Practice Routine

Started by jgibb, April 22, 2012, 11:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabomb

The original poster said he understands basic theory. My point is that you can pull off great sounding solos with the theory he already said he knows. If he can't, more complex theory might not be the answer.

comprendo?

the_great_lemon

I find that learning a few solos you truly love note for note (or close to) is a really good way to start developing licks that you like.  If you like Gilmour 'Time' is legendary in its phrasing and tone.  Pretty much any Jimmy Page solo is a good place to start as well.  Best of luck!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

dabomb

Gilmour illustrates my point perfectly. His solos are not steeped in advanced theory at all. Phrasing, bending, vibrato, tone, and good taste.

fulltone1989

All I'm saying is without theory all that bending, vibrato, and whatnot is useless because one wouldn't know what to do with it.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

picture_of_nectar

I don't know that being knowledgable on theory is essential to soloing. i would say a good ear is more important.

Soloing first requires the ability to hear a melody within your head...then translate that through the guitar. Having a good ear for intervals can be just as important as knowing all the scales...

Also, you could be totally proficient in theory and modes and scales and be able to mechanically recreate complex solos. But improvising with a band comes from the heart.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

dabomb

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on May 04, 2012, 04:59:18 PM
All I'm saying is without theory all that bending, vibrato, and whatnot is useless because one wouldn't know what to do with it.

His original post states that he already knows the major scale and minor pentatonic, but feels he sounds mediocre. I am not saying bending and vibrato before anything else.

fulltone1989

Quote from: dabomb on May 04, 2012, 06:02:55 PM
Quote from: tomasmaclennan on May 04, 2012, 04:59:18 PM

His original post states that he already knows the major scale and minor pentatonic, but feels he sounds mediocre. I am not saying bending and vibrato before anything else.

Okay that's what it sounded like to me. I agree then with getting comfortable improvising before learning new tricks etc. Sorry 'bout initiating a peeing contest of sorts :)

To the OP, have you considered picking up a cheap looper pedal to lay down a jazz standard on and then soloing over?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.