Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Here's some pics of my current gear:

Gibson SG

Dean Evo

Fender Tele (mexican)

Ovation Acoustic

Fender HotRod Delux

Pedal Board: Visual Sound H20 Liquid Chorus & Echo, Boss DD6, Boss Chromatic Tuner, MXR Dyna-Comp, Analogman Silver TS9, Analogman Silver TS808, Vox Wah, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Mu-Tron III (coming soon: Hard Truckers Y-Box & Analogman BicompROSSer)

Yamaha Monitors (4)

Peavey PR15 Speakers (2)

Peavey XR696 8-channel PA

Mackie 1604VLZ Pro 16-track Mixer

Zoom MRS1266 Digital Recording Studio

Sennheiser e835 Microphone

Maestro Q-light
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Stiles12

do you like that HAZ mutron III +, supposidly it sounds pretty good but i dont know if i want to take a chance with that pedal, or move in the direction of like a chunk 00funk or a discumbobulator, maybe even a Q tron. how funky and how clean can you get that mutron III +
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

Quote from: \"Stiles12\"do you like that HAZ mutron III +, supposidly it sounds pretty good but i dont know if i want to take a chance with that pedal, or move in the direction of like a chunk 00funk or a discumbobulator, maybe even a Q tron. how funky and how clean can you get that mutron III +

Love it.  Very funky, and can get extrememly clean if you want it to be.  With it, I mostly go for the Estimated Prophet/Shakedown Street auto-wah feel, very swampy & thick, but it depends on the mood.  Defintely gives you that Garcia sound, if that's what you're looking for (he used one of the original Mu-Trons in his chain).  Very durable, well-built pedal.  I'd highly recommend it.

I've also talked to some folks who have given good reviews to the discumbobulator, too, but I have yet to try it.  I've heard mixed reviews regarding the Q, but again, haven't tried it myself.

Either way, make sure you put the pedal in the front of your chain where you can maximize it's potential.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Stiles12

do you do alot of twisting and turning with the levels or would it be just as effective to loop it into my gcx ground control pro and just switch it on using my midi device. becuase I could true bypass it that way also i could put it close to first in my chain. or is it smarter to have it one the floor and just run signal through it constantly?

my signal goes like this now:
VP>rmc>ts9>keeley comp>ts9>digitech whammy II>GSX> (with in the gcx is an M-one , KOT, ross, black cat rack, super trem, dm 2000, lexicon reverb)>Boomerang> 65 deluxes

and it sounds really sick but i still dont get as funky a sound i want and i dont want to get beat on buying an orginal mu-tron III by musitronics from ebay cuase none of that shit works, i mean why else would they sell a pedal like that.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

I hear ya.  PS - I have the newer version, not the old.  Mine is the Mu-Tron III+.

I don't do a lot of twisting & turning of the knobs at all, really.  Once I dial it in, like I have it now, I just leave it there until I find that I am looking for something else.  In fact, at our show last weekend was the first time I've messed with it in a couple of months.  For some reason I was just looking for a \"squishier\" sound and fooled around w/ it for a second to get it and then set it for good.  It does have a lot of different combinations to use: 4 different modes (High-pass, band-pass, low-pass or notch filter), Range (high/low), Drive (up/down), the Peak knob, and the Gain Knob.  If I remember correctly, currently my Peak is set at 4, the Gain at 3, Range is on low, Drive is on up, and the mode is set to BP.  Think Garcia on a fat Estimated in '77.  A real swampy vowel sound.

There's a ton of info on the specs of the pedal itself if you type in mutron III on Google or whatever.

I have mine on the floor at the beginning of my chain, which is where I've always heard and been advised that's where an envelope should go, fwiw.  The only thing that I've been thinking of doing for/with it is getting a Keeley Japanese Apartment pedal (isolating the MUIII) and a booster just for it because I seem to be losing some volume when I turn it on.  Come to think of it, it doesn't happen all the time, so it could jut be the venue/practice space we are playing at.  But it happens enough that it's got me thinking.  Hmmm.....Anyways, if you're like me and do the \"set it and forget it\" method, you could loop it right in with your GSX and leave it alone (which I believe what Jerry did as well).  I do have it on the floor for instances like our last gig so I can tweak it if need be, but you could still do that with the way you are talking about, I assume.

Also, it does have a bypass foot switch.  It also has DIP-SWITCHES (internal), which permit you to customize the it to highlight your instrument and playing style. Two switches tailor the high and low frequency ranges. Three switches control the way the MUIII follows the dynamics of your instrument. The last switch allows the Low battery L.E.D. to double as a sweep limit indicator.  I haven't messed with this yet, though after re-reading this off the site I copied it from, I may now. :)

Question for ya: why do yo have the TS's seperated by the Keeley compressor?  I'm sure there's a reason for it but I've never thought about doing that with mine (I have an MXR dynacomp...soon to be the Analogman bycompROSSer).  Just wonderin'. :?

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Stiles12

first just to say the keeley comp is awesome. They took the good parts from the orginal ross and the good parts from the original mxr dynacomp and combine them. I have played through the bicomp and it is nothing short of amazing(longer harder sustain than the keeley, perfect ofr your trey esk sound), the issue i find with it is that it is noisy (like most compressors) but the keeley is real quiet. I like the ross side of the bicomp 100% better than the orange squeez side. but again that is just personal preference. also a great thing about the keeley comp is you get it in 10 days, not 6 months like the bicomp. (dont get me wrong I love analogman, I have ordered so many things from them like that rackmount black cat with the CV jack, the KOT, my ts9's, but 6 months is alot to wait for a compressor, escpecially when you need one)

but to answer your question I split up the ts9 and inserted the compressor in between becuase it is the best way for me to get the sound I want. Im sure as you do the same, I love the cleanest sound I can get when all my effects are bypassed. by putting the comp in between the two ts9's i found that i can put my rythm sounding ts9 on with it being much more clean than being later in the chain. also when i do step up and flip the compressor and second ts9 on it drives the the part I am trying to drive much better and the sustain is sustain that i want. I suggest giving it a try with your bicomp. I know thats not how trey did it when he used to have the orginal ross and then the bicomp later in his career but the sound I am getting from these three pedals are amazing.  i used to have my pedals in the exact chain of treys but i found by fliping the compressor to where it is it sounds alot better on some of the non phish stuff that i am doing.
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

Hmmmm.....well now you've got me thinking.  BTW, it hasn't been 6 months....it's been almost a year (11 months, actually).  And I agree: I love Analogman's stuff, but 11 months is a bit ridiculous.  

Do you have any recordings of yourself using the Keeley comp (myspace/website/etc.)?  Would love to hear it if you do.  I think Keeley may have audio stuff on his website, so I'll check there too.

And again, I've heard really good things about the EMMA discumbobulator, though haven't played one myself.  A good friend of mine visits this store over in Falmouth (just outside of Portland) called Music Toys, and the guys got some sweeeeeeet stuff you check out online.  Pretty vast aray of goods there.  Here's what they have to say about the EMMA: http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/emma.php

Shit, I gotta go, I got a closing to do!

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Stiles12

yeah man, im sure i could pull some differnt things out of the jams we have and send them to you,

you ever use an M-one Xl? I just got one like three weeks ago, patched it through my ground control custom audio switcher. not going to lie sounds really good. a little noisy but my ISO cleans that up. i suggest taking a look into it if your trying to get that jimmi herring micheal kang esk sound. real strong reverbs and delays, mixes well with the other trey effects i have, real happy with the buy
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

Sweet, thanks.

And no, never heard of the M1XL...can you post a pic of it?  Hey, you should just post pics of your gear - show us what you got!

I do like the Kang sound, esp. ca. 2000-2004ish....very nice and he honed it in well during that span.

Unfortunately for me my musical funds are going to be drained w/ the purchase of the hollowbody, Bi-compROSSer, and the stuff I just got from Hard Truckers.  Next on my list is a new amp, though not sure what I'm getting yet, still looking around.  I'd really like to get a nice silverface w/ a speaker cab (HT JG1 maybe???  :D )

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Stiles12

I def will whenever i get the oportunity too, what do you do just post the pics on this forum like you did before?

but i guess i could say that sometimes i like the kang sound. sometimes i dont. all solo that he pulls out are real good but the sound is usually the same, same few effects and never really fucks with it minus the wah and delay that he kicks on. the sound i do like is herrings, so strong not really alot of effects but really clean and full. I watched him on jamcam with the codetalkers not to long ago (on jerrys birthday) and was blown away with the little amount of things that he uses to make that rig sound so sick. he has a hughes and ketterner floor style boost an m-one and he uses the prs archtop hollow which sounds real good, you should check it out

http://www.jamcamdvd.com/video.asp
SPL Transducer

Stiles12

by the way that Jg1 is so sick one day i will go out and drop g's on one of them. maybe a tom bruno though, they sound sick too and are a little cheaper for what i need.
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

Quote from: \"Stiles12\"I def will whenever i get the oportunity too, what do you do just post the pics on this forum like you did before?

but i guess i could say that sometimes i like the kang sound. sometimes i dont. all solo that he pulls out are real good but the sound is usually the same, same few effects and never really fucks with it minus the wah and delay that he kicks on. the sound i do like is herrings, so strong not really alot of effects but really clean and full. I watched him on jamcam with the codetalkers not to long ago (on jerrys birthday) and was blown away with the little amount of things that he uses to make that rig sound so sick. he has a hughes and ketterner floor style boost an m-one and he uses the prs archtop hollow which sounds real good, you should check it out

http://www.jamcamdvd.com/video.asp
Speaking of Jimmy, I caught the last 2 shows last weekend of the tour. We had 12thr ow seats the first night and 20th the 2nd. This tour Jimmy started using a JH through his 4x12 marshall cab. After the 3rd song the first night JH went out in the middle of the song. He called his tech over to tell him. They brought out his fender amps and plugged up to the HT cabs the entire time the band just kept jamming. Having the opportunity to hear both rigs in the same song, my vote goes to the fender and ht cabs...

Here are a few pics i took...

Friday before amp blew

Caught Outformation after Panic Friday night. This is the only pic I got

Here are Saturday pics

All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

thats sick does anyone know (considering it is just you and i talking on this whole thing) do you know what the third rackmount he is using, i know the top is a furman of some sort, then a DTR 2, then ?, then a m-one XL, then a D-two, both made by tc electronics. looks like some sort of a prosessor. intrested to know
SPL Transducer

Stiles12

also those ht cabs look sick with the cover on them, I honestly havent been a fan of the trippy cover like bob wier would use but those look sick mic'd with two pencil condenssors, looks sick
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

Quote from: \"Stiles12\"thats sick does anyone know (considering it is just you and i talking on this whole thing) do you know what the third rackmount he is using, i know the top is a furman of some sort, then a DTR 2, then ?, then a m-one XL, then a D-two, both made by tc electronics. looks like some sort of a prosessor. intrested to know
I'm not excatly sure what that is. I will ask Glenn over at Hard Truckers. Glenn has been Jimmy's gatair tech for a few ARU shows. I should know something by tonight.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org