Trey's use of his Leslie

Started by picture_of_nectar, September 06, 2012, 02:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

Sounds like crap too ;)

That box is a power conditioner that Poster recommended on here a little while back. Has some kind of big transformer in it, weighs more then my amp!
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

cactuskeeb

Make/model of the power conditioner...?

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

jenkins

The leslie is an integral part of trey's tone, much more than most people think I believe. His tone has gone thru changes no doubt but overall his tone is his tone and has been rather consistent throughout the years. the casual listener cannot tell the difference between 3.0 and 1999 guitar tone like many of us on here can pick out in a second.

This is bc while he's changed his amps many times he's always been using the Leslie cabinet. The biggest change was during the late 90's when he went to the full size leslie over the chopped horn only cab he use for most of the 90's. People always pick out mid 90's as examples because when it was just the horn it was only high end and it was much more pronounced in the mix.
Now he uses it on slow foremost songs I believe, and it is critical to hell he the cheese such a death to his tone.  in my experience the motion sound amps just don't do it for me. When im running my trey rig i meep a univibe on slow with the depth high and very rarely turn it off. I'll also even ad a phase 90 on slow to mimic The effect with really good results actually.  Trey's tone is much more than just a guitar into an amp bc it's split and coming out a normal cab and a Leslie.

Happyorange27

At first I would say that you are putting too much emphasis on the Leslie as I don't think it's very influential. Also his 90's sound is more mids and definiatly not treblely. So for that I disagree.

But I will say that you might be on to something as I find that while Trey plays, there is a hidden force that makes certain notes pop and then certain notes muffle in somewhat of a cyclical pattern. I thought up till now that it was just his hand technique, like pinching certain notes, and this very well may be the case. But if you are correct, then Trey gets this constant sweeping tonal diversity with the Leslie staying on very slow. It's a cool theory nonetheless.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

express50express

Just listen to any trey dark and down live, and you will be an expert at when he uses his leslie.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: jenkins on February 07, 2014, 07:29:16 PM
This is bc while he's changed his amps many times he's always been using the Leslie cabinet. The biggest change was during the late 90's when he went to the full size leslie over the chopped horn only cab he use for most of the 90's. People always pick out mid 90's as examples because when it was just the horn it was only high end and it was much more pronounced in the mix.
Now he uses it on slow foremost songs I believe, and it is critical to hell he the cheese such a death to his tone.  in my experience the motion sound amps just don't do it for me. When im running my trey rig i meep a univibe on slow with the depth high and very rarely turn it off. I'll also even ad a phase 90 on slow to mimic The effect with really good results actually.  Trey's tone is much more than just a guitar into an amp bc it's split and coming out a normal cab and a Leslie.

It wasn't until 98, though, when you can see actually has two black cat vibes in his rack, that either a (slow) vibe or leslie cab (still just the horn until right around 2000) is almost always on.  But, yeah, this constant blend between guitar cab and leslie is the most ignored aspect of his tone.  Trey talks about this blend in at least two interviews.