Main Menu

Wah Suggestions

Started by tsbot, March 04, 2014, 11:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsbot

I'm in the market for a wah - my Vox 847 (I think 'A' model - guitar center $90).  Has crapped out - treadle falls down to toe position and I dislike how bright and shrill it is.  Any suggestion on a great wah - was considering a RMC3FL.

Thanks

Poster

meh those dont sound that great to me. The clyde fulltone is pretty dope if your going with something not custom made by someone for you. Michael Andrews uses one and it sounds great.

Buffered

I had an older RMC3 and found that it was a PITA to dial in. It's much easier with the FL option, worth a shot? Shop around and see if they offer a return policy.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

I'd agree with that. I have an older RMC3 and it was a pain in the ass to dial in. But, IMO, it's worth it. Once you have it dialed in, it sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

tsbot

Well I ordered a RMC3 w front controls (30 day return) so I'll see how that treats me!

Down_With_Sco

I own an RMC5 (Wizard Wah) and it sounds great! Idk if anyone else around here keeps up to date on them but Black Cat Pedals just announced a line of wah pedals (Classic or Modern and you can get the deluxe mod for external controls) and they sounds pretty damn good.

I've only seen one demo so far from the youtuber JustNick who I don't find consistently helpful. But I definitely consider getting one of those wahs eventually. Black Cat makes way too good of effects to pass up. Here's his demo:

http://youtu.be/e90vPQ80BMI
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Buffered

Love me some Black Cat. I'm not currently using a wah (plugging right into the ODS) but I love my Black Cat Vibe stomp version.

tsbot - Nice! Give a tone report when you find a funky vamp setting for hummies!
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

tsbot

Yea that is a concern of mine, how it'll do with the humbuckers. 

Buffered

Quote from: tsbot on March 05, 2014, 12:44:06 PM
Yea that is a concern of mine, how it'll do with the humbuckers. 

IIRC they shouldn't distort the wah so you should be good! Mine did that but after a pot swap it was fine.

IamWILSON

I recently got a Chase Tone Gypsy Wah... It was really expensive, but worth every penny!  It's kicked my RMC6 off my board.  If you haven't heard of Chase Tone, check out his website.  I got his custom tuned Dallas Arbiter Germanium Fuzzface a couple years ago (an older version than he sells now) and now his Gypsy wah, and he is probably one of the friendliest new pedal builder/boutique guys who really cares about his customers and that his products are top quality.  The dude has the skills to build and the ears to fine tune each of his creations to make sure they sound just right.  I have no affiliation, just really believe he is one of the best boutique guys out there and that some of you guys should check out his stuff.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Stecks

I had an 847, loved it, but yeah, it crapped out.  After about 10 years though

Some guy (HappyOrange) "donated" (heh) a Whipple Wah to me and now its my favorite I've ever played
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Happyorange27

Quote from: Stecks on March 17, 2014, 04:25:03 PM
I had an 847, loved it, but yeah, it crapped out.  After about 10 years though

Some guy (HappyOrange) "donated" (heh) a Whipple Wah to me and now its my favorite I've ever played

Yeah..."donated"   ;)  (I'll never see it again I'm assuming).  I've got several wahs to mess with anyway.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Stecks

You'll see it again :-)
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

tsbot

Well I got the RMC3 front loaded - just after the first post so I've had it a few weeks.  I am totally diggin it right now - got it dialed in and it sounds great w the hollow body and some dirt - sounds great clean too.