Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Started by ColForbin, November 22, 2011, 12:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColForbin

Just curious fellas, down in the states, what do you typically see DR silverface amps going for?  Just a general price window would be great.  Cheers.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

raisingfreen

Depending on the year the price will very a little. Early silver faces go for a bit more but are not necessarily different than early 70s versions. In any case I would say you should be able to pick up any non-pull vol silverface for between $700-1,200 depending on the exact year and condition. If you want to get one for less then get one that has been changed a bit. Non-original speaker/tubes etc... If you going to mod it anyway just get a used one that does not need to be perfect. A handwired silverface can easily be had for less than a reissue new if you look.

I have owned 4. Reissue' Paid $800, 79' Paid $850 (was mint and all original but had pull boost), 75' Paid $900, 69' Paid $880 (had weber blue and amazing tubes). I have also lost money selling them occasionally however as people are picky about these amps. They need to be perfect to get the top dollar.

The 69' was my favorite even though it had thin PVC wire. I think it was the right tubes and speaker honestly and nothing to do with the year.

I always regret selling one as they are just such a good reference as to what a good amp should sound like.

I have a Groove Tubes Soul-O-30 that sounds a lot like a deluxe reverb. Just has 6L6s instead. Different Flavor.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

picture_of_nectar

I have been hunting vintage Fenders lately and for Silverface DRs I have seen as low as $1,000 and as high as $1,800....depending on condition. I'd say $1,500 is about average.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

sour d

There was one on the Maine craigslist this week for $975.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

ColForbin

Thanks fellas, I was just looking for a reference point.  For some things, you can pay a lot more in Canada, just because it's Canada, but in this case it looks like it's all pretty even, right across the board.  There's a silverface in immaculate condition in a neighbouring province for $900.00CAD, so I was going to start talking to the gent who's selling it.  Maybe.  Dude didn't list the year, but I can tell it's not a push pull master vol type, so it's probably early 70's.  But anyway, more digging is required.

I feel the general consensus is, that I will notice a significant difference over my reissue.   Thoughts?  I know it's been discussed to death.
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

sour d

You will have something that will hold value if not gain over time . push pull , master or not , I think you will love it. Big improvement over a reissue .
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

ColForbin

Quote from: sour d on November 22, 2011, 03:46:49 PM
You will have something that will hold value if not gain over time . push pull , master or not , I think you will love it. Big improvement over a reissue .

That's kind of the way I'm leaning.  I haven't put any extra money into the reissue, I was pricing up mods and stuff and I feel that I should just put the money into the real deal.  Something cactus told me to do almost a year ago....lol.
Current rig: