Favorite amp for Jam

Started by Heady Jam Fan, May 22, 2012, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite amp when going for a Trey-type jam tone?

Deluxe Reverb
2 (22.2%)
MKIII Red Stripe
2 (22.2%)
Other Fender (explain)
1 (11.1%)
Other Mesa (explain)
1 (11.1%)
Something Else (explain)
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

IamWILSON

Heady, I've currently got my mkIII dialed in for my strats instead of my hollowbody guitar, but I'll tell you where my knobs are set anyway.  And there wasn't very much knob turning when I switched from the hollowbody humbucker gtr to the single coil strats.  Volume at 6, treble about 7, bass about 3, mid 4, master between 1 and 2 (this will really adjust the loudness of the amp and needs to be lower or you will go deaf), lead drive on 3, and lead master on 2.  To beef up single coils I pulled out the "pull shift" and "pull deep" knobs that correspond with the bass and master knobs.  If I was using my hollowbody/hb gtr those 2 knobs would be pushed in as they are basically there to fatten up single coil guitars.  Reverb and presence controls are in the back and hard for me to get at so just season them to taste.  Definitely tweak and try lots of different settings, but I think you'll find that all these features on the boogie really do help you to dial in your tone.  And I will go on record to state that when it comes to amps and effects, I've always thought the less knobs the better, but this amp is the one exception.  I've never felt "lost" while dialing in my tone with it!  The volume knob is the one that if you tweak around 6 or 7 you will find the sweet spot and be able to switch between the rhythm 1 and 2 channels and be able to keep the volume balanced.  Lead channel has it's own master.  And it takes tubescreamers great so don't worry about bringing them to the store, but I think you should bring your Artinger.  Also, if it has the GEQ, the EQ auto setting is the one where the GEQ only effects the lead channel, otherwise, EQ on is EQ always on and the middle setting is off.  Also, do you know if it is a simulclass amp or not?

And don't discriminate about which stripe they are, they are all great, and honestly the last ones (blue and green) have the benefit of the most updates and changes by Mesa to get the amp to where they believed it should be.  Check out this website as they have some good info about these amps:  http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Heady Jam Fan

Thanks Wilson! I really appreciate it, honestly.

The lower wattage is 60 (class A) right? I am kinda worried that might be too loud, lol. I have been opening up the PPIV (post phase inverter master volume) on my Bassman the whole way and running it with the volume at around 3 (still a little bit overdrive, not much headroom) and it is sooooo loud.

Either way, I plan on trekin to try that amp tomorrow, although I already have a buzz - family dinner for the holiday weekend, and I plan on walking to the bar now... I don't get to drink too often any more and if I am hung over, all I will do tomorrow is eat pierogies.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 25, 2012, 04:52:14 PM
Quote from: IamWILSON on May 25, 2012, 04:08:01 PM
Heady- do yourself a favor and check make the drive and check out the mkIII.  Unfortunately, being at gutiar center it is probably over priced though.  They are really great amps and you'll get tons of great classic rock tones from it.  I've read some negative things in the web about the mkIII being too hard to dial in, or that you can't balance all 3 channels to be able to use them in a live situation, but I didn't find it hard to dial in.  And as far as balancing the channels, you just need to find the sweet spot on the volume knob (around 6 or 7), then all 3 channels are great!  Also, I believe the GEQ on them is after the gain stages, so you can EQ in an extra midhump specifically for the lead channel.  And the amp does take pedals great!  Reverb sounds good, as the range of the knob is much more usable than any fender reverb knob I've touched.  The EVM speaker is great too, you'll find you can keep the bass very present and tight at a low setting w/o sacrificing any tone (unless you're just talking about the mkIII head).  IMO the mkIII does a better job at the vintage fender shimmering tones than most newer Fender amps, and rhythm channel 2 is not overly-Marshally, yet I was able to even dial in great tones for AC/DC or Led Zeppelin, even while using a s/s/s strat! 

Cool, I keep going back and forth about being excited to check out that amp and like "f'it, not worth the drive," but your reply makes me think an early Saturday venture might be worth it. It is listed for like $860 IIRC and in good condition, not sure what stripe (I suspect I would prefer red or purple). It is a combo 1x12, which I prefer over other options, with an EV speaker (though I will probably get an Alnico Blue Dog or something since I doubt my Red Fang could handle it). I figured I might have to try negotiating the price a bit, if I even consider buying it - I would have to be blown away and ready to sell my Bassman honestly because of finances. I figured $860 is probably not a bad price though...

I wouldn't be surprised if I liked the clean more than Reissue Fenders - I played a DRRI a couple months ago and felt it was bland, dull and lifeless. However, it might not touch my Bassman ;) An amp is always a balance between a pure, unadulterated clean channel, which I associated with minimal circuitry, and extra circuitry to maximum flexibility for the user. I just have to suspect all of the functions on a Mesa has to sacrifice some tone or feel, but I will have to try before judging!

I have heard about trouble balancing channels too. I am trying to make a guess how I will like the lead channel - as clean as I can get it or a bit of drive. I was thinking if it as more of an EQ change than a wild lead... I have to admit, I was wondering how Trey has his set since his lead still sounds like it is mostly distortion from the TS(s).

The worst part about testing gear is that I can't really get a feel unless I bring my gear, which means I will be showing up at GC with my Artinger and probably pedalboard (or at least both TS's, a comp and maybe a delay to try out the effect loop).

PS - another one, just a head in a rack setup, just came up at another store for $599, no other info on it so far...

A rack setup would be cool...

I decided to keep my Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I dig the tones I get out of mine but there are bad apples with every new, mass-produced amp.

I'm gonna be checking out a Fender 75 on Sunday and I'm looking forward to it! Hopefully it will solve my pedal platform GAS on a budget. Its got a line out and efx loop as well which is equally appealing. Crappy drive channel is crappy though.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, the deluxe is a cool amp, really in between as far as Fenders go. The one or two Deluxe RI's I tried I didn't like, but I was playing a stock strat from the shop, so who knows what I didn't like...

I know nothing about the 75, but I heard a while back that Fender responded to Mesa copying the Princeton with a Mesa-like amp, but I forget what it was.

I assume you have played a real Blackface... if not, it will blow you away (talking about the DRRI and 75).
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

IamWILSON

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 25, 2012, 10:08:49 PM
Thanks Wilson! I really appreciate it, honestly.

The lower wattage is 60 (class A) right? I am kinda worried that might be too loud, lol. I have been opening up the PPIV (post phase inverter master volume) on my Bassman the whole way and running it with the volume at around 3 (still a little bit overdrive, not much headroom) and it is sooooo loud.

Either way, I plan on trekin to try that amp tomorrow, although I already have a buzz - family dinner for the holiday weekend, and I plan on walking to the bar now... I don't get to drink too often any more and if I am hung over, all I will do tomorrow is eat pierogies.

Actually, the blue stripe in class A is only 15 watts, but in the manual, it explains that it is a much louder 15 watts than you hear from other amps.  When in simulclass, it's 75 watts.  And this info isn't off the web, that's straight from the Mesa MkIII manual.  Info I've found on the internet that is in line with what I just stated says that the green stripe is 25 watts in class A because pentode wiring instead of the triode wiring for the bluestripe allowed for more power.  And the older striped models then are 60/100.  So that, once again all depends on which stripe color the amp is, but like I said, don't let assumptions about the stripes get in the way of your opinion.  In fact, I think you should plug in and play and dial in some tone before you even decide to check and see which stripe color it has anyway.   
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 26, 2012, 01:03:10 AM
Yea, the deluxe is a cool amp, really in between as far as Fenders go. The one or two Deluxe RI's I tried I didn't like, but I was playing a stock strat from the shop, so who knows what I didn't like...

I know nothing about the 75, but I heard a while back that Fender responded to Mesa copying the Princeton with a Mesa-like amp, but I forget what it was.

I assume you have played a real Blackface... if not, it will blow you away (talking about the DRRI and 75).

I haven't played a BF in awhile but the shop near my school had a lot of SF's which got a good workout during my 4 years there.

Based on my research it was an Ed Jahn design created to directly compete with the 80's Mesa amps (Mark II?) It's 75 watss w/ a 15 watt low power. This particular specimen I found allegedly has new Sprague caps, filters, speaker, and power tubes.

At $450 it's not really a deal per-se but if it does what I think it will (great cleans in a compact platform) then I will be very happy with it, and I can keep my DRRI. The particularly interesting part about it is that theres a mid pull boost that I am interested in trying out.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

I checked out that MKIII this morning, it was a Red Stripe. I talked $50 off the price and brought it home.

I played it for about 45 min at the shop and I was nailing the tones I hear in my head... I have to decide if I wanna keep the EV speaker or switch to a Weber Blue Dog, although I don't know if an Alnico magnet will fit in it, plus the Blue Dog only goes to 100watts, while I think I will probably run the MK at 60watts (Class A) and rarely if ever with the volume up the whole way, I don't know if the Weber will work. The EVM 12L sounds pretty good, but I would like to get something more similar to the Celestion Blue if possible.

PS - I got to play some more and I love this amp! It was actually really easy to setup, especially once I figured out what all the controls are. The channels are really easy to get to sound good together with smooth switching. The 2nd channel (Marshall-esce) is actually pretty awesome for classic rock and blues and the lead channel is a bit thicker sounding than the other two. I like the lead channel set pretty clean (volume at 3 or so) for a fat, singing lead with a TS or two.

The EQ is pretty handy. I am not sure how Trey uses it, but considering he has the 'V' setting on his amp and he clearly uses a footswitch, I was thinking he might switch it in for more open, clean rhythm (less thick and midrangy). For example, if I have my volume rolled off for a clean tone with the lower gain TS, I get a thicker sound like David Bowie rather than something like Dirt or Waste. It is also my understanding Trey uses the neck pup for all his clean rhythm, so the V shaped EQ is really perfect for getting those brighter tones. However, I have been running it was the 2nd and 4th slider up just a bit which gives a little more fatness in the lower mids and a little more presence. I have the bass (1st slider) and Treble (5th slider) down just slightly from unity. I also have the deep switch pulled and the bass around 3, also the treble switch pulled and the treble at 6-7. Kinda funny - most knobs landed on the sweet spot Mesa suggests.

I think I am going to get a footswitch with 3 buttons: channel 1&2 toggle, EQ in and out, and solo (lead channel).

IamWILSON

Congratulations Heady!!!  Since I've owned mine I've only had GAS once to purchase another large amp I would gig with ('71 Fender twin) and it was fairly easy to talk myself out of it as I realized I've got all i need in my Mesa.  And yes, Mesa's suggested settings are great and only minimal tweaking is needed.  I'm not so sure about Trey using a switch for the EQ though as the front loaded jack is only for the rhythm/lead channel.  The rhythm1/2 and EQ/REV on/off swtiches load into the back of the amp, so I don't know if anyone has spotted any cables in the back of his Mesa head that would confirm this.  And his lead drive is turned rather low (like yours and mine are) so I think he just goes to that lead channel when he wants that extra mid hump while doing leads. 

Give the EV speaker some time; I like to think Mesa got the design right and put in the speaker that will best support their creation. 

And also check out the boogie board -http://forum.grailtone.com/ - lot's of good info in here from tons of users.  I'm sure there's many a thread about changing speakers and the results.

Heady Jam Fan

Thanks Wilson!

I read somewhere that someone noticed he had 3 chords going to the amp, and I have seen the front footswitch is plugged on his amp, so the third one would only makes sense to be another footswitch in the back - the loop would 2 more switches and I can't imagine he uses the direct out.

I thing the EV is a great speaker, I just know I will keep thinking I should at least try something more similar to the blue. I suppose if I have the volume low enough I could try running into my Red Fang and see if it is worth swapping speakers. I would agree that Mesa seems dedicated to top quality while most bands seem to skip corners (and require speaker changes, output tranny changes etc on a new amp for a decent tone). The speaker seems to really complement and blend with the amp.

One interesting thing - I always thought it would be interesting to run a comp in the effect loop, so I tried that out. It worked well and quietly, except it messed with the reverb - the reverb volume changed more drastically with gain - as I rolled my volume knob back, the reverb nearly disappeared, when my volume knob was fully up, it was much louder than with the comp off. The only explanation I can think of is that the reverb is before the loop circuitry, but that doesn't make any sense to me, it ought to be after... maybe I will check a schematic.

I am very impressed and pleased with this amp - I love my Fenders, but the benefits of this amp mean my Bassman his hitting the market. Its 67lbs if tone ;) and it is a small amp! And it gets super hot, at least in the class A setting.

ColForbin

Awesome news Heady, glad to hear you are thrilled with your amp.  I might have to try one of these Mesa's someday, but it would really have to be something to dethrone my Twin.  Cheers.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Heady Jam Fan

Thank Col.!

Its worth giving it one a try if a used one pops up. Although one reason it dethroned my Bassman is cuz a Bassman has little to no headroom, the twin has plenty.

The Mesa is super versatile though, it is ballsier than a Fender and should cut through more. The lead channel provides some really cool options too.

Off the subject:
Last night I decided to play around with my pickups; I rotated them so the screw coil is inside and tilted them so the screw coil was slightly closer to the string than the slug. I haven't gotten to test it yet (it was too late last night to plug it in), but I think it will provide more balance between the pups and when coil tapping.

the_great_lemon

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 28, 2012, 09:48:53 AM

Off the subject:
Last night I decided to play around with my pickups; I rotated them so the screw coil is inside and tilted them so the screw coil was slightly closer to the string than the slug. I haven't gotten to test it yet (it was too late last night to plug it in), but I think it will provide more balance between the pups and when coil tapping.

Hmmmm that's a really interesting thought. Love to hear about the results!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Heady Jam Fan

the_great_lemon

And going back to the original question:  I think I've found a pretty good tone with my BJ.  Feel free to listen to it here....
http://soundcloud.com/saucey-jams/may-4th-jam
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Heady Jam Fan

Lemon - I think I have listened to that when I clicked your soundclound link in another thread - I meant to post, but it was late - great tones! Very unleashed, free-flowing style your band has, if that makes sense. You guys respond to each other well, which is one of the coolest things that can happen when jamming.