Boogie 50 Cal+ Head (looks just like a Mark III etc)

Started by raisingfreen, March 06, 2012, 09:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

Anyone have or tried this amp? I just casually plugged into one the other day going into a cheap smaller Marshall 4x12 and the clean tone on this amp was the best clean I have heard. It could be that everything can sound really good clean through a 4x12 however. But it just had something to it and this was with the inverted V eq (similar to the trey pics we have all seen) set and ON. The drive or lead channel on this was clearly for some heavy Corrosion of Conformity type sounds but the clean was just straight up perfect. The amp was really tight and reacted well. Also the best reverb I have heard on an amp as well outside of some old vintage Deluxe Reverb or Ampeg. It just worked like it should. Not overly metallic etc...

In any case I am fighting the GAS to grab this thing. The store is asking $649 for the head and its mint (with 6L6s) not el84s like most. Also its lighter than every other boogie head I have seen. Most Boogie heads and combos are like lifting solid iron. I think they are going for less than that maybe more like $500-$600 on ebay etc...But then there's shipping costs.

I need an excuse to have AO build me a new cab anyway. Just curious what other 30-50watt amps can do a really tight clean 3d like sound like a boogie? (not fender as I have a love/hate with those). I would like a new amp specifically for my AO HollowRim Guitar. I have tried a few but nothing has caught my attention that was under a grand used. I use little effects mostly modulation and lots of clean, just not twin reverb loud. So far I use it with a Groove Tubes Soul-O 30. It's really good, almost perfect but....
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

MomaDan

I use an AC15 and it has great cleans. Look at an AC30 if you want a combo. They throw out a very loud 30 watts
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

the_great_lemon

If you shelled out the big bucks on an AO, why not give the same treatment to an amp? You probably wont get the most out of that beautiful guitar with an amp that is not comparable. Just a thought....

And I agree on the AC30 suggestion.  Super loud and clean, and great platform for pedals.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

raisingfreen

Quote from: the_great_lemon on March 06, 2012, 10:38:26 PM
If you shelled out the big bucks on an AO, why not give the same treatment to an amp?

You are correct and I agree.
Sometimes however a really good amp doesn't necessarily have to cost big bucks...used anyway (BTW...Up hera in Maine big bucks means various different things). I shelled out semi-big bucks on a Groove Tubes Soul-O 30 thinking along the same lines. Great amp and works well with the AO. I just want to try something else. Have never tried a real AC30. Thanks for the suggestion as that is a good one.

In comparison I spose a Lanquedoc is 10K and a Mark III is about 1K maybe? Maybe Paul L. is thinking "you cheap bastard... at least play it through a 20K Dumble"

ShockedAndPersuaded

I would maybe suggest checking out The Boogie Board. Lots of great threads on all Boogies. As far as the amp cost versus guitar you also have to consider that Reds amp is probably not stock. God only knows what kind of wizardry has been done not to mention the millions of dollars worth of P.A. gear he's being pumped through. If the Boogie tone is what you want then curb the gas and save a few extra coins and buy what Trey is using. You might find the 50cal. lacking something a few months from now and end up selling it and starting all over. I'm not trying to be Negative Ned here. Just playing devils advocate.
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

IamWILSON

I agree with Shocked.  I was patient in finding a MkIII, and after passing up one good deal and closely considering a couple others I ended up getting a blue stripe combo with EQ, reverb, and simulclass for $700.  Included the cover and 2 of the switching pedals too; and in excellent condition and all original, except the tubes. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

raisingfreen

Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on March 06, 2012, 11:20:45 PM
curb the gas and save a few extra coins and buy what Trey is using. You might find the 50cal. lacking something a few months from now and end up selling it and starting all over.

Another great point. I'm pretty sure I will not ever need or use what a Mark III can do. That is some serious power. I just want a clean tone that is tight and articulated like the Boogies seem to have. I have tried some of the Boogie combos Mark IIIs, IIs, Son of, etc... To me they sound better through a cab of some sort hense why I am leaning towards the lower power 50 Cal+ version head. I don't find it lacking at all as I would only use the cleans and build on that via a few pedals. I'm done chasing Reds tone to some degree as I have found my style to be just a very clean warm amp and in this case the boogie clean just happens to be something that caught my attention. I like having a few different smaller amps around that do different sounds. Just don't have a lively clean sound one yet. I really wish I could try one of the SMS Rack Preamps with a decent power amp into a small 1x12 portable cab. That seems like a nice simple rig.

Check out this rig from Paul Kogut. I like this rig a lot but would dirty it up occasionally with some overdrive and modulation. This guy looks so into it that I had to go sqeeze one out after watching this. Respectively..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYueQKxUULI&list=UUDBdEWKqQ3TjqmC-bJ7g2DQ&index=19&feature=plcp

manicstarseed

Its a 2 channel amp, I think.

If the tone is right and the price is good for you, get it. I doubt you will be dissapointed.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

MomaDan

LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Poster

Quote from: raisingfreen on March 07, 2012, 10:52:52 AM
Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on March 06, 2012, 11:20:45 PM
curb the gas and save a few extra coins and buy what Trey is using. You might find the 50cal. lacking something a few months from now and end up selling it and starting all over.

Another great point. I'm pretty sure I will not ever need or use what a Mark III can do. That is some serious power. I just want a clean tone that is tight and articulated like the Boogies seem to have. I have tried some of the Boogie combos Mark IIIs, IIs, Son of, etc... To me they sound better through a cab of some sort hense why I am leaning towards the lower power 50 Cal+ version head. I don't find it lacking at all as I would only use the cleans and build on that via a few pedals. I'm done chasing Reds tone to some degree as I have found my style to be just a very clean warm amp and in this case the boogie clean just happens to be something that caught my attention. I like having a few different smaller amps around that do different sounds. Just don't have a lively clean sound one yet. I really wish I could try one of the SMS Rack Preamps with a decent power amp into a small 1x12 portable cab. That seems like a nice simple rig.

Check out this rig from Paul Kogut. I like this rig a lot but would dirty it up occasionally with some overdrive and modulation. This guy looks so into it that I had to go sqeeze one out after watching this. Respectively..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYueQKxUULI&list=UUDBdEWKqQ3TjqmC-bJ7g2DQ&index=19&feature=plcp

you could nail that guys tone with a digital fender practice amp. the only complex cleans come from higher wattage tube amps. Ala gilmour, kimock, charlie hunter etc.

raisingfreen

Quote from: Poster on March 07, 2012, 03:22:32 PM
the only complex cleans come from higher wattage tube amps. Ala gilmour, kimock, charlie hunter etc.

I was hoping you would chime in with a little something Poster. Good to hear from you. Complex clean tones are exactly what I am after. Maybe complex is the wrong word, but more dimensional possibly. Junta album comes to mind. Charlie Hunter for sure. I think he uses a Princeton Reverb Clone as well as a Prosonic or something. Kimock clean tones could get a little pricey. You see the signature Two-Rock amp he has now? Crazy prices.... In any case Treys clean tone as always been a favorite. Listening to the Coral Sky DVD you can hear that CAE pre and Groove Tubes power or whatever and its just amazing. Event the Great Went Clean tones were amazing.

In any case, The amp I'm looking at is overpriced apparently at $649 for the head. I have been looking and finding them as low as $475-$550. Most of the used online stores are asking $700 and up. Used Boogie prices seem to be all over the place depending on demand or popularity.

Boogies are just sorta new to me. I'm sure I'll get over my recent obsession and go back to my 12 watt roots.

raisingfreen

BTW, Poster what equipment are you using these days? Any new developments in your rig?

the_great_lemon

Quote from: raisingfreen on March 07, 2012, 07:38:27 PM
BTW, Poster what equipment are you using these days? Any new developments in your rig?

Yes yes, please share!!!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

ShockedAndPersuaded

I've never heard a better clean channel than my TDS. It is all those cliches and then some. I know it's expensive but the Clean Machine from Fuchs just might be your ultimate clean. Definitely a madman contender. You'll know where that extra money went.
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

raisingfreen

Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on March 08, 2012, 12:12:58 AM
Clean Machine from Fuchs just might be your ultimate clean.

Well I asked for a suggestion and got one. This is a good choice. Never even heard of this. Thanks! I sorta wish you hadn't suggested this...really. It is tax return season however. May have to sell something to make this a realistic option. This would seem to be an amp worthy of an AO. I have a silverface modified champ that is absolutely worthy as well but that just for the office.

Any chance they have suffered a reduced price in the resale market? I wouldn't even know of a store locally to try one of these.