Silverface Vibrolux Re verb

Started by ColForbin, December 14, 2011, 11:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColForbin

My brothers,

As I was with the Deluxe Reverb, I am looking at a Silverface Vibrolux Reverb in great shape.  Has original OT's, choke, speakers, and was just serviced.  The question is, has anyone ever played a vibrolux and what are the thoughts?  I'm toying with picking up another Twin, but eff me they are heavy and I don't need 100watts.  Also, I've never played 2x10, is that a limiting factor?  He is asking for $1400 obo and I'm wondering what a fair offer would be?  How much would a sf vibrolux typically go for....here is the amp in question:

Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on December 14, 2011, 11:10:38 AM
My brothers,

As I was with the Deluxe Reverb, I am looking at a Silverface Vibrolux Reverb in great shape.  Has original OT's, choke, speakers, and was just serviced.  The question is, has anyone ever played a vibrolux and what are the thoughts?  I'm toying with picking up another Twin, but eff me they are heavy and I don't need 100watts.  Also, I've never played 2x10, is that a limiting factor?  He is asking for $1400 obo and I'm wondering what a fair offer would be?  How much would a sf vibrolux typically go for....here is the amp in question:

A beautiful amp indeed!

As with many silverfaces, the earlier the better in my honest opinion and others as well. I like 2x10, they gave my sound "more--punch" so-to-say. Tonewise, it's one of the best amps I played through, and it ate pedals. 40 watts is loud enough for a lot of musical situations too.

As far as money goes, I'd offer him $1100, sell your Twin, and get a tweed champ or something for home practice!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

ColForbin

Thanks man, that's definitely food for thought. 
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

Happyorange27

Looks sweet.  Yeah talk him down a bit if you can.  Also there are modifications that you can do to get this puppy into blackface territory, if you want to do that down the road.  The Weber book I read had all those little mods and tricks in it.  I played 2 x 10 for years and it was fine but just think of which speakers you might not be able to get for 10's versus the spectrum of 12's out there.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

raisingfreen

This is a really nice amp. I would not touch a thing except for basic maintenance. $1100 would seem fair. Weber has a full spectrum of 10s available if you must change them. Just hold on to the originals in case you resell the amp.

I would buy this and just play it as is. These have thier own vibe too them.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

picture_of_nectar

I have been doing a bunch of research on old Fenders and been tossing between a Pro and Vibrolux Reverb.

It sounds like the Vibrolux is known to break up earlier at lower volumes, so if you are looking for sweet tube distortion you will probably be really happy with it. I would try to find out what year this Vibro was made and do some research on it. At some point in the 70s the circuitry was changed, and the earlier ones were more desirable.

The Twin of course has more clean headroom at 80watts. Has a reputation as one of the best clean platforms out there. But many claim it's too heavy and loud for your typical bar gigging musician. I have a Twin that was split into a head making the weight more manageable. And it is loud. It really hits it's sweet spot at around 7....which is about the max my ears can handle. Personally I really like how the Twin sounds even played down at 3.

Added- this is some really good info:
http://fenderguru.com/amps/vibrolux
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

picture_of_nectar

I ended up buying a '70 Silverface Vibrolux and I absolutely love the tones this thing produces.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

ColForbin

I ended up going in a different direction, dude hasn't sold this yet and if I'm not mistaken has dropped his price.  I'm hearing a lot of good things about it though.
Current rig: 

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on January 20, 2012, 07:55:31 AM
I ended up going in a different direction, dude hasn't sold this yet and if I'm not mistaken has dropped his price.  I'm hearing a lot of good things about it though.

What'd ya get!?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

ColForbin

I don't officially have it in my possession yet, but I got a great deal on a Dr. Z EZG50 that sounds great.  Exactly what I'm looking for, for my HT cab.  50 watts of tone, the marketing calls it "the blackface head that never was, " so take that for what it's worth.  I'm about $250.00 away from it being mine, so I'm pretty stoked.
Current rig: