Main Menu

Wah Pedal Issue

Started by webephishin, April 01, 2013, 10:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webephishin

So, a while ago (when i had my '74 Twin) my wah pedal was way too harsh on the ears.  The highs were piercing so I brought it to the music store and the guy opened up the pedal and showed me how to adjust the pot.  He turned it as much as he could to give it more low-end, less high-pitched screeching.  Later on I dumped the Twin and got my HR Deville 410.  About a week ago, I thought it would be a good idea to turn back the pot to its original position when I bought the pedal, so I turned it back, plugged it in and noticed (I THINK) that my tone (more specifically my high's) was a little different than before- even when the pedal was off.  Can the position of the pot effect the guitar tone even when the pedal is not on?  I think i'm hearing more high end, trebly screeching more often than usual when playing on my bridge pickup.  I'm not so sure I like it, but then again i said the same thing when I incorporated a compressor in my rig and now i love it....

hmmmmmm  ???
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Happyorange27

Well if you switch get's faulty you will get crosstalk (wah sound even when in bypass).  I happened to me.  Try to go with a true bypass switch.  Takes a little work but worth it.  Also your bypass may be coloring your tone regardless (but usually they suck the treble, not amplify it).  Also there is only so much you can do with a treble strong wah, but that's when you can look at getting a red fasel inductor instead.  Gives you a nice throaty sound.  Or just go a damn MC404 by CAE already.  Hope that helps.  Call me if you want to talk wah mods.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex