Black Ross

Started by raisingfreen, May 02, 2012, 10:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

For what its worth I recently purchased a Black Ross Comp that was a bit beat up (mostly paint chips etc...). eBay $165 private sale. I sent it to Analogman for a check up as it was not functioning just right. It had a dead transistor, $25 repair. I had him add a $10 standard 9v power jack (in place of mini plug that was there), $10 LED and $50 bypass switch. I did not have him mod it to true grey Ross specs as I didn't care. So thats $260 total... to me it sounds 100 percent better than the first Grey Ross I had a few years back. It's really quiet, transparent, and I dial it in at 9 oclock sustain, 12 oclock on the output. Just perfect.

Additionally, There was a little trim pot on the inside that is supposed to be set at noon. I turned it the smallest possible amount to the left (just to see) and it made a huge difference. Sounded way better with its own isolated power supply as well (no chains). I have been doing that for everything lately and noise is gone.

The Ross sounds pretty good all the way up too. But all the way up on the Ross reminds me of 1/2–3/4 up on a Keeley for instance. I love the two knob Keeley's a lot. But a properly functioning Ross is a wonderful thing. It is worth the hype if the moneys right.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

ColForbin

Nice man, I'm glad that worked out for you.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb