Vid of Trey talking about his rig

Started by jadirusso, December 29, 2012, 09:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Stecks - About keeping the rig simple and familiar, see my Garcia quote in my signature ;)

Happy - I thought those are V30 speakers, I think there are a few sources saying thats what he uses / has used with the Mesa. Thought about trying some with mine even though I like my WGS Celestion Blue/Gold clone. PS - having said that, I kinda wanna try a WGS Retro 30 with a higher power handling voice coil - at $70, not too bad ;)

Shocked - Sometimes my Mesa sounds pretty dark until I get it loud or mic it - a good mic'ing brings out top-end clarity, but having it eq'ed darker keeps it from being harsh or gritty. Thats my take at least.

Thats cool he is using coil drop more, I love my single coil setting! I also noticed when he turned on a TS (particularly the dirtier one) he got some hum, which I never hear live IIRC. Makes me feel better about when I get hum :D

It also sounded like he didn't have the TS's on during a fair bit of what he was playing during that video. I suspect it was either the audio quality or he just didn't care if they were on or off since he was just demoing and not actually playing.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

ShockedAndPersuaded

Wilson- Yes my amp is a DRG MKIII but I don't think it's the problem. As my OP says the TS's are mushing out my comp. I guess what I was asking was do any Grey Ross owners experience the mush too at higher volume settings with your TS's or is it the AnalogMan? I am a VERY firm believer in "listening" with my ears and not my eyes as well. I was just posting those settings as a benchmark.
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

connor117

also when trey switches from single coil to humbucker mode, theres practically no volume difference.
i heard once that paul modded the 59 pickups, actually just one (said he unwound it and rotated the magnet 90°), so that the guitar was still humbucking in single coil mode.

could the pickups be modded some how as well to avoid volume drop?

im using an artinger with lollar imperials and the volume drop is definitely noticeable....

Happyorange27

Quote from: connor117 on January 09, 2013, 09:43:39 AM
also when trey switches from single coil to humbucker mode, theres practically no volume difference.
i heard once that paul modded the 59 pickups, actually just one (said he unwound it and rotated the magnet 90°), so that the guitar was still humbucking in single coil mode.

im using an artinger with lollar imperials and the volume drop is definitely noticeable....
Well listening to this through YouTube, a production editor, and a Ross compressor isn't going to let you hear much of a volume difference.  I'm sure it's more about how much output is entering the rig which influences more of a crisp single coil sound versus a fatter humbucker sound.  So it's more about sound texture than for audience volume.  But I bet if you were there in person and played his Doc straight into his amp (compressor off) then you would here the difference.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: connor117 on January 09, 2013, 09:43:39 AM

I also play an Artinger with Lollar Imperials ;)

I have heard that he mods or modded pickups as well, but some people argue (with a great deal of certainty) that he stopped doing this years ago, possibly not since he worked at Time.

There are all sorts of things you can do with these sort of pups if you want to open them up (such as using turing a coil into a dummy coil), but my understanding is that he no longer does anything like that. In my discussion with him, his wiring is quite similar to schematics that are widely available. Although I suspect there are nuances or there is the possibility he just doesn't want to talk about trade secrets, understandably.

I agre with Happy - there would not be a volume drop considering all the compression from the TS9, Comp and also a Mesa is hardly affected by input volume itself.

On that note, I do notice a difference in the amount of drive that I get from the TS9 when in single coil (or parallel) mode because of the lower output. Considering this, the best evidence of whether his single setting changes the guitar's output would actually be paying attention to changes in the amount of distortion.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Absolutely^.  Also I tend to turn down my guitar volume or switch to single coil when using my wah.  One thing i don't care for is to much signal going through my wah when i have the TS9s on.  It's just too harsh.  I think i might add more resistance to the input of my wah to make it a bit quieter.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Good point about the wah happy - I think that is one of the things I struggle with on a wah. The resistance of a guitar volume knob also tends to bleed off some treble in any schematic I have tried, which is why I am using a DVP1 before my TS9, to avoid this. However, I could see how a subtle taming of treble could be helpful with a wah, especially toe-down - would I be correct in assuming adding resistance to your wah (as you describe) would also have this effect? I assume it would unless you have a buffer before the wah.

Happyorange27

I'm not an expert but usually the more resistance you add, the more chance you have of losing high end.  But I think capacitance plays just as much a role.  I think most audio signals are like RC circuits meaning resistance and capacitance play a role in the output.  I actually wouldn't mind a little high end being lost.

Stecks

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 09, 2013, 01:01:43 PM
I'm not an expert but usually the more resistance you add, the more chance you have of losing high end.  But I think capacitance plays just as much a role.  I think most audio signals are like RC circuits meaning resistance and capacitance play a role in the output.  I actually wouldn't mind a little high end being lost.

Well, if voltage is constant, then an increase in resistance would require a decrease in current, according to Ohm's Law...
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

connor117

>> reply from paul about pickup mod

" I don't add windings, I just reverse the magnet on one of the pickups and
> switch the phase on the wiring so it's back in phase. This makes the pickups
> humbucking in single coil mode so it's quieter. I also re-pot them after the
> covers are on. "

follow up email

" however the
modification I do is pretty simple and only relevant if you have a coil drop
switch. It's just a matter of flipping the magnet on one of the pickups (I
do the neck pickup but it doesn't matter) 180 degrees (the short way, not
the long way) so that the pickups will be hum canceling when run together in
single coil mode. Flipping the magnet will make them out of phase, so the
modified pickup will have to be wired in reverse when it's installed to put
them back in phase. Also I repot the pickups after the covers are on to make
them solid. There's no secret magic about it, it just makes the pickups hum
canceling in this one configuration."

still doesnt clarify volume question....from my experience even with mesa, ross, ts9s....theres a volume drop....

maybe trey is a volume wizard and adjusts wo thinking about it.

like going to SC when on the wah as mentioned....

Happyorange27

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: connor117 on January 11, 2013, 03:56:10 AM
>> reply from paul about pickup mod

" I don't add windings, I just reverse the magnet on one of the pickups and
> switch the phase on the wiring so it's back in phase. This makes the pickups
> humbucking in single coil mode so it's quieter. I also re-pot them after the
> covers are on. "

follow up email

" however the
modification I do is pretty simple and only relevant if you have a coil drop
switch. It's just a matter of flipping the magnet on one of the pickups (I
do the neck pickup but it doesn't matter) 180 degrees (the short way, not
the long way) so that the pickups will be hum canceling when run together in
single coil mode
. Flipping the magnet will make them out of phase, so the
modified pickup will have to be wired in reverse when it's installed to put
them back in phase. Also I repot the pickups after the covers are on to make
them solid. There's no secret magic about it, it just makes the pickups hum
canceling in this one configuration.
"

still doesnt clarify volume question....from my experience even with mesa, ross, ts9s....theres a volume drop....

maybe trey is a volume wizard and adjusts wo thinking about it.

like going to SC when on the wah as mentioned....

In other words, this only makes a difference when the pup selector is in the middle position.

picture_of_nectar

Couple things about my Doc,

Volume doesn't change when switching to single coil, and there is no hum.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on January 11, 2013, 11:49:20 AM
Couple things about my Doc,

Volume doesn't change when switching to single coil, and there is no hum.
That's interesting especially about the volume.

Stecks

That makes sense.  Usually, there's a volume drop when one is playing with a combination of neck and bridge pickups in series or parallel.  One way I get around this is with my volume pedal - when I experience the drop, I nudge the pedal up a tad. 
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ