New Pedals: AD9, Keeley Red Dirt, RV7

Started by Heady Jam Fan, June 12, 2013, 08:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Grabbed a few pedals this week preparing for a remodeling of my rig (don't worry, sold some stuff before buying!).

I've had the RV7 twice and sold it. Great reverb from Hardwire with the Lexicon algorithms. I'm not a reverb guy and put off using one for over a year telling myself the dark reverb from my Mesa set really subtle is just fine. However, listening to so much live Phish over the past month and a half, I prefer the MKIII except the DR's reverb sounds fantastic - the bright sound of the springs during the attack on Trey's chords is a really cool effect. Its the only thing I consistently like more about his DR than Mesa. So I got the RV7, turned the decay (reverb trail length) all the way down and the liveliness all the way up. I also darkened by core tone, making it smoother. The short, bright springy reverb keeps my sound from being dark, but my tone is smoother and has a cool springy effect now.

I've wanted a vintage AD9 for a while now and found one at a good price. The Microverb is cool, but does have an effect on tone, its also kinda clunky since its a rack unit on my pedalboard controlled by a Boss FS5L and requires a wall wart. It sounds pretty awesome and I haven't even checked to make sure the trim pots are set correctly (I love old pedals, especially Ibanez).

I wanted to try the Keeley Red Dirt for a clean TS because I am getting a programmable TB loop and, rather than using my volume knob which sacrifices treble, I wanted a preset with a very clean TS. The Keeley gets cleaner than an Ibanez though there are also other differences, but its fine for a clean sound (I reviewed it on TGP if you want my detailed thoughts: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1277254).

Also, when I get the programmable looper, I think I am going to ditch my other FS5L controlling my Mesa's GEQ for a lead boost. I am using it always on as of today with my MXR 6-Band set as a boost. I'll put the 6-Band in a loop with the AD9 to jump into leads in one stomp. With the looper, I will have 4 presets:
Clean Keeley Red Dirt + Comp
Mild TS9 + Comp
Cranked TS9 + Comp
Mild>Cranked TS9 + Comp

There are four footswitches left on the looper that won't be set for presets, but rather toggling single loops while in a preset. One will be for modulation (phase 45), one for the lead loop, probably one for tuner, etc...

I'll probably post in the "My Rig" section once I get the board setup with the looper, but was excited about the new pedals - thought they sounded really good.

Oh yea, kind off the forum topic, but I've still been playing around with speakers. In some ways, I miss my Celestion Alnico / clones, but Alnico isn't ideal in my rig. The two V30's sound great in the 212, one V30 alone sounds a bit weaker. The EVM12L alone or with my regular (rather than Mesa) V30 in the 212 sounded awesome as well. At this point I am going to stick with the EVM in a Mesa 112 using the Mesa GEQ to roll off some treble and bass. Its a faster (attack), more articulate speaker with better dispersion (especially treble). I think I am going to try a C90 and maybe a G12-80 (which is what the C90 is based on, from the 80's or so - pre-rola Celestion, replaced by the CL-80 which is not all that popular). I think it will sound similar to how I have the EVM eq'ed, with good treble dispersion, but cheaper and lighter - not sure if the attack will be as fast or articulate though.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 12, 2013, 08:45:12 PM
Grabbed a few pedals this week preparing for a remodeling of my rig (don't worry, sold some stuff before buying!).

I've had the RV7 twice and sold it. Great reverb from Hardwire with the Lexicon algorithms. I'm not a reverb guy and put off using one for over a year telling myself the dark reverb from my Mesa set really subtle is just fine. However, listening to so much live Phish over the past month and a half, I prefer the MKIII except the DR's reverb sounds fantastic - the bright sound of the springs during the attack on Trey's chords is a really cool effect. Its the only thing I consistently like more about his DR than Mesa. So I got the RV7, turned the decay (reverb trail length) all the way down and the liveliness all the way up. I also darkened by core tone, making it smoother. The short, bright springy reverb keeps my sound from being dark, but my tone is smoother and has a cool springy effect now.

I've wanted a vintage AD9 for a while now and found one at a good price. The Microverb is cool, but does have an effect on tone, its also kinda clunky since its a rack unit on my pedalboard controlled by a Boss FS5L and requires a wall wart. It sounds pretty awesome and I haven't even checked to make sure the trim pots are set correctly (I love old pedals, especially Ibanez).

I wanted to try the Keeley Red Dirt for a clean TS because I am getting a programmable TB loop and, rather than using my volume knob which sacrifices treble, I wanted a preset with a very clean TS. The Keeley gets cleaner than an Ibanez though there are also other differences, but its fine for a clean sound (I reviewed it on TGP if you want my detailed thoughts: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1277254).

Also, when I get the programmable looper, I think I am going to ditch my other FS5L controlling my Mesa's GEQ for a lead boost. I am using it always on as of today with my MXR 6-Band set as a boost. I'll put the 6-Band in a loop with the AD9 to jump into leads in one stomp. With the looper, I will have 4 presets:
Mild TS9 + Comp
Cranked TS9 + Comp
Mild>Cranked TS9 + Comp

There are four footswitches left on the looper that won't be set for presets, but rather toggling single loops while in a preset. One will be for modulation (phase 45), one for the lead loop, probably one for tuner, etc...

I'll probably post in the "My Rig" section once I get the board setup with the looper, but was excited about the new pedals - thought they sounded really good.

Oh yea, kind off the forum topic, but I've still been playing around with speakers. In some ways, I miss my Celestion Alnico / clones, but Alnico isn't ideal in my rig. The two V30's sound great in the 212, one V30 alone sounds a bit weaker. The EVM12L alone or with my regular (rather than Mesa) V30 in the 212 sounded awesome as well. At this point I am going to stick with the EVM in a Mesa 112 using the Mesa GEQ to roll off some treble and bass. Its a faster (attack), more articulate speaker with better dispersion (especially treble). I think I am going to try a C90 and maybe a G12-80 (which is what the C90 is based on, from the 80's or so - pre-rola Celestion, replaced by the CL-80 which is not all that popular). I think it will sound similar to how I have the EVM eq'ed, with good treble dispersion, but cheaper and lighter - not sure if the attack will be as fast or articulate though.

Nice! That's interesting about the RV7, the verb on my GT is quite pitiful so I have been going back and forth between a HoF, Trinity, or a RV7. The WET seems neat also but it'd just be something like an old Fender supplies, I'll have to look into the RV7 then!

We had an AD9 at my work awhile back, I should've picked it up! Analog delays are where it's at. I like my Ardx20 which is two Maxon AD900's in one. Have you opened it up yet?

The Red dirt, never heard of it... Is it transparent at all or a TS style drive?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fulltone1989 on June 12, 2013, 09:01:32 PM

Mild TS9 + Comp
Cranked TS9 + Comp
Mild>Cranked TS9 + Comp

Nice! That's interesting about the RV7, the verb on my GT is quite pitiful so I have been going back and forth between a HoF, Trinity, or a RV7. The WET seems neat also but it'd just be something like an old Fender supplies, I'll have to look into the RV7 then!

We had an AD9 at my work awhile back, I should've picked it up! Analog delays are where it's at. I like my Ardx20 which is two Maxon AD900's in one. Have you opened it up yet?

The Red dirt, never heard of it... Is it transparent at all or a TS style drive?

Reverb - Mesa is known for having poor reverb, not sure if there is a reason they never fixed it. In some ways, it is very functional - its dark so it doesn't clash with the part of your guitar's tone that cuts through, but is really not pretty. The BF'ed SF Deluxe Reverb I had had incredible reverb listening to so much live Phish recently motivated the purchase - I wanted something like a Fender, but with a shorter decay. I recently tried a TC Nova System (even though I swore a few years ago not to buy their gear) and was really unimpressed by the reverb - not sure if its at all the same as the HoF - their stock reverb sounded decent, but was overwhelming and I couldn't tame it and keep it sounding decent.

Delay - I didn't know the ARDx20 was 2 AD900s! The AD900, I'm pretty sure, is in the same lineage as the AD9. The RI Ibanez AD9 supposedly sucks, the RI Maxon is supposedly good, but I love vintage pedals and got it for $120, which seemed pretty good to me. Also, its pretty dark and I don't feel I 'need' tap tempo, but I'll bet its nice with the ARDx20 Amazeo.
I haven't opened it yet, but its an '83 by the serial number, the sticker is the black one (not 100% sure about this, but I think they switched to a different looking sticker in 83, so this seems its an early one). It would be built by Maxon in that era.

Red Dirt - Its basically the Keeley TS9 mods, but built into a pedal from scratch (with all of Keeley's choices of components - technically higher quality parts, but crappy parts are warm and good sounding to me ;) ). I discuss the differences from a stock Ibanez in my review of it, but its not transparent, but definitely less mids - I don't have a Silver in front of my, but I would say less than that. So its a TS, but with some of the TS-ness taken out of it ;). Its a good pedal, not what I would want for overdrive, but I could see a lot of people digging it, but its great for a clean boost, adding some color, compression and mild breakup.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

TheSeeker

Mild TS9 + Comp
Cranked TS9 + Comp
Mild>Cranked TS9 + Comp

I have a G12p-80 that I pulled out of my HRD III......I'm not sure the differences b/w the g12p and the g12...if there is one, but if you want it, it's yours free and clear!  I don't have much use for it and it's basically brand new.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: TheSeeker on June 12, 2013, 10:09:00 PM

Mild TS9 + Comp
Cranked TS9 + Comp
Mild>Cranked TS9 + Comp

I have a G12p-80 that I pulled out of my HRD III......I'm not sure the differences b/w the g12p and the g12...if there is one, but if you want it, it's yours free and clear!  I don't have much use for it and it's basically brand new.

Hey - thanks for the offer man!
I think the G12P is actually a Seventy Eighty, which is, confusing, a completely different speaker. 

TheSeeker

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 12, 2013, 10:20:15 PM

Mild TS9 + Comp
Cranked TS9 + Comp
Mild>Cranked TS9 + Comp

I think the G12P is actually a Seventy Eighty, which is, confusing, a completely different speaker. 

No problem man....it's a pretty bassy speaker, good for blues but I like my Blue Dog!!
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: TheSeeker on June 12, 2013, 10:26:08 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 12, 2013, 10:20:15 PM

Mild TS9 + Comp
Cranked TS9 + Comp
Mild>Cranked TS9 + Comp

No problem man....it's a pretty bassy speaker, good for blues but I like my Blue Dog!!

Yea, the 70/80 doesn't get great reviews to be honest - never tried one.

The Blue Dog is awesome - I've thought about going back to using (a Ceramic) one of those (Weber actually gave me one a few years ago!).

fulltone1989

Just got an RV7, very excited for it to arrive!  ;D
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fulltone1989 on October 20, 2013, 10:37:21 PM

I keep swapping mine in and out of my rig. Nice reverb pedal though.

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on October 23, 2013, 03:51:31 PM

Definitely a nice pedal. Found a sound on the plate setting I like a lot, but I'll spend more time with it this week/weekend. Do you use the buffered option? I heard these things have analog dry-thru which is pretty sweet. I have to reconfigure my board (again) though as the buffer on the Empress + the Buffer on the RV-7 would be redundant and have a negative effect. Too much buffrage!

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fulltone1989 on October 23, 2013, 03:59:11 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on October 23, 2013, 03:51:31 PM

Definitely a nice pedal. Found a sound on the plate setting I like a lot, but I'll spend more time with it this week/weekend. Do you use the buffered option? I heard these things have analog dry-thru which is pretty sweet. I have to reconfigure my board (again) though as the buffer on the Empress + the Buffer on the RV-7 would be redundant and have a negative effect. Too much buffrage!

The Plate setting is nice, I used to use the Hall setting, but its a bit too thick.

I had been using the Spring setting, but I can never dial in spring verb settings the exact way I want them; I like the initial springy noise, but not the long trail.

I was using the modulated setting recently - its almost got a predelay kinda sound that gives your notes a bit more space and clarity.

I think I have the buffered option on, but I'm not sure. If I have it in my rig, I have it turned on, so the buffered option just doesn't make a difference.

fulltone1989

Thanks for the tip, I haven't tried the modulated settings as much - kind of settled on plate. I like spring though as well, but that's when I was jamming on some reggae. I'm very new to reverbs, but I plan on sticking with a good sound on the RV-7 instead of chasing a similar creature to the OD dragon. That makes sense about the buffer though, didn't think of the obvious it's been a long work day! I must say though I am very excited about the stereo option so I can hook up my jamman stereo to the R out and use a seperate amp for my looped signal. This is my first hardwire, and I didn't realize how much of a tank this thing was!