Truefire

Started by scrooged, October 27, 2012, 02:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrooged

I was exploring the truefire.com lesson videos and came across a riff that reminded me of that famous Trey lick in the Rochester 97 DWD. It's under 50 Progressive Blues Licks and it is lick no.2 called Bueno Massa. It's an amzing little riff in that it uses many familiar lead ideas that we all know but the timing of the bends gives it that awesome unique flavor that we live to hear Trey play. It is worth taking the time to get used the beat placement as timing is everything. I only discovered truefire a few days ago but it is a treasure trove of guitar vids. I love the 50 licks series. Highly recommended. BTW I am also fairly new to this forum so a big hello from Long Island NY! Happy Halloween!

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

scrooged

Here's another simple arpeggiated idea that to me has a bit of a Trey flav to it. The instructor even has the look down haha. This one is from 50 R+B licks. Not sure how you embedded that last one but here's the direct link. You need to be logged in to see the whole vid, but registration was free. Or if Happyorange wants to work his magic again... how do you embed like that anyway? I didn't see an embed code anywhere. Thanks.

http://truefire.com/tftv/index.html?channel=50-rb-licks&videofile=mp4:guitar-50-rhythm-and-blues-licks-videos/rc31-50-rhythm-blues-licks-you-must-know

Happyorange27

Not as easy since this one is not a YouTube video.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Stecks

VERY Bonamassa...  And yeah, Trey does this a lot too.   I used to have the same tendency to want to use my pinky on the b7 there.  I went from almost never using my pinky to wanting to use it too much, now I guess its all about finding balance (or chaos, same difference).   I think what I've really been doing is not using my pinky as much soloing until I get above the 17thBut yeah, these are licks that Trey and just about all blues & rock guitarists throw down.  I actually think I OVER use this style and unison bend/sweep to the tonic technique.  But yeah...  He'll also do a huge unison bend from the 4 to the 5 (sometimes with a b5 substitution... or maybe that's ME I'm talking about, I live vicariously through actually talented professionals :) )  The bend on the G string, you know what I mean) and instead of kind of sweeping to the 1/tonic on the bottom string, he'll instead have his pinky hit the b7 & b3 onthe bottom two strings - does it SO often during minor/minor pent/dorian/blues flavored jamming.  Actually, the end of the "Tube" soloing is this in a nutshell...  Same with a half bend of the 6 instead of playing a b7 during a ton of mixolydian/dorian jams.. even major and minors.  I think its more of a Hendrixy thing.

Here's a pic of that 4 full unison bend sweep to the b7... think end of tube, dwd...

He's definitely a little more formulaic now than he used to be (which is NOT an insult by any means)... I think he's grown into his style, isn't overplaying, has relaxed a bit, and since his bandmates have gotten so much stronger he doesn't need to carry as much of a burden...  Plus time makes all of us dudes more set in our ways :-)   

I think what made me fall in love with him when I really started playing in earnest in around 95/96 was his sweeping and such precise ear in terms of pitch and timbre...  He's so.... FLUID I guess would be the word I'm thinking of.   

And oh yeah, speaking of this video...  Can anyone say PETER FRAMPTON? :-)   Joe B teases Framp all the time...  Cincy can suck it, Go Cleveland (but I'll give Cincitucky props for Frampton, Bootsy Collins and Chuck Garvey (moe. can be rather ummmmmmmmmm uhhh yeah.... but dude can play for sure).
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Jkendrick

Has anyone become a Truefire member or bought a complete course? I'm considering Fareed Haque's Beebop Survival Guide. But I've looked at a few free videos and I'm just not sure about it. For example, this lesson:

http://youtu.be/jM3l7grsdd4

It honestly doesn't seem very helpful to me. Is there more to it if you buy?* I'm trying to get my playing less scale based and more arpeggio based so I can more readily play over complex changes. I'm not interested in a collection of licks either.

*obviously I know there is more to the course, but I'm asking does the paid version elaborate on the concepts in this video or is this it as far as the scales from arpeggios part of the course is concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT