Trey's soloing

Started by Stecks, October 09, 2012, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stecks

From summer 2012 - thoughts?  A bit less creative than years past, to me, but his TONE is back like a mf'er.  Less "scratchy" than any other time during 3.0.  What were your highlights? 

Big fan of:
6/24 Antelope
6/28 Wolfman's
7/7 Gin, Sally
8/19 Crosseyed > Light > Sally
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Walker done done

Good picks, and welcome to the forum man.  I earmarked some jams for my band to listen to a month ago:

6/7 Ghost
6/7 Boogie On
6/22 Twist
6/28 Back On The Train
7/1 Light
7/3 Golden Age
7/6 Sneakin' Sally
7/8 Kill Devil Falls
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Stecks

Quote from: Walker done done on October 09, 2012, 03:47:28 PM
Good picks, and welcome to the forum man.  I earmarked some jams for my band to listen to a month ago:

6/28 Back On The Train
7/6 Sally

TOTALLY agree on these two!!!  Not sure how I left them off...  The Wolfman's from 1st nite Creek is also fantastic.     Was a huge fan of Skin It Back, really glad they started playing that tune, its one of my favorites by Little Feat - they really laid into it.  Sand into anything this summer usually killed. 

I think the jamming on the second leg overall was MUCH better - however, 1st leg - I'm all about the darkness and sinister jams they got into.  I've always been way more into that than any other style of Phish jamming...  I'm a hard rock/metal junkie at heart, I suppose.
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Stecks

I noticed he played "outside" a lot less this summer - not as formulaic in his dorian/pentatonic buildups and releases as last year, but VERY tight, VERY fast... I mean the dude is pushing 50... He's got almost two decades on me and MY wrists hurt already :)

the_great_lemon

Quote from: Stecks on October 09, 2012, 02:20:32 PM
From summer 2012 - thoughts?  A bit less creative than years past, to me, but his TONE is back like a mf'er. 

Interesting that you thought this, because I thought 2012 has been the most inspired year of 3.0 so far.  There is a certain fire that they came with at every show where you truly didn't know what was going to happen.  Just about every night they jammed out something that hasn't been done in a while.  ex. worcester Roses, bader field BOAF (when was the last time they played a type II Birds??), sanfran Crosseyed + reprise.

Interesting how two phans can have different perspectives on the same stuff  8)
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

MomaDan

This has been a great year for Trey. He didn't go outside the box in every song to build tension like last year. It wasn't forced through non-tension based songs.

I'm pretty biased towards the Atlantic City run as they were great shows in an awesome environment. The Reba and Billy Breathes stand out to me as good examples of Trey's improvement in tone. The high pitched screeches like in the KDF or Axilla intro were tamed down to a manageable level.

On the 2012 jam style, by the end of Dick's run (or before) it became very clear to me which direction Trey was trying to go with jams. Lots of minor chord comping into a solo style. Some examples (I dont feel like searching times for every one): DCU Roses and Boogie On, AC jam out of Manteca in Light, Dicks Light and Sand

Then theres the major release pattern, which was done a little different than in years past. A couple examples, Charlotte Tweezer, Dicks Undermind and Chalkdust.

I just went through my itunes library quickly to look these up. It makes a lot more sense with specific times. Well done Trey, now just practice up for NYE run this time. I'm looking forward to it.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Stecks

I still think they opened the 6/24 Blossom show second set with Golden Age because I'm about 6'4", was about 50 rows back dead center in the pavilion, and was in a BRIGHT, RETINA SCARRING yellow shirt.  And I was also celebrating my FIRST YEAR of cancer remission  ;D   Suck it bitches!

I think I was the happiest person on the planet at the time - I was crying and smiling and laughing the entire show, out of pure enjoyment. 

How it should be, right?!?

Walker done done

^ right on brother!  EXACTLY how IT should be!  ;D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.