Pickup wiring schematic for series parallel and coil tap

Started by Heady Jam Fan, February 04, 2012, 01:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MomaDan

Quote from: Poster on March 08, 2012, 10:02:22 PM
Quote from: MomaDan on March 08, 2012, 09:38:55 PM
If it worked for Jimmy Page I think it will work for me. In the end cost was the deciding factor, pull pots didnt cost any extra cause I was gonna upgrade the volume pots to 500K anyways. The pop isnt a dealbreaker for me, I'm using a DL4 with the hated stock switches after all.

well by that line of reasoning, go shoot 200 in smack, and kick your cabinet over. :0) kidding! sort of. I have just about every single Zep bootleg thats in circulation, and ole Jimmy has some of the noisiest gear in rock n roll history, and if your going for gods of rock, its fine. But for loud cleans, jazz, funk, etc it just doesnt cut it.

I have no idea what this has to do with my post.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Poster

well loud cleans kinda demand some quick slight of hand, and no toggle noise is all i meant.

IamWILSON

Quote from: Poster on March 08, 2012, 08:37:26 PM
thats too bad, pull pots pop, and are completely impractical unless your hiding behind a couple other guitar players. well placed mini toggles can be turned on with hesitation. I found the wolftones to be too bassy for a hollowbody, perhaps theyll sound better in a lp studio. And that guitar isnt worth much, id be drilling holes in it like a dutch prostitute. 

my. pull. pots. don't. POP!

Maybe you've had some experience with some shitty pots that I would never fathom using?  just. turn. my. nose. at. it.  I'm better than that!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Walker done done

I also have pull pots on a Dean Evo that I bought years back (thing weighs a ton) and those pull pots do NOT pop.  They're pretty great, actually.  But what do I know.  ???
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

sour d

I have an old squier '51 that just sits in a gig bag. I remembered it when you guys started talking about push pull pots. It came from the factory with a push pull pot for splitting the bridge humbucker. I had to plug it in this morning just to check if the pot made any pop and thank god, no pop. Must be because squier guitars only use the best components.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Poster

did you have any line driving effects engaged? like say an overdive? did it make a sound when you put it back to non coil tapped, or full humbucker?

sour d

Quote from: Poster on March 09, 2012, 12:04:55 PM
did you have any line driving effects engaged? like say an overdive? did it make a sound when you put it back to non coil tapped, or full humbucker?
Hey poster, Can we get some pics of your latest guitar? Any links to some of your latest recordings?
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Heady Jam Fan

I have had all sorts of effects when using my push pulls: TS, Timmy, Pinnacle, Skreddy Fuzz... I never had any extra noise/popping.

Could be the pots you were using were old/scratchy or had a problem with grounding.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

IamWILSON

I would love if Poster posted some recordings of his amazing tone and mad guitar skills, as well as some pictures of his "my guitar is better than your guitar," guitar!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Poster

yeah no, i really dont give a shit what you guys think! well except for a couple of you, and you guys already have access to that info. peace!

but yeah, very well could have been a bad pot, or rather, a few bad pots! I only speak from my experience, mini toggles seem more reliable to me. Glad to hear everybody is so thrilled with their push pulls. Not hating, honestly, just didnt work for me.

as for my guitar, i never said it was better than anybodies, or any other guitar, but it works for me. I only have 2 guitars now, 1 electric and 1 acoustic. Iam just happy I can make the sounds I want to make. The AO was a great guitar, but I dont like to settle. I constantly turn over amps, pickups, pedals, cables, etc. And no I dont really lose my ass on the sales, I only want to improve in reliability, tone, etc. And again, what my opinion is regarding what I think is good tone, or reliable, changes all the time.

go on tour playing some pop music, get on the road, get sorta happy with what your making, and if you happen to be surviving from that income, great. otherwise, everybody is a weekend warrior. and thats cool too, but I think there is certainly a wide gap between the two. haul your shit around, kick it with a boot, pour a beer on it, do three sets in NOLA in august, I dunno, its different for everybody, go watch airheads, at the end of the day its all about you anyway, you egomaniacal fuckers.