know.  :P
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

MomaDan

No wah right now. I've just been scanning a couple classified sites looking for a decent wah. I was also thinking about getting a cheaper wah and having a friend help me with the soldering for some mods. Good point about the Trey wah happy, thats what makes the discussion so fun.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Happyorange27

Dan I would personally help you with your wah and I could even mod it for you if you want.  Hell I would mail you my Cry Baby and if you like the way it is set up I would sell it to you or we could just mod another Cry Baby the same way.  Let me know.  I have 2 wahs so i can lend you one for trial purposes.
Or just buy any working Cry Baby of ebay.  Worst case is it needs some tweaks.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Happyorange27

MomaDan

Thanks for the offer happy 8). I havent been on the site in a couple days after missing out on NYE tickets. Time to save up to try and get some Phish holiday run tickets before any new gear now. I'll let you know

Phabulous

So was that Teese hiding inside a Dunlop case all just a made up tale?

manicstarseed

Quote from: Happyorange27 on October 28, 2011, 07:53:38 AM
.....  How about moving the pot a couple teeth either way (calibrate). 

That's a great tip. I ran over and adjusted it by a tooth and it totally smoothed out the range. It went extremely high before and now it is more"musically ranged"

Quote from: Happyorange27 on October 28, 2011, 07:53:38 AM
-Have you considered upgrading your inductor or playing with the vocal, mids, bass or input resistor? 
- Have you experimented with and ICAR 100K pot?
-What about using a different value for the main coupling capacitor.  ..... 

This has me intrigued what does the inductor or capacitor  upgrade do for the sound?
What is special about an ICAR pot?

I really want to love my Wah but  it is still suffering intermittent problems and I suspect the pot. It started  cutting out again  after I adjusted the teeth.

Happy, If I was to take a picture, could you mark it up with some instructions on which components we are speaking about?

Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Happyorange27

Yes I could point out anything you want. You should also research Geofx as a staple wah site. I learned a bunch there. Post here or pm me.
Is your switch ok? My original switch went bad. I could here wah sound even when I clicked it of. That's what got me into DIY mods in the first place.
Check for any pinched wires too.

Whatever I can do to help. :)

Happyorange27

Also learn at dandyjob.com. That's my dude Whipple (and I designed that site).

MomaDan

Good to see this topic still going. I went with the RMC Picture wah, its sounds amazing and does the Trey thing very well. Unfortunately its with Teese right now getting worked on. The pedal came to me with the switching a little messed up  :(

To Phabulous:No one really knows about Trey's wah but an RMC3 would make sense or maybe its just modded to sound similar

sour d

Sounds like we need to have a comparison test. Like we did with the ross comps. I can give walker or maybe raisingfreen a bunch of wahs and have them report back. Right now I have a rmc3, a teese joe walsh, an area51, a whipple, and throw in a few crybaby pedals from the early 70's to the present.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Happyorange27

Quote from: sour d on December 18, 2011, 10:16:45 PM
Sounds like we need to have a comparison test. Like we did with the ross comps. I can give walker or maybe raisingfreen a bunch of wahs and have them report back. Right now I have a rmc3, a teese joe walsh, an area51, a whipple, and throw in a few crybaby pedals from the early 70's to the present.
That would be sweet.  Might I make some suggestions.  Have a phrase sampler be playing the same loop for all pedals.  Just play the same exact sample through each wah.  Do your best to sweep the wah the same each time (that will be the hard part). Also try to capture this on mp3 or video so everyone can hear it.  That would be the shiz-nits.

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on December 18, 2011, 10:16:45 PM

Count me in!  ;D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.