Solo album is dropping check it out

Started by Poster, June 21, 2012, 05:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

http://bobmasseygroup.bandcamp.com/album/locomotive-bandito - should be about 3 new studio tracks going up every few days. and its all free

then there is also archived old band stuff at

thebmgs1@bandcamp.com

sour d

You should work a bit on your timing and the accuracy of your bends. Our band is playing the bandcamp fest on july 14th.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Poster

Heady Jam Fan

Nice stuff, I like the funkier / fusion drum beat, almost MMW-esc with a Grateful Dead 10th-minute, spacey jam thing on top. You like reverb, eh?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Poster on June 21, 2012, 10:27:08 PM
echoplex

Oh nice, nice sounding spring, really came out in the first tune I listened to.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Poster

Yup. San Diego is a vintage Gibson es 175, Maxwell is half ao and half koa hunk

and yes, that is the double reverb tank in the carr plus a vintage echoplex. we used some 50k neumann mics hanging from the ceiling, far away, and stereo phase field on the cab. lots of guitar channels to mix together, but I figured out how to render the guitar tracks separate from the band.

fulltone1989

Quote from: Poster on June 21, 2012, 11:14:28 PM
Yup. San Diego is a vintage Gibson es 175, Maxwell is half ao and half koa hunk

and yes, that is the double reverb tank in the carr plus a vintage echoplex. we used some 50k neumann mics hanging from the ceiling, far away, and stereo phase field on the cab. lots of guitar channels to mix together, but I figured out how to render the guitar tracks separate from the band.

Did you get another AO?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Poster

no, i started working on this record a long time ago. and the guitars sound almost identical really. Young Ave studio A has some grammys, so they did not skimp on the cool audio gear, ie making a studio recording, and live sound are polar opposites in my experience. and those bends in maggie are kinda bugging me too, i could always dub it tomorrow. we shall see! in fairness though, maggie is about my dog maggie, so I was trying to make girl dog noises.

briefcase is entirely live and improvised - same with maxwell short of the guitar solo dub

phishlips

alright I don't chime in much here but I do check in quite a bit and read whats going on, and I realize this is a dick post but...are these tracks finished?  As in for retail sale?  They all sound like cool musical ideas but incomplete songs or undeveloped.  They're all nice sounds but just noodling, right for the beginning of each one.  I'm sitting here listening and thinking, this is from the guy who pulls no punches with everyone on this site telling people how stupid they are on a constant basis and how much more knowledgeable he is on everything related to music and this is what comes out of years of "high level, professional touring and gigging all across the country".....am I missing something?  Am I the only one feeling this.

I guess after all the big talk I was expecting something a bit more....exciting.  There is no melody that stands out and structures are not really emphasized at all, it just meanders, these are just jams.  Nice ideas but none of them go anywhere.  Ambient is definitely a good word for this.  If I was a teaching grading this like a paper I would say, "this work makes no statement!, C-"

Sorry for being the hater but, I can't give this the standard "sounds great, great job!"   
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

picture_of_nectar

Quote from: phishlips on June 23, 2012, 11:21:20 AM
 Am I the only one feeling this.

nope, but I'd go see it at a local club.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

fulltone1989

MomaDan

Just when I was starting to think that this place was getting boring :D
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Poster

honestly the feedback has been hugely positive. reddit, 4 chan, etc. So yeah, sorry you dont dig it, but Iam proud. you want a bunch of modulation in your compositions, thats cool, Iam more interested in getting people to dance. also what part of FREE dont you fucking understand dude? Ive pulled those recordings down and tweaked them based on feedback several times, and will continue to do so. Id say about half of those songs are technically demos that have grown on me, Forde is not a demo however,  Midtown Player was a demo, and Mountain is fucking Mountain :0) . Those are supposed to sound vintage, noisy, reel to reel stax style tracking will do that. Thats the whole point. Having complete dictatorial control is nice for a change. Eventually I will put everything on itunes/grooveshark after Iam happy, and all of the copyright paperwork is in place for those respective recordings.

also my touring, gigging etc for the past couple of years has been limited to other peoples music. pop, country, r&b, lots of rap sessions (have you been to a studio lately? rock band stuff is very seldom seen these days with the advent of affordable home recording). Sometimes I really just want to jam and you cant do that when your working with other peoples stuff. My little solo band played maybe 10 times over 2011, doing a couple big gigs, but mainly free shows. Otherwise, I used to gig in several bands at one time, playing out throughout every week. Having to pay for food with music will make you do that. I learned a whole lot. Right now, Iam rebuilding a normal life, music really not in the cards these days. Hell Iam about 3000 miles from my people. So yeah, cheers! Glad you guys were able to check it out.