Main Menu

mesa speakers

Started by Heady Jam Fan, March 28, 2013, 01:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

What speakers do you guys like?

The mesa v30 is a bit too harsh and present. It's okay with my mkiii, but harsh with my express.

My wgs Blackhawk is perfect (tone-wise) with my mkiii, but I don't like the compression of alnico with mesa amps. It was smoother than the v30 in the express.

I found the evm12l too blanketed sounding with my mkiii, never tried it with my express. It also had more bass than I needed, but I like the smoothness and less beamy 3" dome.

What suggestions do you guys have for these two amps?

fane medusa?  Weber Michigan? Eminence delta lite? Wgs et65?

Something not too heavy, smooth but not dark/muddy, ceramic or neo, won't totally break the bank.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

sour d

Check ebay seller stpsmf. These guys build some serious speakers. I have a hemp cone celestion rebuild they made in a fender concert amp. 2.5" voice coil 80 oz magnet. 300w handling. They make some crazy speakers. They usually have a few interesting speakers for sale. I think they are called PMR speakers.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I heard of those, but I kinda want to know what I am getting and I'm kinda skeptical about the resale value.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

sour d

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 28, 2013, 06:56:37 PM
Yea, I heard of those, but I kinda want to know what I am getting and I'm kinda skeptical about the resale value.
Resale value? On a speaker? That's like saying I only buy duracell batteries cause they're worth more after I wear 'em down a bit. Haha
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: sour d on March 28, 2013, 10:26:39 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 28, 2013, 06:56:37 PM
Resale value? On a speaker? That's like saying I only buy duracell batteries cause they're worth more after I wear 'em down a bit. Haha

You think so? That hasn't been my experience at all - I've bought and sold a fair number of speakers over the years - the value doesn't drop much more than any other gear. That is, if it is something people know about an look for (rather than something that could be cool, but someone kinda just put together and sold on ebay).

I could see your argument for tubes - sure, they run out and only get worse, but speakers get better for quite some time before they run into problems.

sour d

It's just not an item that I think "what can I resell this for when I am done abusing it". Kinda like buying sneakers, "so these are $150. If I use them for a couple months they'll still be worth $100".  You never see people selling half smoked joints either.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: sour d on March 28, 2013, 11:19:36 PM
It's just not an item that I think "what can I resell this for when I am done abusing it". Kinda like buying sneakers, "so these are $150. If I use them for a couple months they'll still be worth $100".  You never see people selling half smoked joints either.

I don't plan on abusing them, but rather using them.

Since I want to use them, I want to know what I am getting and know that I will likely like them.

If I am likely to like them, I am likely to keep them.

If I am likely to keep them, I won't be likely to sell them at a bit of a loss.

However, If I don't like them, then I can sell them more easily and for less of a loss if they are a known and popular brand rather than some chop-shop, frankenstein build with unknown characteristic that I can only imagine someone would buy just because it costs 40% less than getting the real thing.

And c'mon, we are guitarists - even with the best intentions of keeping gear for our lifetime, the trend is that we sell, trade, try... With speakers, you often have to buy to try, unlike sneakers where I can go test a dozen if I want to before buying.

I just don't have money to waste on some unknown, albeit interesting, product on eBay. And I can't afford to keep gear I am not using.

Happyorange27

How much for the half smoked J's? :P
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on April 01, 2013, 12:27:09 PM

Lol....

Anyway... I decided to go with a 212.

Found a used Avatar cab that will cost under $100 after I sell the 2 Celestion Heritage G12M speakers it comes with.

I am going to use the V30 from my Express Plus and I am ordering (waiting for the paypal invoice) a Weber Blue Dog 75w Ceramic Pre-Rola-Dope with a Neo Magnet Boost (the boost adds a bit of efficiency to match the V30).

If the Weber paypal invoice comes, lol, I will sell my WGS Blackhawk. Its not sensitive enough for the V30 and I like ceramic with my Mesa's, Alnico with Fenders.

I am also selling my Mesa combo cabinets and moving the amp chasses (or is it chassises?) into 4U Rack Cases (like a headshell / headcab size).

The only other speaker I thought about pairing with the V30 was an MC90 / G12-80 / CL80. I only tried one once briefly and brand new, but it is supposed to be great for hard rock with v30s, right efficiency, etc...

sour d

As much as you can handle, no charge, if you come to the bangor show.

Happyorange27

Quote from: sour d on April 03, 2013, 07:54:50 AM

As much as you can handle, no charge, if you come to the bangor show.
;D
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex