Howdy Y'All

Started by CaptainPeyote, October 30, 2012, 01:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainPeyote

Hello SD!

Can't believe I've been a guitarist and a Phish fan this long, and haven't been active here yet.  I think I joined about a year ago, but didn't bookmark the site and forgot about it until now.

My name's Justin, I live in Milwaukee, and I'm a new dad who quit his job to go back to school for Electrical Engineering, mostly to support my hobby which is electronics for musicians.  Before that, I spent several years as a live sound engineer doing concert production and installation work.  I build effects pedals and have a small business making custom circuit boards for music projects and building gear for some local and national touring acts.  I brew heady beer when I have time & inclination, and like to discuss dangerous topics like politics, religion, and the merits of Ross-style comps vs. optical compression.  But for all our benefits, I'll skip the first two topics while I'm here.   ::)

Glad to be here.   :)

IamWILSON

Welcome Captain! 

I haven't really checked in for a while, but since you have a background in electronics, maybe you can clear something up for me as far as the "ross-style comps vs. optical compression" that you mentioned.  What is the difference? I've got a couple Ross compressors, a Keeley comp, and just recently got a 3leaf pwnzor (stupidest pedal name ever), but I'm very impressed with its transparency in sound and feel.  I bought it for my bass playing, but may end up using it for my guitars too. 

And what are some of your favorite brews?  As a big Guinness fan, I've always like the the stouts, but it's hard to pass up some IPA's, porters, and browns. 

And what bands did you see at Milwaukee fest this past summer?

There's some great, knowledgeable musicians here with some helpfull information and experience in the never-ending quest for tone so hopefully you won't forget to click that bookmark tab every once in a while!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Stecks

Hey Cap'n...  nice to have another Midwesterner.  "Mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land" is a beautiful city, especially in the summer.   I'm in Cleveland, the two cities are somewhat similar.

Cleveland was just named by GQ magazine as one of the top 5 beer cities in America.   I tend to go hoppy and belgian style ales.  But as with music and attractive women, I appreciate anything excellent.  The big local brewery here is Great Lakes Brewing Company - check out their Dortmunder Gold, Nosferatu, Edmund Fitzgerald, Lake Erie Monster, Blackout Stout, and my recent favorite by them, Commodore Perry IPA.  Their seasonal Christmas Ale release is somewhat of a Cleveland holiday, people hit the bars as soon as they open on Oct 25.  http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/home

Happy Orange will back me up in saying that Thirsty Dog from Akron, OH is pretty phenomenal. 

I went to undergrad in Illinois, and to give props to Wisconsin, I really enjoyed New Glarus' products.  Another one from Indiana, Three Floyds, is great.  Their Alpha King and Dreadnaught IPA are world class, but they don't export to Ohio anymore, bastards. 

Lagunitas makes some great stuff - I loved their Ruben and the Jets and Lumpy Gravy (too bad they killed 'em).  Ommegang out of NY - bomb...  Founders in Michigan is stellar.  Can't go wrong with Stone, Bell's, a few Goose Islands (that crazy 15% stout), Troegs, Dogfish Head....

I can't say much about other comp's, I have the black 80's Ross, I love it as a sustainer and for compression.  I stopped using it altogether, but was admonished by many users here so its back in the rotation :) There's probably better people to ask about certain fx.  I'm tending to just play with my TS9 & Ross and sometimes my delay, but otherwise, I keep it simple, mostly because I'm stupid - its easier on me that way.  Thinking just gets me frustrated and Stecks smash!!!

Tell us your rig, Cap, post some pictures!   Congrats on being a dad, congrats on going back to school, I'm sure you're kicking ass at both!
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Heady Jam Fan

Nice first post!

Milwaukee and beer reminds me of high school, drinking Beast, lol.

I enjoy a good brew as well, its either Yuengling - best lager around IMO and not just cuz I am from PA - or Ale; preferably a triple that isn't too sweet, but a brown has flavor and not as much risk of being too sweet. I have to say, Unibroue has been my favorite brewery for a while, but I can't afford it too often. I have been drinking a bit of Over-The-Edge by Van Steenberge (they brew Gulden Draak, awesome beer, just too sweet) since it is brewed for a restaurant-bar on my street; tastes like a mixture between an IPA and a triple.

Anyway, Ross comp all the way! I have had a handful of optic or other more 'transparent' comps and I miss the feel and midrange of a ross-style. They might be a bit quieter and have more headroom, but I love the other 'artifacts' of a Ross.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Captain, you are going to fit in very well here. We need to talk about pedal mods and PCBs and such. I'm all into that.
I brew Belgium wits all the time. Best beer ever.
I'm a dad and an engineer.
Welcome friend.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Stecks

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on October 31, 2012, 11:58:07 PM
Nice first post!

Milwaukee and beer reminds me of high school, drinking Beast, lol.

I enjoy a good brew as well, its either Yuengling - best lager around IMO and not just cuz I am from PA

They finally started selling Yingers in Ohio this year or last year.
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Heady Jam Fan

Nice! I went to college in Ohio and people would bring trunks full. Someone that I was friendly with knew a place that sold Yuenger-dangers, but I never got around to figuring out where. They have really increased their marketing and sales regions in the past year.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Walker done done

Am I the only one who doesn't like Yuengling??
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

the_great_lemon

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Heady Jam Fan

agreed, oldest brewery for a reason

Walker done done

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on November 05, 2012, 09:49:10 PM
agreed, oldest brewery for a reason

So they have good stamina and the owners haven't pissed away the profits.  Still not budging on this one.  I've had it a lot, my wife loves it, but I cannot get used to it.  I find it unappetizing.  Eh, the good thing is there is a plethora of beer to be drank in the world!  I'll be picking up some Heady Topper (ranked #3 in the world on BeerAdvocate.com) next week on my way back from Montreal!  Now THAT is a good beer kids.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Heady Jam Fan

Not familiar with Heady Topper, but IMO, that is cheating!

Yuengling is a lager; Heady Topper is an ale. The average lager pales the the average ale (not just in taste, but also price).

webephishin

Quote from: CaptainPeyote on October 30, 2012, 01:10:54 PM
Hello SD!

Can't believe I've been a guitarist and a Phish fan this long, and haven't been active here yet.  I think I joined about a year ago, but didn't bookmark the site and forgot about it until now.

My name's Justin, I live in Milwaukee, and I'm a new dad who quit his job to go back to school for Electrical Engineering, mostly to support my hobby which is electronics for musicians.  Before that, I spent several years as a live sound engineer doing concert production and installation work.  I build effects pedals and have a small business making custom circuit boards for music projects and building gear for some local and national touring acts.  I brew heady beer when I have time & inclination, and like to discuss dangerous topics like politics, religion, and the merits of Ross-style comps vs. optical compression.  But for all our benefits, I'll skip the first two topics while I'm here.   ::)

Glad to be here.   :)

Welcome aboard, Captain! I'm a Milwaukee man myself! Are you in a band down here? Play any shows in these parts?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

webephishin

For the record....New Glarus' Moon Man is the best pale ale you'll ever drink! Its my favorite beer by far!
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410