1971 Fender Twin Reverb for sale?

Started by IamWILSON, January 16, 2012, 10:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

silverface, no master knob, and non-original speakers.

Is it worth $550
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

picture_of_nectar

fuck yeah it is.

You can always have it modded to blackface specs.

I have a '70 Vibrolux and it's incredible, I paid $1,200

Big question is if you really want a Twin or not. at 80 watts they get really damn loud. If you are looking for tube distortion most argue they unusable in a club setting. Then again a lot of people love the cleans of the Twin even at a low volume, and if you use pedals for distortion it's kind of a non-issue. Then there is the weight, lot of people whine about their backs...
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

IamWILSON

Here's a copy/paste of the ad:
This is one of the more-desirable non-master silverface Twins. In well-used, but good functional condition. Just recently had complete tuneup with new power tubes, re-bias, and filter caps changed (about $150 in parts). Speakers are one JBL K120 and one vintage Oxford. Actually a very cool sounding pair. Reverb & tremolo sound great too. YEAH it's loud and weighs a ton. It's an old Twin :-) I have some non-original casters if you want them --- I always use a little cart to move the thing around. No footswitch or tilt-legs.

Price is pretty firm at $550. It's just too much amp for me! No trades please - raising $ for another project.

Just sent a msg to find out what tubes he put it, and if the reverb and tremolo are original parts.  Does that even matter?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

IamWILSON

"Big question is if you really want a Twin or not. at 80 watts they get really damn loud. If you are looking for tube distortion most argue they unusable in a club setting. Then again a lot of people love the cleans of the Twin even at a low volume, and if you use pedals for distortion it's kind of a non-issue. Then there is the weight, lot of people whine about their backs."

Forgot to address this.  I have on original ts808 and ts9 that I'm using for overdrive so I don't really need to worry about pushing the tubes so loudly, and as far as weight, I recently got a steal on a Mesa Boogie MkIII bluestripe for $700, and it was in excellent condition and included the footswitches, and is simulclass.  I really love it!  The tone is great at loud and turned down volumes.  I am happy with the amp, but at the same time figure, why not try this thing out? 

What does it take to convert to blackface specs?  And if I am not capable of doing the work myself, about how much would that cost?

picture_of_nectar

Pretty sure they replace some of the capacitors with different values. I'm not an expert on it. Probly a couple hundred max.

This site has some great info:
http://fenderguru.com/amps/twin-reverb

Tubes can make a big difference, if it has old tubes in it then that price is a steal.

manicstarseed

any working Twin at $550 is worth it.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

IamWILSON

I was supposed to look at it today, but got stuck at my internship too long and was just wiped out after that.  I can check it out in the next couple days, but at the same time I feel like I'm gonna have a hard time pulling the trigger.  I keep getting caught up on the fact that it does look heavily used and it's 40 years old, so what kind of things will happen  that will cost me more money down the line.  And especially when I started realizing its gonna be even heavier than my Mesa Boogie I don't know if I want to deal with moving a 100 lb amp.  Sh*t, I'm kinda sounding like a pussy now!

picture_of_nectar

Nah I don't blame you, if you go on some forums like The Gear Page, you'll see that 8/10 people echo those concerns.

The fact abOut the twin is that they might produce the best fender clean tones, but they are just mire power then most small venues require or can handle, and are heavier then most want to deal with. Casters can help but if you have to do any stairs you ate screwed.

My Twin reissue is split into a head and 4x12 cab, which makes it more manageable weight wise. Still I rarely get to use it with my band. Someday I might find an old blackface chassis to pop in there....

webephishin

Sooo, i have a '73 twin reverb silverface that i'm planning on selling...is $700 too much to ask?  I got the reverb/vibrato pedal rewired and also the power plug terminal replaced.  It's 100% functional and in pretty good condition as far as cosmetics...a guy offered me $600, but i would like to get like $650....what do you guys think?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

sour d

Quote from: webephishin on November 01, 2012, 08:26:53 PM
Sooo, i have a '73 twin reverb silverface that i'm planning on selling...is $700 too much to ask?  I got the reverb/vibrato pedal rewired and also the power plug terminal replaced.  It's 100% functional and in pretty good condition as far as cosmetics...a guy offered me $600, but i would like to get like $650....what do you guys think?
I don't think $700 is too much to ask. That's a lot of amp for the money. I have seen them go for $850 or more.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

ColForbin

webephishin, that is exactly what I bought mine back for, it's also a '73.  You could probably ask for a bit more, just to allow for haggle room.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

webephishin

well, i just put a Fender Deville 410 on layaway at the guitar store...i played on the deville 212 and it sounded awesome, so i was originally gonna scoop that one up.  But then i saw a 410 that looked like it was taken much better care of, plus it comes with a fender amp cover...on top of that it was only 30$ more than than the 212! so i got the 410- the staff told me the 410 will naturally be a little more bassy because its pushing out more air with 4 speakers compared to the 212, but they had good things to say about both. I agreed on $630 for my twin to another guy who's picking it up on monday. 

Thoughts/comments on the 410? The thing looks brand new!
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Happyorange27

Haven't actually played a Deville but people are always dumping them on Craigslist so I don't think they are coveted, but hey if it sounds good and you got a deal, SWEET!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

raisingfreen

Quote from: IamWILSON on January 16, 2012, 10:37:40 PM
Is it worth $550

Considering it has a JBL K120, earlier year amp, (assuming its in pretty good condition). I would say its easily worth it. Even if you just made it into a head it would be worth it. The JBL alone is worth $150 or more depending on condition. AO has a twin he had modified that I hear is pretty killer. Each channel has a unique voicing according to the amp tech that did it. Sell the JBL and make it a head now you have a twin that costs roughly $400. Better yet talk him down to $500 even cash and you can always recoup your money.

Saw a jazz band last night with stand up bass, drums and a guy playing a non master twin reverb and nothing else. Sounded great with Vol on 2.5 or so and filled the whole room easily.

Your boogie sounds sweet though, so on the other hand if you don't need it just tell your friends and let them grab it.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux