Which pickups for my Koa AO Hollow Rim?

Started by jadirusso, December 16, 2011, 11:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jadirusso

So AO has informed me that he could get Lollar Imperials if I wanted... Originally we were just going to go with the Wolfetone Dr Vintage pickups. Do any of you all have any suggestions regarding this? From what I've found online they are both great pickups. Just looking for any info that might sway me one way or the other.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

picture_of_nectar

Really happy with my Imperials in my Koa hollowbody.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

IamWILSON

I've always heard that imperials are great!  On the other hand, alot of the Wolfetone samples I've heard on the site sound amazing too.  In fact, I've always been tempted to put the Wolfetone flashback pickups in my strat.  From my talking with AO, I think you should trust him on whatever he thinks will be best in your guitar.  I'm excited to hear that your guitar is almost done, because I really can't wait for him to start mine!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

raisingfreen

AO will also put in Wolftone "Grey Wolfs" (if they still exist). He used this in my workin mans build and it was a good choice. Neck humbucker that is not muddy, perfect bridge PU tone. Seems to be balanced just right. Maybe check out the wolftone website for sound descriptions?

He knows more about the subtleties of these things. I had always wondered what it would sound like with two bridge pickups or if that would make the neck too loud. Basically what would happen if both were producing the same output and its just the location that affects the tone?

Honestly I would trust whatever he recommends based on what your looking for. If you go that far with the build mite as well let him do what he does best.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Happyorange27

I've got those Dr. Vintage Wolf tones in my AO.  I think they are wonderful.  Feel free to listen to my videos or Soundclound material to brush up on some clips if you wish.  Heck I can make you a custom sound sample if you want.  You won't be disappointed with them if you choose that route.

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Quote from: IamWILSON on December 16, 2011, 12:03:40 PM
From my talking with AO, I think you should trust him on whatever he thinks will be best in your guitar.

You can never go wrong with that advice, but I'll throw my 2 cents in and say Shaller Golden 50's.  I love mine.  Love 'em love 'em love 'em.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

MomaDan

I was gonna make my own thread but I'll just post on this one. Im looking into Imperials or 57 Classics for my LP Studio. Any opinions?
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

jadirusso

I know from what I've found online that the Imperials sound REALLY good.. That said the Wolfetone Dr Vintage pickups sound really good also and that was our original plan so we're going to stick with it..
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

Happyorange27

Quote from: jadirusso on January 05, 2012, 07:46:58 AM
I know from what I've found online that the Imperials sound REALLY good.. That said the Wolfetone Dr Vintage pickups sound really good also and that was our original plan so we're going to stick with it..
Sweeeeet.  Welcome to the Dr. Vintage pickup club.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

Meh i thought they were too bassy. That tends to be the case with most pickups in a hollowbody guitar. I used to just turn out the bass on my amps, but I found that took away from the overall feel of my amp at the time. Perhaps get some handwound for your guitar based on its dimensions... Thats what I did.