Guitars you would never play live but would keep.

Started by Brian27, December 19, 2011, 07:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian27

Most of us know by now that most guitarist have alot more guitars at home or in the studio these days then what they have on tour with them so what guitar would you not take on tour with you but would use it in the studio. I got a Peavey Milestone 6 String that i would take on the road but a few i wouldnt dare take on the road just because they are worth being hung up on a wall or left in a case instead of getting those scars and dents from touring

picture_of_nectar

I would probly not take my Languedoc or my Artinger Hollowbodies on the road. I have trouble worrying about theft and dings at local clubs...
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

I have an SG Faded, a Dean Evo, and a Fender Tele (mexican) at home, but the only guitar I'll play out is my Resurrection Hollowbody.  I didn't pay that much to have it sitting at home in a case or on a wall.  It needs to be played live.  And to PON, I'd say screw that...that guitar was meant to be played out in front of people so they can enjoy it (as will you, playing it for them).  Theft is definitely something to worry about, but in the end if you ever leave your guitar to go take a leak or something you can always have somebody watch it for you.  As for dings, well, they're gonna happen.  It's a guitar. 
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

the_great_lemon

I completely agree Walker...Yes it is a work of art and you possibly paid thousands of dollars for it, but then why not just buy a painting or sculpture of a guitar if you're not going to play it where people will hear you (club or on tour in this case).  About the dings though, I've always thought that a guitar looks better with them to show the amount of time the owner has spent playing it and enjoying themselves with the instrument. If all you think about while you're playing is "oh I hope it doesn't get a scratch!" then how focused are you on your playing?  Just my 2 cents
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

picture_of_nectar

I play my nice guitars in rehearsal and at house parties where I know everybody. Someday will play the out more, but dunno that they will be appreciated at the local dive bars around hear anyway. But I get what you are saying.

the_great_lemon

Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper

picture_of_nectar

Happyorange27

What good is an amazing cock if you can't whip it out in public and get some jaws to drop! :P
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on December 20, 2011, 06:32:36 PM
I play my nice guitars in rehearsal and at house parties where I know everybody. Someday will play the out more, but dunno that they will be appreciated at the local dive bars around hear anyway. But I get what you are saying.

You'd be surprised man.  Phish has a long reach.  Not saying anything by this by any means, but when I play out I almost always have some random dude or chick come up to me (most of the time they aren't wookies, either) asking if it's a 'Doc or where I got it.  You gotta share that shit with the world mang!

And I am still ROTFLMAO @ Happy's last comment!   :D ;D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

raisingfreen

Quote from: Happyorange27 on December 21, 2011, 11:21:37 AM
What good is an amazing cock if you can't whip it out in public and get some jaws to drop! :P

Happy, I suggest you go first and report back. Your description may include words like "whipple".
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

I think you gotta bring the nice guitars out and play them!  Great cock analogy Happy.  I'ts like having a Ferrari and leaving it in the garage, and only driving it around the block on Sundays.  PoN, I think you should at least bring out one of your Artingers and see how it goes.  And in my own experience.  I've had guitars get dinged up in garages and practice rooms, and randomly around the house, but never on stage while at a gig. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

picture_of_nectar

I only have one Artinger. I have only owned it for two months and just don't feel totally comfortable with it yet to have it on stage. I rotate through 7 different guitars, I'm also not really experienced being on stage in front of people, so I just wanna play the ones that fit and feel like a glove. The Doc and Artinger are so flippin sensitive to fingering and pick attack tgat any minor mistakes are accentuated. Also, commanding the feedback on these axes at stage volumes take practice and confidence. I'm not worried about getting there eventually.

My Thorn solidbody guitars play better then anything I own. They are worlds easier, and sound nearly as good imho. My Black Limba Jr 90 through the 65 Princeton Reverb. Dude, tonal nirvana. I switched between a Thorn H/S/H SuperStrat that gives me tons of pickup combinations and tonal options and the Myka hollowbody last week because it's the most predictable and also the lightest. After 3 hours my back and shoulder start to hurt...guess I'm a wimp or somethin. Trust me if the hardest decision I have to make before a gig is which guitar to bring, life ain't all that bad.

the_great_lemon

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on December 21, 2011, 10:20:11 PM
Trust me if the hardest decision I have to make before a gig is which guitar to bring, life ain't all that bad.

Amen brother!

Walker done done

I agree that feeling confident is most important, so go with whatever guitar gets you there.

And regarding your sore back/shoulder....you're not a wimp, you're just gettin' old mang!  Trust me, I know what ya mean!  I was at Home Depot a couple of weeks back looking at fatigue mats that I could put under my feet so they don't hurt so much during/after gigs!

Loop 3 Boomerang+