Micing technique like Trey

Started by Happyorange27, December 29, 2011, 08:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

I saw you had a TB mod on the TS9 - do you find it is harder to stomp? I am considering doing that on one or both of mine and deciding between adding a footswitch or the Jack Deville Click-Less TB mod. Mostly I want it to be easy to turn on and off when I am playing blues and kickin the TS pretty often.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

It's pretty easy but takes more effort than stock. Probably easier to hit repeatidly.  I think I'll skip it in the future since its not necessary (TB). No complaints though.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I notice the buffer when I am not using the TS9's and I don't only play Jam. My Fromel Shape has a good buffer and helps get back to the original tone and volume, but I prefer less circuitry when possible between my guitar and amp.

Just kinda thinking about it for the future - my next upgrades will be better patch cables, TB and possibly 12v on the first TS. This all comes after I recover financially from buying a new guitar.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

the_great_lemon

Instead of modding the TSs additionally, consider getting a basic (2-3 loops) true bypass looper from loopmaster.com  They're pretty cheap and I haven't heard a bad thing about them. Check 'em out! 

I'm considering getting a 3 or 4 loop switcher to have my modulation and time based effects routed through, but keeping the ODs and Wah out of it to get the best of both worlds in that I wont have tons and tons of cables in use all the time and it's cheaper than getting a switcher for my whole board!  8)

edit: http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=107  something like that where you could have your two ODs TBed along with your tuner being completely out of the chain unless you need it
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, its a good idea, I have thought about it and talked with (what's his name from...) loopmaster. If it is cheaper and I have room on my board, I might consider it, though I prefer not to have extra stuff on my board and I would definitely want it passive as I am maxed on my power supply.

Not worried about my wet effects for now as they go to PA speakers, but if I can bring those along, that could be helpful as well.

Another future project - I really wanted to get a small unit with two send/receive loops to put my TS9's in parallel with a Fuzz (Skreddy Lunar Module). I think that would sound pretty wild. I was gonna hit up loopmaster or T1M on that one.

ShockedAndPersuaded

HappyOrange you've got some sweet ass tones coming from that rig. Very nice man. Very nice.
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

Happyorange27

Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on February 05, 2012, 07:38:43 PM
HappyOrange you've got some sweet ass tones coming from that rig. Very nice man. Very nice.
Thanks Shocked! :)
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

ShockedAndPersuaded

How's that comp? I've been eyeballing a cmat deluxe comp for a while now. Had an AnalogMan comprosser and never cared for the way it rolled off the high end. Your recordings don't sound like it rolls the highs off much but I know you've done the sparkle mod on your BJr. Thoughts?
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

Happyorange27

I love this comp. Very transparent but you get all of the goodness of that compression performance. I lucked out at $60 on eBay for this old 2 knob. I got Mike Shubin to buy a Cmat and he loves it. Get one. Sell if you don't like but you will like:)

I didn't notice any EQ changes.