Master Volume vs Channel Volume

Started by webephishin, September 23, 2012, 07:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webephishin

Quote from: the_great_lemon on October 09, 2012, 05:58:53 PM
Have you thought about a head and cab option? I've been drooling over the old Fender Bandmaster's that routinely go for between 600-900 depending on year and condition.  Running one of those into a 2x12 cab is an option.

You could always run a Deluxe Reverb into a 1x12 extension cab to get the 2x12 setup you're looking for.

For transportation purposes I think I would rather have a combo.
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

the_great_lemon

Quote from: webephishin on October 09, 2012, 07:12:02 PM

For transportation purposes I think I would rather have a combo.

I understand, less things to bring to the gig the better!  ;D

I have always had good experiences with the various Egnater models I've tried.  The Rebel 30 comes as a 2x12 combo and if you're looking for higher wattage they have the 65w Renegade

All of Dr. Z's current offerings look tasty as well
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Stecks

Quote from: webephishin on October 09, 2012, 05:52:03 PM
Thanks for the input, guys.  After playing on the Twin for a year i'm starting to realize there is a different tone out there (more mid-range, less bright high end) that I'm lookin for.  I tried doing some research but couldn't get a good enough answer for my liking, so i figured i'd ask you guys...Is there much of a difference between the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Hot Rod Deville?  The other guitarist in the band plays a Deville 410 but he's had a lot of problems with it which leads me to not really wanting the DeVille.  Since he's playin a 410, he tends to play pretty loud, so I'm not so sure if a Deluxe Reverb (1 12") will do justice, so I'm lookin to replace my twin with another 212.  What do the experts think?!  8)

Interesting, I play a Schecter through my original 1971 Twin.  The original owner added a master volume knob - I play through the Vibrato channel.  I love it - but I can totally understand why you say you'd be looking for less bright high end...  Schecters are pretty bright, I've had mine for about 10 years.  A friend of mine has the semihollow that I believe you are playing, as well. 

It took me a long long long time to get the tone I wanted - lots of trial and error - and its still an evolving process.  I don't think any of us guitarists have ever figured out "perfection" in terms of our tone, playing ability, etc...  Otherwise, why do we keep playing?  :)
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

ColForbin

Quote from: webephishin on October 09, 2012, 05:52:03 PM
Thanks for the input, guys.  After playing on the Twin for a year i'm starting to realize there is a different tone out there (more mid-range, less bright high end) that I'm lookin for.  I tried doing some research but couldn't get a good enough answer for my liking, so i figured i'd ask you guys...Is there much of a difference between the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Hot Rod Deville?  The other guitarist in the band plays a Deville 410 but he's had a lot of problems with it which leads me to not really wanting the DeVille.  Since he's playin a 410, he tends to play pretty loud, so I'm not so sure if a Deluxe Reverb (1 12") will do justice, so I'm lookin to replace my twin with another 212.  What do the experts think?!  8)

Out of your two earlier options, I would go for a Hot Rod Deville, but one of the newer versions.  I've seen guys run into issues with Deville's and Deluxe's, but I've heard great things about the new "III" series.  That being said, it's hard to beat that vintage fender tone.  I hear ya on wanting 2x12, I am the same way, but if you might consider running 2x10", than the vibrolux reverb is a fantastic option.  35watts, really nice amps, and that will give you a little bit more clean head room than a Deluxe Reverb, if that's what you are after.  I almost had one last year, and I would assume it would be much easier to move around than your twin.

Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

fulltone1989

Are you looking for an amp that breaks up easier or one that stays clean? Do you want to stay with Fender? The Mesa F-50's sounded real good for the change IMHO, much better that the Deville. I had a Deville for several years and it was good with pedals but the drive was harsh and line 6'ey sounding. If I came across one cheap enough though and only used it for pedals i'd pick it up for gig uses. Are you going to keep your twin? Why not look into an amp w/ lesser wattage? SF Princetons are usually great amps and are highly portable.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Stecks

Quote from: fulltone1989 on October 10, 2012, 11:17:42 AM
Are you looking for an amp that breaks up easier or one that stays clean? Do you want to stay with Fender? The Mesa F-50's sounded real good for the change IMHO, much better that the Deville. I had a Deville for several years and it was good with pedals but the drive was harsh and line 6'ey sounding. If I came across one cheap enough though and only used it for pedals i'd pick it up for gig uses. Are you going to keep your twin? Why not look into an amp w/ lesser wattage? SF Princetons are usually great amps and are highly portable.

I'd have to agree with FullTone on this one - unless you're playing out - HECK, even IF you're playing out - the Twin can be cumbersome.  Mine is an original 1971 (my back thanks me for casters)... But its bright, especially since we both play schecters.   Have you tried heavier strings on your Schech?  That could help... try throwing your tone knob about halfway down - I ***rarely*** play it all the way up unless i need that extra UMPH (which is usually climax and I have to give the first row kleenex and remove all of my personal dna from my monitors and pedals... but enough of how I met my probation officer..  :))

Depending on what twin you have, its gonna be between 100-130 watts - that's a  LOT of amp.  I have a 71, and I RARELY turn the Vibrato volume past 3.5 and master past 3.5, depending on the size of the room.  I've actually never even tried to go above 6 on either.  Wait, did you hear that?   Was someone talking to me?   :)

Of course, I'm kidding - but there are some serious amps out there for little $.  My buddy swears by his Line 6 Spider IV 75 watter....  Still a pretty powerful amp for a 1x12".  I played on a Blues JR a few weeks ago, no complaints... VOX and Ampeg should be OK (a few models)...  Blackstar supposedly has some good ones, I played one about a year or so ago, wasn't super impressed but...

I'm rarely impressed with only one speaker... I need the SWELLS :-)   I'm like a sonic explorer and neuro-auditory spelunker.... I'm spoiled on my twin, I doubt I'll ever change ANY time soon (but lugging the fucker around DOES take its toll... I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not 25 anymore, ha!!!)
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

CaptainPeyote

FWIW, I've had really good luck with my Egnater Tweaker.  The 15 Watts is plenty loud (even when set clean) for gigging with a band, and the range of tones to be had is just crazy.  I use the Marshall-esque tone stack and have tons of midrange with nice breakup, with no flubby lows or icepick highs.  Just nice, even frequency response that takes pedals (especially boosts) really well.  With an 808-style OD and a boost, it just sings - and my hollowbody gets pretty much infinitely-sustaining controlled feedback.  The Tweaker can't be beat for portability, either.  I lugged around various Fenders for years without getting what I was looking for...  traded in my last HRD 4x10 for this puppy and never looked back.  :)