new guy,

Started by omguratard, February 02, 2013, 04:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omguratard

hey all, new guy joining from the industrial wasteland of N.E. Ohio, i'm old, and starting to pick guitar back up, found phish a few years back and loving it, saw them once ,so far, last year at blossom music center and got more hooked than ever...any good sites for lessons and such? been scratching on the guitar since the early 80's...told you i was old...and really want to start playing and learning this six string demon...and have fun with this Phish community.

Heady Jam Fan

Welcome! There are some lessons on this site, but it might help to know where you are now with guitar and where you would like to get.

You will have some good Ohio brethren on this site too!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Stecks

Cleveland here... welcome. 
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

the_great_lemon

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

fulltone1989

Hello! Like Heady said there's a bunch of good stuff on here.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

omguratard

thanks all, I'm a veteran novice, not much structured lessons, basic chords, a few riffs, i really want to start playing on stage, open mic nites and such, i have a herd of guitars, tele's, strats, epi's...got all the gear, just need the discipline to practice, i've been in a "band" for over a year, but only practiced once...sigh, no drummer, but their into stuff im not...love phish, almonds, moe...stevie, about everything layed back and groove (y)...i figured at least practicing in a band would be a good motivator, but the band is kinda in limbo...i'm going to dig around the forum and check it out.

Heady Jam Fan

You will find a lot of discussion on how to play certain songs and some theory, definitely a good starting point. Some might make you head spin, but other stuff is more tangible.

As for learning, I would break it down into rhythm and lead, respectively:

Trey, especially in certain phases, was pretty big on 3-4 note chords on the higher pitched strings. That gets some of the funky chords, especially when you start adding some colors (notes other than root, 3 and 5). You can find a lot of those in tabs for his songs - building a repertoire of those chords and how they sound together might be a cool way to open up jamming with your band.

As for scales, start with your major and minor pentatonic, then add in diatonic notes to those scales such as dorian and aeloian to minor pentatonic and mixolydian and lydian to major pentatonic. Its okay if you learn them in one position first, but then try moving up one position higher and so on. You can find charts for all these scales online.

Here is a good place to start:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4S3f4zHrJF-N1JyRjFwakZ1VVU/edit?usp=sharing
Not sure if I shared that book anywhere on here, thought I did.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Stecks

Quote from: omguratard on February 03, 2013, 12:06:13 PM
thanks all, I'm a veteran novice, not much structured lessons, basic chords, a few riffs, i really want to start playing on stage, open mic nites and such, i have a herd of guitars, tele's, strats, epi's...got all the gear, just need the discipline to practice, i've been in a "band" for over a year, but only practiced once...sigh, no drummer, but their into stuff im not...love phish, almonds, moe...stevie, about everything layed back and groove (y)...i figured at least practicing in a band would be a good motivator, but the band is kinda in limbo...i'm going to dig around the forum and check it out.

If you're around Cleveland, I can tell you a ton of people/jam nites to check out.  Almond Brothers are great, I like the Pecan Sandies too :)
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Happyorange27

Omg welcome. I'm in Akron. Stecks in Cleveland. Heady in Pittsburg area. Make sure we hang at the next Blossom show.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

webephishin

Welcome! I'm a Milwookie, WI guy....if u haven''t figured it out yet, you will very soon, that this board is the bomb diggity.
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410